Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You sure seem to have an unusually great deal of information about these families. The only thing you didn't tell us was when they got their welfare checks.

I'd be interested in hearing how you knew for a fact that no one in that home had an education or that your son was blamed for harming the handicapped boy simply because he was white.

...that is, of course, if this story is actually true. I find it odd that, in your world, any educated black person automatically qualifies as an "Oreo" and everyone else just so happens to be welfare queens and racist troublemakers. Do you observe the same truths among whites who aren't educated?
I lived next door to them for 17 years. You can learn a lot about your neighbors in that time. I watched each daughter drop out of school and get knocked up. The son worked as a waiter. The girls didn't work. Yes, I know what my neighbors did. Why wouldn't I? I lived right next to them for a decade and a half. I'm sure they knew what I did too.

As to knowing that my son was blamed? How do you think I know? The child's mother came over ready to skin my son alive for supposedly pushing her son off the porch in his wheel chair. Why wouldn't I know my child was falsely accused? Do you think the child's mother just decided to forget it? No, she came over looking for a pound of flesh. My son wasn't in the city though. Given he was up north, we know the neighbor kids falsely accused him. Why on God's good earth would you think I would not know about my son being accused? Or who accused him?

I didn't call them Oreo's that's what my neighbors did. Try to keep the story straight. I have never observed uneducated whites calling educated whites anything to their face. Yuppies behind their backs.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-14-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As a black person, I think there's some truth to it, primarily amongst the poorer and poorest blacks rather than the middle class. Unfortunately many middle class blacks absolutely refuse to make any distinction between the two and instead insist on calling these issues "black problems" as if we have this we're all in this together type of mentality. From the outside, I presume that this LOOKS like a "black problem" because we allow it to be categorized that way.

And sure, there are poor whites, Asians, Latinos etc who have similar views as those of poorer blacks, HOWEVER middle/upper white people (especially) have drawn a clear line between the values that they hold between themselves and the poorer ones. Whenever there is a discussion about "white people" be it here, the news and anywhere else--we never really discuss the poor ones and their"bad habits" because we have been trained to discuss those issues as a class distinction rather than a one in the same type issue with middle class whites. You rarely if ever hear them blending the two of them together.
I think that we (black people) are aware of the class differences. it is how we are treated due to our common skin color which forges a sense of unity. enough time spent around many black people or on black forums makes it clear that there are differences among class.

but I also suspect that we are unique as a people in that our extended families can span SES lines. it isn't unheard of for successful middle class, upper middle class black people to have uncles, cousins, sometimes siblings who are poor or even in the system.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,101 times
Quote:
"Talking white", "too good for the hood", etc. And other factoids oft repeated by those typically middle-aged and old whites (and arrogant blacks) who have little to no actual experience with young blacks...outside of the evening news, of course. This is the most ridiculous and overblown stereotype about blacks that I wish would just die already.

Coming from this community myself, I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of inner-city blacks do indeed place a value on education. For those who aren't able to get one for themselves, they still congratulate their peers who are able to make it so far. If I had a nickel for every time another young black man or woman told me they had plans to pursue a degree or certificate, I'd have enough money to fund your child's college education.

At the grade school level, you do have teasing aimed at the "nerds" or "good students" and higher value placed on being cool and popular, but, the last time I checked, this was not exclusive to black children.

Enough already.

The numbers prove that's a false statement.

High School Graduation Rate For Black Males Trails White Students

http://www.csg.org/pubs/capitolideas.../issue6_3.aspx

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
If you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, then it's not directed at you.
Oh, I think I'm quite familiar with what you're talking about and it's all about this:

Quote:
...those typically middle-aged and old whites (and arrogant blacks)...

Enough already.
Enough indeed!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Absolutely correct OP.

It's one of the biggest and most persistent myths in existence.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
"Talking white", "too good for the hood", etc. And other factoids oft repeated by those typically middle-aged and old whites (and arrogant blacks) who have little to no actual experience with young blacks...outside of the evening news, of course. This is the most ridiculous and overblown stereotype about blacks that I wish would just die already.

Coming from this community myself, I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of inner-city blacks do indeed place a value on education. For those who aren't able to get one for themselves, they still congratulate their peers who are able to make it so far. If I had a nickel for every time another young black man or woman told me they had plans to pursue a degree or certificate, I'd have enough money to fund your child's college education.

At the grade school level, you do have teasing aimed at the "nerds" or "good students" and higher value placed on being cool and popular, but, the last time I checked, this was not exclusive to black children.

Enough already.
You're right, white kids do the same thing. I remember in high school hanging out with some of the stupid "heads" as we liked to call them, and I used the word agile. They all laughed at me and basically made fun of me because they had no clue what the word meant. I was always a big reader with a big vocabulary, but I didn't go around using $5.00 words all the time. I certainly didn't think saying someone was very agile was hard to understand. It even made sense in the context of the sentence. Anyway, I didn't hang around that crowd too long.

It would be nice if we could honor scientists instead of athletes and movie stars, but I won't hold my breath.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
You sure seem to have an unusually great deal of information about these families. The only thing you didn't tell us was when they got their welfare checks.

I'd be interested in hearing how you knew for a fact that no one in that home had an education or that your son was blamed for harming the handicapped boy simply because he was white.

...that is, of course, if this story is actually true. I find it odd that, in your world, any educated black person automatically qualifies as an "Oreo" and everyone else just so happens to be welfare queens and racist troublemakers. Do you observe the same truths among whites who aren't educated?
I took his post to mean that the black family on welfare was the one automatically assuming the educated black person qualified as Oreos, not that this poster felt that way.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
I'm black and my worry isn't about education since plenty of blacks in New York City attend college. What I do notice however is that the family values in some of these neighborhoods are terrible.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
You could not be more wrong. As the husband of an eductor who teaches "in the hood" of Strawberry mansion at a grade school, she sees this stuff all the time. The black children do act like this. My wife experiences this all the time. You get black kids who think that if you are too smart that you are "acting white".
You can deny this all you want. And yes the black community does not value education as it should.
I do not know of any other group of people that has millions of dollars poured into it for all sorts of programs, and very few take advantage of it. And when they do , they get the "uncle Tom" treatment.

Quote:

Enough already.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
You could not be more wrong. As the husband of an eductor who teaches "in the hood" of Strawberry mansion at a grade school, she sees this stuff all the time. The black children do act like this. My wife experiences this all the time. You get black kids who think that if you are too smart that you are "acting white".
You can deny this all you want. And yes the black community does not value education as it should.
I do not know of any other group of people that has millions of dollars poured into it for all sorts of programs, and very few take advantage of it. And when they do , they get the "uncle Tom" treatment.
I'm black and I do not agree with America spoiling black people. If anything the failures of the black community is the aid poured in.

All of this stuff is simply choice. The reason why there are a lot of screw ups is because of the spoiled society we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.