Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM

379 posts, read 579,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Talking white", "too good for the hood", etc. And other factoids oft repeated by those typically middle-aged and old whites (and arrogant blacks) who have little to no actual experience with young blacks...outside of the evening news, of course. This is the most ridiculous and overblown stereotype about blacks that I wish would just die already.

Coming from this community myself, I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of inner-city blacks do indeed place a value on education. For those who aren't able to get one for themselves, they still congratulate their peers who are able to make it so far. If I had a nickel for every time another young black man or woman told me they had plans to pursue a degree or certificate, I'd have enough money to fund your child's college education.

At the grade school level, you do have teasing aimed at the "nerds" or "good students" and higher value placed on being cool and popular, but, the last time I checked, this was not exclusive to black children.

Enough already.
What would do you live in?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,310,835 times
I went to Lincoln middle school near the elyton projects of bham, and what I observed is way different than the observations of op. The teachers segregated the kids by academic merit and behavior, I ended up in the top class group (this was done after sixth grade) and my group had six males out of a class of twenty five. I once had a male classmate's (from another group) mom asked if I could teach her kid. Mind-boggling. There was a short stint in the Kiwanis club where we got mocked for trying to clean the school up. There was little interest in the math club and the academic team (I'm proud to say we performed admirably).

Old 04-15-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I'm black and I do not agree with America spoiling black people. If anything the failures of the black community is the aid poured in.

All of this stuff is simply choice. The reason why there are a lot of screw ups is because of the spoiled society we live in.
As black Americans we are burden with an odd legacy. Majority of black slaves were sent to the backwards south, a region that long looked down on longterm values such as education and savings. in addition, we live in a white dominated society with an electorate that favors policies that tend to negatively affects the rest of us. War on drugs, unionization of industries, minimum wage, occupational licensing,etc.

My childhood stint in St. Lucia was an eye opener. I saw a predominantly black nation vigorously engage in entrepreneurship and were super hardcore when it came to education. Families helped each other.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Cool story , but who cares? Stop worrying about what other people think and do what you gotta do for yourself and family.
As a black person, I want to say that I actually agree with the above. I feel that black people put too much emphasis on trying to "prove" to white people and others that we are "just as good" as them. As a black person, I know that I am way better than most of the white people I know lol. May sound arrogant, but that is just me and I am just cocky like that!

My kids are better than other people's kids too BTW.

I feel too many blacks have this inferiority complex and this makes them continuously want to prove something to someone else about black people. But FWIW, I do agree with the OP. I grew up poor, my mom was a single teen mom on welfare. I was expected to get all As in school and I did. My brothers were expected to do the same (there were 4 of us all together). I lived in "the hood" and my dad was a petty criminal and drug dealer so I knew a lot of prostitutes, drug dealers, addicts, just all kinds of characters and ALL of those people were supportive of me and my goal to go to college and get an education and to stay out of trouble. Many of them said they would and they did, threaten and beat up other people who spoke ill of me and my nerdiness (mostly teachers, I had a couple issues with teachers when I was in elementary school and jr. high). I know that they were integral to me achieving my education and my goals in life and I still think of them often. One of my "play cousins" who used to beat up boys who messed with me recently was murdered. He was known as a very rough person and did multiple stints in prison. He was always supportive of me and he paid for my books when I didn't have enough money to pay for them in my first year of college. So even those who people think are horrific people, most have a soft side. It is difficult to explain in writing, but most of the "criminals" I knew were very decent at their core and they knew they didn't do the best they could have done with their own lives and they wanted the best for all the kids and did whatever they could to support us as long as we were on the right path. Once you made the choice though to go to the other side, they expected you to do the crazy sh * t that they did lol. But to this day, I am still respected as someone who "made it" and who doesn't look down on my people and relatives who didn't make the decisions that I made or who faced different circumstances. They know I come from where they come from and even went through sometimes worse experiences than they did, so I get a lot of respect for my own achievements and they still will "put someone in check" who tries to say anything negative about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Funny I only got called an oreo by the white kids at my school.
This is true. I was told I "talked like a white girl" by a white teacher in grade school. But FWIW, I was teased for being nerdy (until I got said cousin above to come to school lol) but that had nothing to do with me being black. I went to integrated schools and the majority of my friends were white and Asian kids in the TAG program and my cousin was nice enough to protect them too because he thought we were nice kids and shouldn't be bothered for being smart enough to want to do well in school and do something with our lives. Many white and Asian kids where I am from are poor too and went through the same things I went through. All of us lived in the same neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Actually your links prove that what the OP saying is true. The rates of achievement for black males, according to your links are improving and have been steadily improving for many years. The Huff Post article said that it would take 50 years for black males to close the gap in regards to going to college after high school, and I actually believe that that is what it will take. Black people were denied the opportunity to achieve via education for many years and only in the past 50 years have we had that full opportunity given to us. Due to the fact we are at a disadvantage in regards to statistics based on the history of our country's racial discrimination, I personally do think it will take at least 100 years from the passage of the CRA for us to close educational gaps. And I see this as a reality and nothing to be ashamed of on the part of black people.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM

I don't think Jim Crow prevented blacks from learning. Blacks achieved the sharpest decrease in illiteracy in mankind history after slavery ended. I think the welfare state and a jacked up education system is undermining improvements.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
I don't think Jim Crow prevented blacks from learning. Blacks achieved the sharpest decrease in illiteracy in mankind history after slavery ended. I think the welfare state and a jacked up education system is undermining improvements.

That's just what you think. And I didn't say it stopped black people "from learning" only that it decreased the opportunities for black people to achieve in life.

I have shared before the story of Paul Laurence Dunbar. He was gifted academically and went to school in Dayton, Ohio with the Wright Brothers. He was the valedictorian of their high school. But after graduating he could not get a job befitting his academic talents, he had to be an elevator man until he found fame writing "ethnic poetry" using black vernacular. He didn't find fame writing his non-ethnic poetry because whites liked to hear the slang sort of language read. And FWIW, I love all his writing, but his story is indicative of what many educated black people experienced and is even something Booker T. Washington spoke about. That you can teach black people to excel in certain areas, but due to them being black, their opportunities are limited, which is why he also advocated teaching black people to do trades well.

Only recently have black Americans been given the opportunity to do whatever we want to do. And I also didn't mention Jim Crow specifically either, just the discriminatory past of our country. Paul L. Dunbar was born in Ohio and lived in Ohio. I am from Ohio and my family has been there since immediately after slavery ended in 1865. Discrimination does not equal southern Jim Crow. Northern discrimination, was just as damaging economically and as an aside educationally versus that faced by black people in the south under Jim Crow.

In regards to the decrease in illiteracy, that is pretty laughable if that is your basis for proving that "blacks can learn." No one said blacks cannot learn. The thread is about black people "looking down on education." Everyone can learn and of course we would have had the sharpest increase in literacy after slavery since it was no longer illegal for black people to become literate!!

The "welfare state" doesn't have much to do with supporting a child in achieving his/her education. As stated, my mom was on welfare when I was born through when I was 6 years old. She now owns her own business. All of her kids finished high school (the last one recently). Three out of 4 went to college. One make $65K in a union job but is still thinking of going to college so he can make more money.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,655,455 times
Residinghere2007- Much respect to you and your family , wish you wealth and a healthy life. I wish more people in general not just black people would think like you. Like you said, people can play the game and dwell and look for excuses or be a man and get **** done to better yourself and family. You in my books are a real MAN.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM

If Dunbar majored in literature, that's not surprising. Plenty of whites would've matched that so why take the risk?

My post slavery insertion is to indicate that even in the more dire of circumstances, blacks ascended up the educational ladder.

The welfare state has soaked up public schools with many kids that are really dysfunctional or pretending to be so that mom can get that extra $$$$. Encouraging a teen to have kid is just a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Considering that it was illegal to educate slaves or even teach them to read, I am having a very difficult time buying this. What is your source?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,659,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
It all depends on the family.

I come from a black family that values education. In my extended we have a half dozen in Ivy Leagues and over half of my family total has gone to college. I am third generation college.

This isn't necessarily a rarity. Another example is Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson. He is fourth generation college educated IIRC.

*shrug*
That meme comes from the over vocal minority. Misery loves company, some people will always ridcule hard work and success. When a person is too lazy to sit down and apply themselves in school, they will try to recruit others, by talking down the studious, and talk up themselves as just being too cool for school, while speaking in broken English by dropping certain letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.