Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
OK.

It's been a while since I've read about this case & I was distracted with some suppressor issues....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Didn't these kids break into this guy's house already a bunch of times?

And I'm fairly sure that this guy actually "laid in waiting' to catch them in the act?

And wasn't this guy assaulted before by at least one of the burglars?......I'm also fairly sure it was documented by the local police. Again, folks...correct me if I need it....

And what's wrong with being a gun lover?
OK man, so what do you think about the bumper analogy

I thought it was pretty spot on.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Using deadly force against intruders is OK by me. If you break into my home, I am shooting you center mass at point blank range with my 12ga.

Executing subdued intruders is murder. A worse crime than the intruders were ostensibly there to commit.

The way some people on here look at it, once a person is illegaly in your house, you can do -whatever- you want to them. Execute them, torture them, rape them, enslave them...
You said it perfect.

The self defense argument ended the moment he shot the girl the in head or as he called it " a clean finishing shot to the head"......

Most people in my life are pro gun and would defend a break in with deadly force. But all of them agree that this is murder.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 04-25-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You said it perfect.

The self defense argument ended the moment he shot the girl the head or as he called it " a clean finishing shot to the head"......

Most people in my life are pro gun and would defend a breaking with deadly force. But all of them agree that this is murder.
Nothing undermines gun owner's rights and the battle to protect said rights, more than an idiot doing what the man on trial did.
After downing the intruders he then used his weapons shoot people who were clearly disabled. The Clean finishing shot to the head.....
Make no mistake, if I were the victim of multiple break ins I would be irate. I would center mass any intruder who was dumb enough to repeat. That said only a lunatic would do what that man did.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
OK.

It's been a while since I've read about this case & I was distracted with some suppressor issues....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Didn't these kids break into this guy's house already a bunch of times?
I do believe that is correct
Quote:
And I'm fairly sure that this guy actually "laid in waiting' to catch them in the act?
Yup, even put in supplies, and parked so his truck wasn't there

Quote:
And wasn't this guy assaulted before by at least one of the burglars?......I'm also fairly sure it was documented by the local police. Again, folks...correct me if I need it....
If by "assaulted" you mean "they bled on his stiars so he drug them over to tarps, then executed the one still alive"....sure.

Theres audio of it all, he shot the one guy 2-3 times, drug him over onto the tarps, then waited. 11 minutes later the girl came, called out his the dead guys name, and he shot her, called her some names, told her she was dead, shot her more....drug her body over to the other one on the tarps he had out, realized she was still gasping for breath, and put one in under her chin while calling her a name.

Quote:
And what's wrong with being a gun lover?
depends....on HOW you love your guns....

Quote:
Wondering why Advanced Armament or ANY other suppressor co. doesn't even bother to divulge the cost of the tax stamp for the ability to even buy one?
To avoid their customers having heart failure would be my guess.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
This is really not about the right to defend yourself. Most people, regardless of how they feel, would say this guy is crazy. A normal sane person don't do this.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
I'm mostly pro gun rights, but I have a hard time with this case. There's nothing wrong with owning a gun. A home owner should have the right to defend themselves. That said, Smith is not your ordinary senior citizen defending his farmhouse. Smith was a military man, combat veteran & career "security consultant" for the Department of State. Something tells me these weren't his first kills. He moved his truck up the road & hid it to make it appear no one was home. He loaded several guns, got supplies & hid down in the basement for hours lying in ambush. After the two teens were shot & disabled he killed them anyhow. He shot them in the face. He shot them multiple times, even admitting he shot them too many times. The police had told him specifically to call immediately if he suspected someone was trying to break in. Not only did Smith not call immediately, he didn't even report the shooting the same day, saying he didn't want to bother the police with a homicide on Thanksgiving. I don't think you can prove 1st degree murder, but my guess is he'll be convicted of 2nd degree murder. Even manslaughter could be a life sentence for the 65 y/o Jones. His goose is cooked.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
If Byron Smith was so sure he'd done the right and legal thing, why did he wait a day before telling his neighbor to call the police?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm mostly pro gun rights, but I have a hard time with this case. There's nothing wrong with owning a gun. A home owner should have the right to defend themselves. That said, Smith is not your ordinary senior citizen defending his farmhouse. Smith was a military man, combat veteran & career "security consultant" for the Department of State. Something tells me these weren't his first kills. He moved his truck up the road & hid it to make it appear no one was home. He loaded several guns, got supplies & hid down in the basement for hours lying in ambush. After the two teens were shot & disabled he killed them anyhow. He shot them in the face. He shot them multiple times, even admitting he shot them too many times. The police had told him specifically to call immediately if he suspected someone was trying to break in. Not only did Smith not call immediately, he didn't even report the shooting the same day, saying he didn't want to bother the police with a homicide on Thanksgiving. I don't think you can prove 1st degree murder, but my guess is he'll be convicted of 2nd degree murder. Even manslaughter could be a life sentence for the 65 y/o Jones. His goose is cooked.
And yet, they still made the choice to break and enter. But as you said, this man was trained and armed and obviously off balanced mentally.

Sounds like the initial shots on the boy were lethal so he shouldn't be charged with murder for that. But the girl? Finishing her off the way he did? I don't know how he walks away on that charge, but it won't be murder. I would guess manslaughter with special circumstances and he ends up getting required psych evaluation/incarceration. In the end I don't think he'll have guns anymore.

I wonder if his house has been broken into since this? I bet not.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Nothing undermines gun owner's rights and the battle to protect said rights, more than an idiot doing what the man on trial did.
After downing the intruders he then used his weapons shoot people who were clearly disabled. The Clean finishing shot to the head.....
Make no mistake, if I were the victim of multiple break ins I would be irate. I would center mass any intruder who was dumb enough to repeat. That said only a lunatic would do what that man did.

I fully agree with the bolded, underlined above.
I really question the wisdom of 2nd Amendment supporters trying to defend this man's actions.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Round 2

I remember the thread about this. Time to rehash it a bit.

Byron Smith: Trial set to begin for Minnesota man who fatally shot teens in his home - CBS News

Under Minnesota law, a person may use deadly force to prevent a felony from taking place in one's home or dwelling, but authorities have said Smith crossed a line when he continued to shoot the teens after they were no longer a threat.
This reminds me of the pharmacy overkill story a few years ago.

People need to understand the law: you have the right to defend yourself; you don't have the right to keep shooting after the threat has passed, otherwise it becomes murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies