Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The Republican governor of NV has now publicly come out and said Republicans in Congress cutting off unemployment insurance was a mistake and he's calling on his own party to reverse course and restore unemployment insurance benefits to their previous level.

First GOP Governor Calls On Boehner To Extend Unemployment Benefits
It's a circle, Obama's policies are dragging down the economy, which means fewer jobs, and more economic despair. As long as Obama continues to push his failed ideas and keep unemployment high, it creates a self-fulfilling need for these social welfare programs.

I know from personal experience that some folks look at over a year's worth of free unemployment money, and they go into couch potato mode, only looking for a job when they think their time is about to run out.

Meanwhile other folks use the extended unemployment comp as a buffer, to justify holding out, and settling for nothing less then that one really great job out there.

My heart goes out to the people who are beating the bushes but can't seem to find anything but poverty waged jobs, and I'm angry at the slugs who take advantage of our generosity to play video games and enjoy a six month vacation on our dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Long before?
yup. Real wages have been flat for a long time.

Quote:
Don't play ignorant with me. We had 4-5% UE under Bush
ignorant?

when Bush came into office, unemployment was 4%

when Bush left office, unemployment was 7.8%

those are the facts.

Quote:
Do not act as if this horrible economy existed "long before" Obama came to Washington.
we're not talking about the economy, we're talking about jobs and wages.

but if you want to change the subject talk about the economy as a whole, we'd have to include the stock markets.... and the S&P 500 has more than doubled since Obama took office, rising by 115%.

Quote:
Psssst, you fools elected him BECAUSE you claimed he would turn the economy around. But now that it's only gotten worse, you act as you never thought Obama was actually going to accomplish anything or solve any problems at all.
I don't appreciate being called a "fool." I think that's a personal attack, against forum rules.

Personally -- i knew that whoever won the '08 election was going to have to deal with severe economic issues, no matter who it was -- and I believed that before i'd even heard the name 'barack obama.'

If you dispute that, you can look up my posts from that time period yourself.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They aren't pushing for this?
no, they aren't pushing for more illegal immigration.

they ARE pushing for amnesty .. which i have no strong opinions about. but that isn't illegal immigration.

illegal immigration is caused by weak border controls. and the weak border was supported by the rural republican farmers all over the country, who wanted an influx of cheap labor to pick their crops. Sort of like Jeb Bush and his "act of love" comment.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I'm no expert but I'd need examples and context to determine whether you have a point here or not. The article doesn't.
It's simple.

We tax the people mining the ore, transporting the ore, refining the ore, shipping the refined ore, using the ore in manufacturing, shipping the end product, selling the end product and then purchasing the product.

You can add all the revenue collected from regulations, and all the money that go into complying with all the regulations too, and the slice of the pie that government takes out of our pockets is freaking huge. Oh, and it's not enough and you are "not paying your fair share."

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
I'll probably be flamed for this, but here goes. If everything is going so well and everyone can get a job that pays decently enough to provide for themselves and their families then isn't Obama doing a great job?

- A conservative who doesn't blame the unemployed and then turn around and blame the Democrats the next

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-17-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
no, they aren't pushing for more illegal immigration.

they ARE pushing for amnesty .. which i have no strong opinions about. but that isn't illegal immigration.
LOL....O.K. Really a chuckle is all I have here.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
It's simple.

We tax the people mining the ore, transporting the ore, refining the ore, shipping the refined ore, using the ore in manufacturing, shipping the end product, selling the end product and then purchasing the product.
Who should get by with not being taxed? If I mine the ore I should get taxed but if I refine it, I shouldn't?

All the same it isn't true. Miner A mines ore...he is paid $25 an hour which he is taxed on. It cost the mining company (I have no idea what the actual numbers are) $200 a ton to have it mined. They sell if for $225 a ton. They pay taxes on the $25. The refiner pays $225 and after refining they have $265 a ton in it. They sell it for $299 a ton getting taxed on the $34. The end retailer pays $299 and sells if for $325 getting taxed on the $26. Nothing is taxed twice. The profit is taxed in each step.

Quote:
You can add all the revenue collected from regulations, and all the money that go into complying with all the regulations too, and the slice of the pie that government takes out of our pockets is freaking huge. Oh, and it's not enough and you are "not paying your fair share."
There are redundant regulations and some not being enforced. That's a different topic.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The current unemployment rate is almost exactly the same as 2007 when Bush was President so you need to stop lying.

U.S. jobless claims hover near pre-recession levels | Reuters
Lying? Why, because you lack the ability to understand the topic at hand? We were at or under 5% UE at this point in 2007.

Unemployment rate: LNU04000000

Civilian labor force participation rate: LNS11300000

We have millions of fewer people working today then in 2007, even though our population has grown, so you tell me how we are supposed to put faith in the U3 unemployment figures. you are the one being lied to by your government, and you are fat dumb and happy about it too.

Last edited by OICU812; 04-17-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Who should get by with not being taxed? If I mine the ore I should get taxed but if I refine it, I shouldn't?

All the same it isn't true. Miner A mines ore...he is paid $25 an hour which he is taxed on. It cost the mining company (I have no idea what the actual numbers are) $200 a ton to have it mined. They sell if for $225 a ton. They pay taxes on the $25. The refiner pays $225 and after refining they have $265 a ton in it. They sell it for $299 a ton getting taxed on the $34. The end retailer pays $299 and sells if for $325 getting taxed on the $26. Nothing is taxed twice. The profit is taxed in each step.

There are redundant regulations and some not being enforced. That's a different topic.
I gave you an analogy, an illustration, of the numerous of times we are taxed to create and even purchase an end product. You just seem to be fine with a system that does it, and are trying to justify it because you've settled into the comfortable position of acceptance that it is, what it is.

If someone is already being taxed to create or sell a product, why tax the person who buys it? BTW, regulatory taxes do impact the cost of products we purchase and produce, not just income taxes from wages.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
I gave you an analogy, an illustration, of the numerous of times we are taxed to create and even purchase an end product. You just seem to be fine with a system that does it, and are trying to justify it because you've settled into the comfortable position of acceptance that it is, what it is.

If someone is already being taxed to create or sell a product, why tax the person who buys it? BTW, regulatory taxes do impact the cost of products we purchase and produce, not just income taxes from wages.
Generally, all the costs of the goods and services I sell are written off.......the taxes are in there.

I do not charge sales tax because we are agricultural....but, if I did the customer would be the only one really paying.

Like I paid at the mall yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies