Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
ALL of you Democrats/Obama supporters, 100% of you, dodged the questions. None of you can even address them. You are fine with corruption, so long as it is your party benefiting from it. I wonder why our country is so messed up with so many people like you in both parties, especially among the Obamabots?
The cult-like following of some, absent of common sense and logic, is outright startling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Lefties and their love of power hunger. Not surprising.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
No, because the question at hand is the actions of 501(c)(4) groups. Following the Citizens United decision these groups became what are commonly called Super PACs. IRS rules state that they are not allowed to have their primary focus be political advocacy. So the issue comes when a Super PAC spends more than 50% of their funds on political advocacy.

This would be abusing the privileges of being given tax-exempt status and going against the rules laid down by the IRS. It's fairly widely known that there are a LOT of groups on both sides that have been abusing these rules and basically using all funds collected towards advertisements and support of politicians. Hence the IRS cracking down on these groups. The question is did they do so on a partisan slant or did they go after all the possible offenders equally.

The law is there, to use it like they were doing so is in fact abusing it.
IF they are guilty of breaking any law then they should be prosecuted.

An organization CANNOT operate UNTIL they have been granted status by the IRS.

In this case organization STILL haven't been given their status so, how are they "abusing" any law?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

In this case organization STILL haven't been given their status so, how are they "abusing" any law?
They are abusing PROGRESSIVE law by opposing them.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's been well established that is not the case. See page 52, marked as page 46:

http://beta.congress.gov/113/crpt/hr...113hrpt415.pdf

Here's a snippet:

I can't open your link, and rather than referencing parts of her email why not just post the complete email.

That is not what Lerner's emails indicated in the OP's post, the manager insinuated that the screening took place with low level employees.

I see an agency trying to deal with the aftermath of the supreme court decision and the flood of 501c's particularly Tea Party type groups, they were incorrect in their procedures but I just do not see greater forces at work.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I wonder what the exact unit of measurement is for a smidgen.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
The question is did they do so on a partisan slant or did they go after all the possible offenders equally.
During the time frame that was audited by the IG there wasn't a single case where groups with the term "progressive" that were flagged because of their name. 100% of groups with "Tea Party", "patriots" and a few others were flagged for review. The handful of groups with "progressive" in their name that were flagged for review were flagged for other reasons that would have been triggered by any group.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can't open your link, and rather than referencing parts of her email why not just post the complete email.
It's slow link and rather large document. The references to her email are nearly the whole thing.

Quote:
..they were incorrect in their procedures but I just do not see greater forces at work.
These hearings will continue until we find out.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I wonder what the exact unit of measurement is for a smidgen.
My Grandmother would know, she's fantastic baker but if you ask her for recipe it comes out as a "handful of flour", "a smidgen of salt".... LOL It never tastes the same as hers.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

In Obama's America, conservative groups are guilty before they act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

That is not what Lerner's emails indicated in the OP's post, the manager insinuated that the screening took place with low level employees.

I see an agency trying to deal with the aftermath of the supreme court decision and the flood of 501c's particularly Tea Party type groups, they were incorrect in their procedures but I just do not see greater forces at work.
How much of a sheep are you? How often do you think for yourself? Do you literally wait for your talking points before you post?

Many of the talking points that are shoveled into your mouth by the left have already been proven wrong.

This targeting did not start by line level people in Cincinnati. It came from DC.

It was not due to an influx of processing new groups...(in fact this process of harassing them with questions like what they pray about takes a longer time as evidenced by how they processed liberal groups).

Not a smidgen of corruption - eh, comrade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies