Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 02:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your claim is easily refuted here.....
How does the government go about buying whatever it is they are going to buy? To pick on one entity to make it simple, do they not let Goldman Sachs know ahead of time what they will be purchasing?

Once G.S. knows what the government will be purchasing do they not go out and buy up whatever it is? Do they then not sell this to the government at a profit?

What does G.S. do with this profit? Plow it into the markets? Sometimes commodities?

If you or I did this what would it be called and what would happen? Insider trading? We would go to prison?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
and the global warming cults for waging war on fossil fuels. Oh, I'm sure high gas prices will not cause major hardship on working families and especially on the poor. We all know that liberals are just always looking out for the little guy.

Gas Prices Rise Again, Move Closer to $4 - 24/7 Wall St.

I'm sorry, i missed the part of the President power list where it says he can set prices for gas.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:31 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If QE did nothing we should have ended it years ago.
WHO said it "did nothing"?
What? Do you absolutely need to jump from one extreme to the other? First you folks claim it's responsible for "raising commodity prices", for "pumping up the stock market" and anything else that wingnuts don't understand - THEN it suddenly does "nothing".

QE lowered long term interest rates. It has really nothing to do with commodity prices. It DOES impact home mortgage rates - and thus the overall housing market, but it has no real relationship to commodity prices, the stock market or much of anything else.

Ken

Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WHO said it "did nothing"?
What? Do you absolutely need to jump from one extreme to the other? First you folks claim it's responsible for "raising commodity prices", for "pumping up the stock market" and anything else that wingnuts don't understand - THEN it suddenly does "nothing".
The discussion is here for all to read. Its not my argument that it foes nothing. I posted a few pages ago what it is. Insider trading for the select few.

Quote:
QE lowered long term interest rates. It has really nothing to do with commodity prices. It DOES impact home mortgage rates - and thus the overall housing market, but it has no real relationship to commodity prices, the stock market or much of anything else.

Ken
It didn't keep the dollar suppressed? I noted earlier how it does affect.commodity prices. You skipped that post.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The discussion is here for all to read. Its not my argument that it foes nothing. I posted a few pages ago what it is. Insider trading for the select few.

It didn't keep the dollar suppressed? I noted earlier how it does affect.commodity prices. You skipped that post.
Insider trading of WHAT?

It "affects commodity prices" HOW?
About 1/4 of the time that there's been QE commodity prices have risen, about 1/4 of the time there's been QE commodity prices have fallen, and about 1/2 of the time there's been QE commodity prices have been flat.
What affect did it have on commodity prices - a rise, a fall, or or do nothing?
ALL those have happened while QE was in effect so WHAT exactly affect did QE have on commodity prices? There's no real pattern at all.
If you disagree show us a pattern. There is none - which pretty much undermines the theory that it's had much of an impact on commodity prices.

Ken

Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Insider trading of WHAT?

It "affects commodity prices" HOW
I posted it, you ignored It and now you want me to repeat myself. For you to ignore again?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I posted it, you ignored It and now you want me to repeat myself. For you to ignore again?
If you are referring to a relationship between QE and commodity prices, that's because what you posted didn't prove your point. There's NO real relationship between QE and commodity prices - no correlation at all. You make the CLAIM that there is, but the actual facts don't back that claim up.
Did commodity prices get a temporary bump from QE early on?
Possibly - no one can say for sure.
But one thing IS sure. Even IF there WAS a tentative relationship early on, that was YEARS AGO now and that relationship has longgggggggggggg since broken down and at this stage there's clearly no relationship at all.

Ken

Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
If you are referring to a relationship between QE and commodity prices, that's because what you posted didn't prove your point. There's NO real relationship between QE and commodity prices - no correlation at all. You make the CLAIM that there is, but the actual facts don't back that claim up.
Did commodity prices get a temporary bump from QE early on?
Possibly - no one can say for sure.
But one thing IS sure. Even IF there WAS a tentative relationship early on, that was YEARS AGO now and that relationship has longgggggggggggg since broken down and at this stage there's clearly no relationship at all.

Ken
I'll summarize your position here. There is no correlation. Well there might have been a correlation you just don't know.

You didn't address my actual points.

Does Goldman Sachs invest any of the insider trading money the government scams for them into commodities?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:

Does Goldman Sachs invest any of the insider trading money the government scams for them into commodities?

I work in the business and I'm not sure what you are asking. What insider trading money are you talking about? What scamming?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Politicians have no control over retail gasoline or diesel prices. Prices are set by the world wide petroleum cartel to maximize their profits without seriously reducing demand. Domestically oil companies use "zip code" data to set prices to obtain the same results. There is no real competition in this industry from the bottom to the top. These companies demonstrate the effectiveness of collusion and cooperation over competition. They are very good at colluding, legal or not, to maximize profits.

What world wide cartel are you speaking of? OPEC surely has done a poor job historically propping oil price up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies