Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You lose the bet, I never had a pet rock.
What do I win?

I am not woried about being wrong. Due to a lack of evidence I'll side from what we know from science and critical thinking (which is hard for most).

I am not afraid of any big, bad god who is going to threaten me with an afterlife of fire because I didn't grovel at his invisable feet. It's no one I want to worship even if it was real.

In keeping with the topic I said it was silly but if they want to pray before the game go right ahead. I do have the freedom to laugh to myself when I see it.
Praying is not going to keep them from injury (as documented by another poster on this thread) or help them win.
You are correct about all of that. But that is what has been done for years. You may think it "silly" but that is what kids do and have done for as long as I played and my child has played and before we both played. Nothing wrong with it.

It's not a medical thing. Just a "hope" that nobody gets hurt. That is a bad thing?

And if you never had a pet rock you missed out. Mine had red eyes and a yellow tail when I was a kid. Ah to be young again.............lol

Hell your from NZ so you must be a rugby guy right? Now I don't know if those guys pray before their games but my kid signed up for a local rugby club here in a few months...........can't play till your eighteen but I'd bet they say a quick prayer before their match when he gets on a team. It is an American thing and I think folks should just leave it alone. Some don't want to though. I'll have to ask him when the time comes. Or hopefully he gets a job or gets his ass to college........LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why meditate. If you want to then go in the corner and do so. I remember guys who would puke or punch lockers too as their pregame thing. Nobody cared. Why is that so hard to understand? Part of saying the prayer lets the players know they are gonna run out on the field and kill folks next minute. LOL

Quite conundrum but so are sports. Many would say hey "X" why are you meditating but if he went out and jacked some folks up the next week a lot of em would be doing the same thing. Sports are in reality stupid but they are in the same reality great. Lets you escape from reality for a while. You see some guy throw a 95 mile an hour fastball and say damn I could have hit that back in the day. That is why so many watch it all. Now why women are fans of men's sports is the question. I guess to get men???
So change the word to reflection. You can bet that if my son`s hockey coach insisted on dragging Jesus into it, there would be hell to pay. The parents wouldn't stand for it.
In any case, there's your misogyny oozing out. I like hockey. It has nothing to do with "getting men."
That's really stupid.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
And in today's societ all that "BS" is so bad?? LOL

There lies a problem in your think. They were asked as you say. You are full of sheet too if PT decided all that. Coach gets fired if they don't win. That is how it goes. You play your best kids at that level. You can try your games but they aren't working
You clearly didn't read up on this. Quite frankly, the woman appears to be borderline crazy, but yes players who did not at least pretend to be good, virginal, Christian girls were ostracised and discriminated against. The school lost quite a few players who left and went to other schools because of this coach. And, no the teams performance was not going to get this woman fired, she was the wife of the president...

Quote:
Oakland is one of how many universites and high schools in this nation and you want to flip this out. Sot you haters go. All you do. So because of this some gdam government officer should sit in on pregame rituals of every university and high school in the nation. Do you see how ridiculous you are being. I doubt it in the least. Why can't the nuts leave everybody alone is all we want.
I am asking for the nuts to leave everybody alone, including the nuts that coach sports teams. Do your job and leave the proselytising to the preachers and missionaries. I bring up OU because it is an example close to home. I recognize that not every Christian in a coaching capacity behaves like this, but Christian coaches sould use a reminder of the golden rule. If a Muslim, Hindu, or Luciferian coach set up the team organization the way they are, would they have a problem with it?

Come on, be honest, would you really be ok if the coach was exclusively endorsing the Fellowship of Muslim Athletes, had an Imam on staff at a public university, and lead prayers and devotionals to Allah? If that happened at Clemson, or even a little school like OU, the furor would not leave the news for months. But when it is Christians doing it, you somehow think it is ok? What happened to that teaching from some Jewish carpenter guy about treating others as you want to be treated?

I just wish more people of faith would recognize that someone's relationship with God is personal, and is not appropriate "team building" material. It cheapens your faith when used that way.

-NoCapo

Old 04-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So change the word to reflection. You can bet that if my son`s hockey coach insisted on dragging Jesus into it, there would be hell to pay. The parents wouldn't stand for it.
In any case, there's your misogyny oozing out. I like hockey. It has nothing to do with "getting men."
That's really stupid.
So you think hockey teams don't say a prayer...........oops you are from canada. They must drink syrup prior to a game sorry I forgot that.

Wait we.......the US.......took most of your hockey teams because you folks were........of course......too busy milking trees to go to the game. So it goes. I love syrup though. Makes for a good pancake. I hope you read this before its tossed........eh you will be the tosser. Just messing with you anyway. Why can't you figure that out.

Back to the point. Do what you want in Canada. If a hi skool coach who has been there for years fires up a hail mary or our father what is it to anybody else but the kids in the room?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You should read the link I posted... To recap, Oakland University had this very problem last year, a coach that made her religion vitally important to the team. The women were "asked" to participate in bible studies, pressured to join the FCA, attend church, questioned about their virginity, and their playing time depended on these things. Until this all blew up, it was pushed to the side as the coach leading a few prayers at practices, that sort of thing.

This combination of authority and religion is what I feel makes it inappropriate for a coach to be leading religious activities. If the players wish to pray, so be it. But when the coach is doing it, you can very easily get into a situation where a player has to either compromise their religious faith or be ostracised by their coach and team. This is not a choice public institutions should be forcing on people.

My question to you is, do you think that participating in prayer should be a factor in your child's sport? Should their playing time be related to religious activities? How certain are you that, if a coach believes in something very strongly, and a player will not participate, the player will get a fair shake? Me, I am not confident in that at all, which is why I believe coaches should stay out of religion peddling while they are on the clock.

-NoCapo
Evidently, some coaches baptize players on the 50 yard line.

Under Swinney, Clemson has had an outwardly religious program, which was discussed in a Chronicle of Higher Education feature last year. According to the piece, there are Bible studies for coaches twice a week, three other devotionals each week and a voluntary chapel for players the night before each game. Star receiver DeAndre Hopkins was baptized in a livestock trough on the 50-yard line after a practice in 2012. Swinney says he is up front about his faith.

Freedom From Religion Foundation complains about Clemson football program - SBNation.com

Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Under Swinney, Clemson has had an outwardly religious program, which was discussed in a Chronicle of Higher Education feature last year. According to the piece, there are Bible studies for coaches twice a week, three other devotionals each week and a voluntary chapel for players the night before each game. Star receiver DeAndre Hopkins was baptized in a livestock trough on the 50-yard line after a practice in 2012. Swinney says he is up front about his faith.

Freedom From Religion Foundation complains about Clemson football program - SBNation.com

Yep, and I find it to be an abuse of their position, of the taxpayer money that is sent to that school, and of their own faith. I find it telling that a believer feels that they need to leverage people's careers, education, and futures to get them interested in their religion. A God that wants "his" people to use that kind of social pressure and arm twisting is a pretty weak and insecure bully of a deity, in my opinion.

-NoCapo

Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You clearly didn't read up on this. Quite frankly, the woman appears to be borderline crazy, but yes players who did not at least pretend to be good, virginal, Christian girls were ostracised and discriminated against. The school lost quite a few players who left and went to other schools because of this coach. And, no the teams performance was not going to get this woman fired, she was the wife of the president...

I am asking for the nuts to leave everybody alone, including the nuts that coach sports teams. Do your job and leave the proselytising to the preachers and missionaries. I bring up OU because it is an example close to home. I recognize that not every Christian in a coaching capacity behaves like this, but Christian coaches sould use a reminder of the golden rule. If a Muslim, Hindu, or Luciferian coach set up the team organization the way they are, would they have a problem with it?

Come on, be honest, would you really be ok if the coach was exclusively endorsing the Fellowship of Muslim Athletes, had an Imam on staff at a public university, and lead prayers and devotionals to Allah? If that happened at Clemson, or even a little school like OU, the furor would not leave the news for months. But when it is Christians doing it, you somehow think it is ok? What happened to that teaching from some Jewish carpenter guy about treating others as you want to be treated?

I just wish more people of faith would recognize that someone's relationship with God is personal, and is not appropriate "team building" material. It cheapens your faith when used that way.

-NoCapo
So in your mind "nuts" coach sports teams. Do you realize who you are calling nuts? Me and thousands who volunteer to coach sports teams and do every year to you bit you tounge.

I have coached sports for twenty years and have never seen anybody forced to do anything you are just playing liberal dogma. You know it too. You sit here and think an Imam wouldn't FORCE them to pray. You gotta be kidding me. Unreal how the spin is here............tornado warning......

Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:

It appears I will be rooting for Clemson until you "Freedom From Religion" folks who don't even live in the US run him out. Bullies is what you have become but sadly you can't see it. Liberals are all bullies. Do as I say not as I do. Your mantra.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
So you think hockey teams don't say a prayer...........oops you are from canada. They must drink syrup prior to a game sorry I forgot that.

Wait we.......the US.......took most of your hockey teams because you folks were........of course......too busy milking trees to go to the game. So it goes. I love syrup though. Makes for a good pancake. I hope you read this before its tossed........eh you will be the tosser. Just messing with you anyway. Why can't you figure that out.

Back to the point. Do what you want in Canada. If a hi skool coach who has been there for years fires up a hail mary or our father what is it to anybody else but the kids in the room?
And......there it is. Your psychotic and sophomoric obsession with maple syrup.

So, if the coach fired up a prayer to Satan, you'd have no problem with it? What is it to anyone except the kids in the room, right?

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
So in your mind "nuts" coach sports teams. Do you realize who you are calling nuts? Me and thousands who volunteer to coach sports teams and do every year to you bit you tounge.
And if you impose your religious dogma on other people's children, then yes I am calling you a nut. I recognize that there are a lot of people who coach sports who understand that it is just inappropriate to pressure children into religious practices, but clearly there are some who do not. Those people have no business coaching at any level, period.

Quote:
I have coached sports for twenty years and have never seen anybody forced to do anything you are just playing liberal dogma. You know it too. You sit here and think an Imam wouldn't FORCE them to pray. You gotta be kidding me. Unreal how the spin is here............tornado warning......
No I am pretty serious. At OU, Muslim women were pressured to take part is Christian church services, and bible studies. The entire team was made to go to church services when on the road, players who did not fall in line with their coach's religious views were quickly sidelined. I am not making it up, it has been all over the news, more so that I expected. It is a small university, so I didn't figure it would be of more than local interest. Apparently this is a lot more widespread than just Rochester, Michigan.

My point about the Imam hit home as well. What I described was the explicitly religious atmosphere at Clemson, with a Christian pastor on staff, employee bible studies, and the coach performing baptisms on the field! My point was if it was some other religion doing it you would be outraged, and sure enough, mention the word Imam and there you go. The hypocricy is palpable. If you don't trust someone from another religion to refrain from indoctrinating and pressuring the players, why should any parent trust you? Why not leave your religion at the door, and coach sports? Why is it so important to any coach that they get all the player to pray to Jesus? If players want to pray, go for it. The coach should stay out of it.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies