Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The Property Tax Be Abolished?
Yes 32 50.00%
No 28 43.75%
Other, Explain 3 4.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In the other thread you said they are paying it through rent which I would agree with, wouldn't it simply be better exposed as a tax instead of hidden in the cost of the rent?
Why does it need to be exposed; to make others feel better? Property tax is passed from the owner to the renter, and is included in the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
How do you feel about Alaska? What about Tennessee? I don't think this needs to be said, but the places with no property taxes aren't going to have much of anything.
I'm not sure I understand?

My response was confirming everyone who has a residence is paying property taxes. If there is a place where this isn't the case, please let me know so I can move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Property taxes are here to stay.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, there is many places with movements to abolish them. This is current in PA and would eliminate all school property taxes.

Bill Information - House Bill 76; Regular Session 2013-2014 - PA General Assembly

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
I would have liked to see the clause "the right to ownership of property" written into our constitution, but it was not. Still I believe that once purchased, your average family should have the right to ownership of a very basic home without it being taken away. Nowadays it can be very easily taken away due to high taxes (town,county,state) or have a lien put on it by such entities, which amounts to the same thing. Do anything else for failure of tax payment, jail, fine, garnishment of wages/benefits. But the one very basic home stays in the family......period.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 AM

15,060 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Because it is on government land.

What is your proposal for an alternative?
What is government? Is it a person? A corporation? A business?

And how can property purchased by an individual be owned by that individual, yet remain "government land"?

Is not the purchase of property a transfer of owernership? Would you buy something, knowing that someone else kept the actual ownership of the thing you purchased? If so, I have a few things I'd like to sell you.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 AM

15,060 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Why does it need to be exposed; to make others feel better? Property tax is passed from the owner to the renter, and is included in the rent.

My response was confirming everyone who has a residence is paying property taxes. If there is a place where this isn't the case, please let me know so I can move!
I thought you are in favor of property tax? Or is it that you are in favor of everyone else paying, but would like not to pay yourself?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Why does it need to be exposed; to make others feel better?
Because when someone walks into a store and buys something they see what they are paying in tax. This is why liberals are so against the fair tax, you expose those tax expenses to the masses. If Joe schmoe pays $300 for a TV and only sees $18 in sales tax he's not that impressed. If Joe Schmoe pays $200 for the same TV and sees $118 in tax that is going to catch his attention.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And how can property purchased by an individual be owned by that individual, yet remain "government land"?
He's right, you don't own the land. You rent it from the government. The only way you could ever truly own property is if the property tax is eliminated.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:

I updated my post.

Anderson, AK
Cooperstown, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that, there is many places with movements to abolish them. This is current in PA and would eliminate all school property taxes.

Bill Information - House Bill 76; Regular Session 2013-2014 - PA General Assembly
I thought conservatives hated income taxes though. I mean, I thought the logic was you can't control your income from going up (and paying more tax), but you can always buy a cheaper house.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLife78
Well then that is a principle you will be on the losing end of until the day you die. Property taxes aren't going away.
Quote:
Have you ever asked yourself why you choose to live in a place that assesses a property tax?
I chose to buy a home; I knew what the mortgage was, the taxes, and had a good understanding of average utilities and maintenance costs.

When I was born I did not choose to be born into a country where my share of it's national debt would be 1.1 million dollars.

Your share of the national debt is now $1.1 million | Rare

Choice being the operative words here.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I thought conservatives hated income taxes though. I mean, I thought the logic was you can't control your income from going up (and paying more tax), but you can always buy a cheaper house.
I'd rather see it as sales tax myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies