Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah. if anybody don't agree with you, then it must be lie. Nothing new here.
Quote:
We have "hire vets" campaigns because many of them (NOT ALL but many) have problems make the smooth transition back to the civilian world. Many of these people have troubles finding employments.

Quite frankly, Hire vets campaigns is nothing but a campaign. It is UP to civilian employers to hire them or not. Choice is theirs.
Its more than a campaign, the government is monetarily incentivizing the hiring of vets over non- vets.
How to Get Tax Credits for Hiring Veterans | Military.com

What if they gave tax breaks for hiring white males over black females?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its more than a campaign, the government in monetarily incentivizing the hiring of vets over non- vets.
How to Get Tax Credits for Hiring Veterans | Military.com

What if they gave tax breaks for hiring white males over black females?
But why does it have anything to do with "worship?"

Private companies get a tax break, they look out for themselves and for themselves ONLY. If they don't receive any benefits (for lack of a better word), do you really think they would even consider hiring a vet? can you at least admit that? It has nothing to do with patriotism or worship.

Plus, the veterans still have to be qualified for the job, no private companies are willing to hire a moron just to get a tax break. It is suicide.

When I was about to graduate, many private companies chose my classmates over me because they were simply better than me. But they still prefer me over somebody from another college. It is what it is.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
He died for our Article 15s. (Inside joke)

And before anyone flips out on me, I *am* a veteran.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
You have to love the military. They're still the most uncorrupted arm of the US government and together with the American citizenry are the only thing keeping the country from completely vanishing.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
The pro military crowd is really the pro big government crowd. Those who serve today, aren't serving their country. Rather, they're serving our government, which entails executing the nefarious orders by our government. I don't hate those who serve our government, but having college basketball games played on aircraft carriers is way over the top.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
The pro military crowd is really the pro big government crowd. .
Not me. Personally, I cannot stand big government and I think the very idea of "bringing back draft" is sickening to say the least. I prefer smaller government, more freedom to the citizen.

However I cannot stand anti military crowd either. Many of them are just plain mean spirited. I have many combat Marine friends, these are somebody's fathers sons, husbands, siblings. They struggle the most, they suffer the most. Don't use them as scapegoat, that is all one can hope for.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Not me. Personally, I cannot stand big government and I think the very idea of "bringing back draft" is sickening to say the least. I prefer smaller government, more freedom to the citizen.

However I cannot stand anti military crowd either. Many of them are just plain mean spirited. I have many combat Marine friends, these are somebody's fathers sons, husbands, siblings. They struggle the most, they suffer the most. Don't use them as scapegoat, that is all one can hope for.
1. How is a big, powerful military occupying MANY countries around the world by order of it's government not big government?

2. The pro military crowd works for the government yet many of them hate big government. That doesn't make much sense.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
1. How is a big, powerful military occupying MANY countries around the world by order of it's government not big government?

2. The pro military crowd works for the government yet many of them hate big government. That doesn't make much sense.
I don't know. Ask them instead. To me, pro military simply means, I support troops. Maybe I should make myself very clear.

I care about those who got shipped overseas. That is all, no more no less. I am very anti war because I care about my friends.

Government is really a vogue term. To me at least.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 PM

63 posts, read 57,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
How many of you find it excessive? I think it's absurd how the word "hero" has lost all real meaning lately. It's all over the media. "Support your troops!" "Hire vets!" As if the rest of us non-military people don't deserve to be hired. They're not "defending our freedoms". The reality is, the Military does nothing to protect the freedom of anyone. All it does is extends the power of the state. I respect soldiers for their bravery, but I am under no illusion that they're doing anything noble. They're doing a job, and an immoral one too, when you really think about it. Respect the individual, don't respect the whole. I got a couple of funny looks when I didn't stand and cheer for military representatives at a baseball game. I would have applauded had I known what the individuals had actually done. I'm all fine for thanking an individual personally, but I won't clap just because I'm told.
I think doctors, nurses, firefighters, and police should get the same type of respect the military does. They save lives and help people, but they don't get preference over anyone else for it.

It's very fascistic that people with similar views of the USA military machine get labeled "unpatriotic" and "American hating". I think a true patriot does question what we are told. A true patriot doesn't want any wars because no wars means our military men and women are not being killed for greedy reasons and it also means that hundreds of civilians in other countries are not being killed.

Am I misinformed? Am I ignorant? Or has military worship in this country gone completely off the rails?
Yes, you are misinformed. The government gives orders to the military and the military just carries them out. Oh yea, the bankers give orders to the government, that about covers it.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
So you know nobody worships you.
While I rather doubt that anybody "worships" me, I really don't know and don't really care.
If somebody does, it is THEIR problem, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies