Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM

702 posts, read 726,308 times

Advertisements

You claim "Texans" are "on the fringe of the right" when it just isn't true. Alabama, North Dakota, Wyoming Most Conservative States again. I didn't list all the top 10 states, sorry. I thought you'd read my gallup poll. Unless you classify fringe as the more conservative 25 states out of 50 in which case, Ok.

No one is arguing Texans are more vocal. No one is arguing that people care more what Texans do or have to say. No one is arguing that many of the Texan politicians are in the news a lot due to their politics. You're tilting at windmills here. I'm saying Texan citizens. Texans... aren't on "the fringe of the right".

Unless you meant Texan politicians instead of "Texans" in your own post you quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,697,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
No one is arguing Texans are more vocal.
What the heck do you think "proud to be standard bearers" means? Do you even recognize the difference between holding a perspective and being the vanguard of it?

Get a grip.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,450,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What the heck do you think "proud to be standard bearers" means? Do you even recognize the difference between holding a perspective and being the vanguard of it?

Get a grip.
Texans have strong opinions regardless of what side they're on and are, in some ways, very loud and outspoken - we are not afraid to make what we believe known whatever that may be (not just conservative beliefs; need I remind you what our current Democratic gubernatorial candidate did?).

OTOH, Texans are very accepting in many ways and very much "live and let live" types, not caring about others' personal business. It's hard to describe being a Texan because it's such a unique mindset - and it transcends political and other personal beliefs.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:56 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,450,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
afoigrokerkok, while claiming real numbers and statistics I posted earlier are made up notwithstanding, has a point. Texas is not the far-right nuthouse you believe it to be. Some very vocal politicians are, but even Slick Rick Perry pushed the HPV vaccine stuff and was crucified by his party for advocating for immigrants during the primary debates. When it comes down to the average Texan you'll find they skew a lot further towards civil rights and personal liberty than the headlines would lead you to believe.
Most of what you stated was opinion that I disagreed with. However, there are some things you got wrong like confusing the way cities and metropolitan areas have voted. As far as Clinton being "more popular" than recent Democrats, etc., your views on that are a bit naive IMO because you're neglecting to look at how the rest of the country voted each election, to consider the effect of Ross Perot in 92 and 96, to consider any home state advantage Bush may have had, etc.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,406,858 times
majority or texans or anybody in general dont get up in the morning worrying about gay marriage

it's NOT a pressing matter outside the gay community

Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,150,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
More slowly than the average state, although not as slowly as some.
How fast is the "average state" moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies