Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is NOTHING stopping one from refusing medicare and buying their own insurance policy..

I'll repeat it again

There is NOTHING stopping one from refusing medicare and buying their own insurance policy..

Do you understand now?
Show us the plan, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,812,791 times
Quote:

I'll repeat it again

Do you understand now?
I understand perfectly well. You don't.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times
Quote:
Its based upon INCOME.. Not age..

What excludes people 65 years of age or older? Are we practicing age discrimination now?
Medicare eligibility is age based and serves as the primary insurer. If a senior's income and assets ( lack thereof) qualifies for Medicaid, it may help pay for what Medicare does not.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,064,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This thread is about people age 65 and older. Please tell us who is writing individual ( not supplimental/ medigap) healthcare insurance plans for those who opt out of Medicare?
Measuring coverage for seniors in ... [J Health Polit Policy Law. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

We found that in 2005, 1.6 million seniors--or 5 percent of the elderly U.S. population--were without a full federal Part A premium subsidy

Albeit the date is a little old, but who exactly do you think wrote these peoples insurance policies?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I understand perfectly well. You don't.
Then why do millions go without medicare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Medicare eligibility is age based and serves as the primary insurer. If a senior's income and assets ( lack thereof) qualifies for Medicaid, it may help pay for what Medicare does not.
Yeah, I know.. you arent posting any newsworthy revelations here... And as previously pointed out, one can OPT OUT of medicare.

Nothing forces an individual to take it..

Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,176 times
Quote:
Measuring coverage for seniors in ... [J Health Polit Policy Law. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

We found that in 2005, 1.6 million seniors--or 5 percent of the elderly U.S. population--were without a full federal Part A premium subsidy

Albeit the date is a little old, but who exactly do you think wrote these peoples insurance policies?
The study didn't say the seniors had insurance.

Quote:
To estimate the number of seniors without full federal Medicare Part A coverage, we examined data for uninsured seniors, seniors with Medicaid and no Medicare coverage of any kind, seniors with Medicare Part B but without Part A, and seniors bought into Part A by their state Medicaid programs. We found that in 2005, 1.6 million seniors--or 5 percent of the elderly U.S. population--were without a full federal Part A premium subsidy.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,812,791 times
Quote:

You can opt to have only original Medicare without any form of supplemental insurance. The problem with that is a huge deductible and even worse no cap on the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM

39,150 posts, read 27,554,153 times
Here is a pretty interesting read,

"Suppose you are a senior who chooses a private health insurance plan or natural methods of treating illness. You should be able to forgo Medicare and pay for your own treatment, shouldn’t you? Not unless you’re prepared to give up your Social Security benefits as well, the federal government says."

Medicare Lawsuit: Seniors Fight to Pay for Own Healthcare Without Forfeiting SSA Benefits

Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The study didn't say the seniors had insurance.
Seniors with good paying jobs would indeed have insurance. To pretend that everyone isnt going gaga over collecting from the government is just ridiculous.

How about people who live overseas? Do you think someone in Mexico is taking full advantage of Medicare?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 PM

39,150 posts, read 27,554,153 times
Quote:
Then why do millions go without medicare?

I am wondering what is the benefit /advantage of forgoing medicare?

I think it is a pretty good health care for seniors. In my dad's case, medicare covers 80% of the procedure, hospital stay, etc. Obviously, he can afford additional $300 monthly supplemental plan. He's well covered and the hospital is really a very good hospital (HOAG hospital in Irvine)

I don't see why anybody want to forgo medicare? My dad is still working for his own company, and his income is very good. But I don't see the point of forgoing medicare even for senior citizens like him. A supplemental health plan is all he really needs really, and he has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies