Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Would Harrier sign up for a Buddhist or Islamic class as an elective.
Yes.

As a college student currently majoring in history, Harrier has the ability to choose his content(non-methodology) courses from a wide variety of subject matter.

He is choosing to complete 12 units in the Islamic history area, and one course that he has completed concerned the institution of Islam.

Harrier owns and reads a Qur'an.

Harrier is interested in Southeast Asian history.

Learning about Buddhism and Islam is invaluable for understanding those cultures.

Any more questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So, schools should not talk about the Ottoman Empire or the Holocaust?

This is a history course.

As much as you may want to you simply cannot teach history without mentioning religion.

Try presenting much of Western Civilization and never once referencing the Church or the Bible.

Do you want children to be ignorant about why things occur?

As the books of the three monotheistic religions that have greatly influenced the last 3000 or so years of human history, such electives for both the Bible and Quran should be offered to provide valuable indepth context.
If this proposed elective class is a factual course on Biblical history or even touching on the Bible as literature and poetry, then there can be no argument it's legal and constitutional.

However, I suspect that it might be stealth strategy to use the class to promote and proselytize Christianity ... something that would be not only illegal but un-American.

Does anyone remember what recently happened in Louisiana? How a public high school promoted Christianity and it's sole Buddhist student was humiliated and ridiculed?

Is this what Christians want?

Why can't courses on Biblical history be taught in churches?

I remember when I was growing up in Broward County, Florida, the Jewish kids went to Hebrew School after their regular public school classes. Hebrew School was taught in synagogues ... not in the public schools.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 AM

57,287 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes.

As a college student currently majoring in history, Harrier has the ability to choose his content(non-methodology) courses from a wide variety of subject matter.

He is choosing to complete 12 units in the Islamic history area, and one course that he has completed concerned the institution of Islam.

Harrier owns and reads a Qur'an.

Harrier is interested in Southeast Asian history.

Learning about Buddhism and Islam is invaluable for understanding those cultures.

Any more questions?
Kudos to Harrier and college is where this belongs, but I have to wonder what the reaction would be if they offered a course in Quran history at Mustang High School.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One, the big deal is whether the course is a STUDY of a religion, or if the course is a PROMOTION of a religion. Mr Green, who is funding it, PROMOTES religion. So that's one concern.

Two, public schools are peer pressure cookers. While the function of schools is to educate students, students develop more than their minds in school. They develop their social identities and personalities there as well. If this course develops an exclusive character, like cheerleading and athletic organizations sometimes do, it can end up promoting a theology rather than promoting an objective study of that theology. So the school is obligated to monitor that aspect of its course offerings.
And three, the government is providing some of the funds that are used to provide the classroom, desks, supplies and a teacher.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Have some of you naysayers been in a public high school lately, looked at the public HS curriculum, or seen a syllabus for some high school social studies courses? The Bible as a work and comparative religion are covered now! They were covered when I was in high school in the 60s. There's nothing new under the sun.

And cheerleading as theological? I have to say, that's a new one on me. The biggest cheerleader issue at my kids' high school was cheerleaders doing cocaine in the restrooms.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have some of you naysayers been in a public high school lately, looked at the public HS curriculum, or seen a syllabus for some high school social studies courses? The Bible as a work and comparative religion are covered now! They were covered when I was in high school in the 60s. There's nothing new under the sun.

And cheerleading as theological? I have to say, that's a new one on me. The biggest cheerleader issue at my kids' high school was cheerleaders doing cocaine in the restrooms.
I think you misread my post.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you misread my post.
OK, I re-read it and I see what you mean (I think), but in a thread about religion in schools it was confusing.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Not sure what the problem is, as long as the class explores the history of the Bible from a cultural and historical context and isn't a theology class. Learning about religion is not the same thing as learning religious dogma. The real world is full of people of different religious beliefs; shielding our kids from that only perpetuates ignorance. There's no reason religion cannot be taught in public schools from a social, cultural perspective.

I think that classes exploring the cultural context of all religions should be at least electives in high school, so students can learn what various religious groups believe, learn about their customs, etc. There is so much conflict between different religions and the non-religious; a greater understanding between each of them is a good thing and can reduce misconceptions about people of various faiths.

I was completely ignorant about Mormonism until some Mormons knocked on my door and I invited them in to discuss their faith with me. I wanted to know more about their religion so I wasn't basing my opinion of Mormons off the largely negative stereotypes reinforced by TV and movies. That's all I knew about Mormonism.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Not sure what the problem is, as long as the class explores the history of the Bible from a cultural and historical context and isn't a theology class.
If the class is a historical and academic study then there is no problem. The problem comes from the fact that the curriculum is being developed by a group that has a theological agenda, and statements by the founder indicate the goal it to teach theology as fact. I am all for history of religion classes, but generally those are objected to by believers, because they treat the source material like any other book, instead divine revelation...

-NoCapo

Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The UK has publicly-funded schools run by various religions.

Faith school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there were reasons we broke away from England(UK), eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies