Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 AM

34,258 posts, read 19,240,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yeah well I'm not beyong going over the line to prove a point

You want everyone else to pay, you moan and groan about people making more than others, but you dont hesitate to drop your position then to defend him earning more.

If you want gdp to grow then people need to earn more than others.. Its not $10 an hour burger flippers building factories..

But I guess you dont comprehend that..

So if the 1%ers are ok, but the .1% are evil rich skuzbuckets, what are the .5%ers? Where does one cross the line from being wonderful individuals to mean rich bastards?
No that wasnt to prove a point, it was to cause someone emotional pain. Well done.

Now on to the rest...

Our GDP has doubled in the last 40 year..has the incomes? Nope...well..for the .1% it has....

How about the 40 years before that? Turns out...yes..incomes did. Hmmmm

I have no objection to people earning more then others, I do have objections when I see that the ownership and incomes are diverging so much. You probably should too.

You know what? no. Im done talking to you....back to ignoring your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,505,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. go read the example linked by the other poster where he says im complaining about someone making $100 more, it explains the problem.
I'm not interested in links full of frothy emotional appeal.

If I make 22 million this year and you make $40,000 what is the problem? We don't have equal jobs so there is no inequality in our incomes. It doesn't exist.

How did I harm you by making more money?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It's NOT a waste..........the Dumdumocrats are recycling the 1% meme because IT WORKED, and will work again and again and again.
Yeah it worked, but its a horrible meme. It misses the issue completely and clumps a lot of hard working folks in with people not working at all, and misses the real underlying issue of capital growth out stripping GDP growth, and the issues that causes.

Its almost like saying "we can treat these diseases by cutting off the infected body parts if they become infected after surgery"....while completely missing that you should wash your hands before surgery.

IE we're looking at symptoms, not the causes.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I'm not interested in links full of frothy emotional appeal.

If I make 22 million this year and you make $40,000 what is the problem? We don't have equal jobs so there is no inequality in our incomes. It doesn't exist.

How did I harm you by making more money?
Go read the link, and that answers your question. nothing emotional in it. Warning-there may be math.

But let me be clear...its not so much how much you earn, as what you do with it. Really, the link explains. its a simplistic example, but there are far more complex examples and data available to you.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,876,867 times
Quote:
Our GDP has doubled in the last 40 year..has the incomes? Nope...well..for the .1% it has....

How about the 40 years before that? Turns out...yes..incomes did. Hmmmm

I have no objection to people earning more then others, I do have objections when I see that the ownership and incomes are diverging so much. You probably should too.

You know what? no. Im done talking to you....back to ignoring your posts.
you were just babbling on and on about being in the top 5% of the nation. If income inequality is so bad then why do you continue to make so much more than 95% of the nation and make them poorer?

Thats YOUR argument...

I have no problem at all with Warren Buffet being worth what he's worth, or Bill Gates for example. They employ hundreds of thousands of individuals.

How many do you have working for you?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,505,728 times
Quote:
Go read the link, and that answers your question. nothing emotional in it. Warning-there may be math.

But let me be clear...its not so much how much you earn, as what you do with it. Really, the link explains. its a simplistic example, but there are far more complex examples and data available to you.
So the ultra wealthy don't spend their money right? I've heard this nonsense too. How did they get so wealthy if the can't manage money? lol

Greed and envy cloud your thinking. And how big is your ego to tell people what they should do with their money. Lefties are a bunch of arrogant asses.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,315,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Amazing

How is this setting an example? I understand the initiative, but at least practice what you preach.

Income Inequality Institute Will Pay Paul Krugman $25,000 Per Month
I'm sure no one in the group will see the irony of paying a second rate blogger $25k per month...and not seeing that as income inequality. Why don't they pay their janitor that much if they actually believe their own crap.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
So the ultra wealthy don't spend their money right? I've heard this nonsense too. How did they get so wealthy if the can't manage money? lol

Greed and envy cloud your thinking. And how big is your ego to tell people what they should do with their money. Lefties are a bunch of arrogant asses.

Sigh. no thats not it at all. Its simple math. We cannot afford to have a small minority earn money on capital faster then the rise of GDP. We either need to slow their earnings, or increase the rate of GDP faster.

If not the capital they control will consume a ever larger and larger % of the economy.

Soo...you're ok with 400 guys say..owning...say 90% of everything in the US?

Now personally, Id FAR prefer to have the rate of GDP go up faster then the rate of growth on capital. I just dont see that being realistic given how the two numbers are entertwined.

Greed and envy do not cloud my thinking, saying that ignore the basic math that is occuring. Personally if I didnt see a horrible endgame for all of this, with inherited wealth determining winners and losers, and not merit I wouldnt give a damn about their money.

Righties are so ignorant of basic economics and math. (like that? If lefties are arrogant asses, then righties are apparently unable to understand economics, and basic math.....but lets be honest, we both know neither statement is true. So please layoff the personal attacks, and try to understand the math in the linked post earlier. im not throwing out theories that capital grows faster then GDP, im throwing out FACTS. Feel free to research it.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,911,701 times
Quote:
No that wasnt to prove a point, it was to cause someone emotional pain. Well done.

Now on to the rest...

I've argued over and over about the reasons for this and what needs done about it but you come up with excuse after excuse after excuse for this administration not doing any of it but rather the opposite.

You do not care about income disparity. The only thing you care about is party loyalties.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm sure no one in the group will see the irony of paying a second rate blogger $25k per month...and not seeing that as income inequality. Why don't they pay their janitor that much if they actually believe their own crap.
I see the percieved irony, that being said...the people against income inequality arent against reasonable levels of it despite your assumption. Most of us just feel that extreme levels of it represent a risk to our country both economically:
No, inequality doesn't help the economy grow - Vox

and a serious threat to any democracy:
The new study about oligarchy that's blowing up the Internet, explained - Vox

And I could probably find just as many on the right who agree. That fear our government is the best that money can buy. And some that realize that the growing inequality is a problem.....the real argument they feel is how we find solutions. And on that we agree, solving it is HARD. its not a simple "increase taxes". While I feel that would be a good thing, I do recognize its not optimal for a variety of reasons. But sometimes its the best choice. Id like to hear other ideas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies