Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Someone should be held accountable for that scenario for sure. Horses are a valuable animal so I would think that alone should motivate the operators to protect them from that.

You're right, maybe a few more rules like not operating in bad heat and humidity makes sense.
It is just annoying seeing a horse pull fat tourists down the streets of Manhattan. But in all honesty I think there just needs to be tighter rules for operating horse drawn carriages.

As for the whole wanting to get the developable land out of this, I would have believed that more with Bloomberg and how pro development he was. But then again, this is Manhattan and every bit of land is valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
As others have mentioned, this is not about the horses, it's about the high-value land the stables are on. This scandal has been in the works reaching back to 2006, and many of those who worked to put Deblasio's in the mayor's office are real-estate developers with their eyes on that land.

It's not about the horses; it's about letting developers grab that valuable land.
Save NYC Horse Carriages - Stop de Blasio's Ban!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is just annoying seeing a horse pull fat tourists down the streets of Manhattan. But in all honesty I think there just needs to be tighter rules for operating horse drawn carriages.

As for the whole wanting to get the developable land out of this, I would have believed that more with Bloomberg and how pro development he was. But then again, this is Manhattan and every bit of land is valuable.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ors-manual.pdf

They go though training and have rules.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ors-manual.pdf

They go though training and have rules.
I am not saying they don't, I am saying the rules should be more strick.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I am not saying they don't, I am saying the rules should be more strick.
What are the rules as they stand now...and what would you change????

Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I would want to see them only working within the park and not the streets of the city. I would also not want them working on the hottest days in the summer where conditions can be deadly for work animals.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This might be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Horses love what they do, they live for it. Just try leaving one of them in the stall someday when the carriage goes out and see what happens.

A horse that pulls a carriage, is well cared for is the happiest horse in the world. What does this idiot want to do, free them on the western plains? Then they could die of disease and starvation.
Do they? Did a horse choose to be put on this earth for our amusement?

This sounds a lot like Orcas and Sea World. Heck, I don't own any pets for that reason alone. That is just my two cents. Animals are animals and should be left alone.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
the more important question to me is how often do regulators check on the welfare of the animal and how are the rules enforced? the first few pages of your link describe basic horse care and education. if one doesn't know this information one should not be operating this type of business. the regulations do need to be updated with more enforcement.

there is a lack of enforcement as the ASPCA has around 20 officers to check on over 200 horses and more drivers. the ASPCA mostly investigate cruelty and does not have the man power to oversee carriage horses as they should.

this site makes for interesting reading on the subject
BanHorse Drawn Carriages Coalition For New York City Animals

Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I would want to see them only working within the park and not the streets of the city. I would also not want them working on the hottest days in the summer where conditions can be deadly for work animals.
What are the rules???

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
What are the rules???
https://www.google.com/search?q=nyc+...spv=1&ie=UTF-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies