Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
At the University of Michigan, you get 4 points on your Admission score if you are a legacy. Being a preferred minority nets you 20 points. Yep, sack them both. And if this kind of preference really should not be there, when are we talking about all the "special admits" that many colleges use to get *ahem* student athletes into their schools? Shouldn't that preference be dropped too?

also veterans preferences should be dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
im mixed on this, as i do consider legacy admissions to be a form of affirmative action for whites, specifically white males who should not be on the campus to begin with, and only got in because of dad going there and donating money. i understand that
White males don't go to college much anymore.

They are behind:
1. Asian Women
2. White Women
3. Hispanic Women
4. African American Women
5. Asian Men

Tied with:
1. Hispanic Men

And ahead of:
1. African American Men

Edit: On the other hand, this is for high school completers, and dropout rates may effect that order to some degree.

Still, women are far more represented than men at most universities.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
At the University of Michigan, you get 4 points on your Admission score if you are a legacy. Being a preferred minority nets you 20 points. Yep, sack them both. And if this kind of preference really should not be there, when are we talking about all the "special admits" that many colleges use to get *ahem* student athletes into their schools? Shouldn't that preference be dropped too?
Diversity takes many forms. Applying to a State Unversity as an out of state student? A plus factor for you over state residents. Diversity.

An Adult student over 40? Again, a plus factor over a traditional HS graduate. Transfer student from another university? Again, diversity.

I have seen this personally with both myself and my daughter. I KNEW this long before I ever experienced it. Many years ago I used to work at a major university. They all have their percentages to achieve "Diversity". It is not just applicable to Race.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
The two mental midgets of the court, Sotomayer and Ginsberg, dissented. How unsurprising. The third fool, Elena Kagan, had recused herself.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
im mixed on this, as i do consider legacy admissions to be a form of affirmative action for whites, specifically white males who should not be on the campus to begin with, and only got in because of dad going there and donating money. i understand that
More females attend college nowadays than males.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
White males don't go to college much anymore.

They are behind:
1. Asian Women
2. White Women
3. Hispanic Women
4. African American Women
5. Asian Men

Tied with:
1. Hispanic Men

And ahead of:
1. African American Men

Edit: On the other hand, this is for high school completers, and dropout rates may effect that order to some degree.

Still, women are far more represented than men at most universities.

i agree. white males are a benefactor of AA in admission now as they become a rarity on campus.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
i agree. white males are a benefactor of AA in admission now as they become a rarity on campus.
Actually they are still penalized by AA in most cases.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Quote:
Sotomayor said, summarizing a dissenting opinion joined only by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to speak openly and candidly on the subject of race, and to apply the Constitution with eyes open to the unfortunate effects of centuries of racial discrimination.
Wrong. The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating based on race.
WTH is wrong with that lady?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Sotomayor is incensed and rightly so. AA was about to give an unneeded advantage to people like her, the millions of illegals and their children that have invaded the US. I can understand AA to help blacks catch up in years gone by, but foreign hispanics were all but handed the keys to the kingdom in the recent past. They do not deserve or need affirmative actions.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM

271 posts, read 341,544 times
The people who are going to suffer from this the most are white women because that's who was benefitting from Affirmative Action the most. Now that whites are bringing the Jim Crow styled policies back, it now time for Black Americans to start going for reparations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies