Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Like most things here in the real universe, the answer to the thread question is:

It depends.
Thank you

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
First off, those "silly videos" in which you call them make great points. Points that obviously you don't know who to rebuttal.

The simple reality is, is that you cannot pigeon hole or generalize all people with PTSD. There are as many versions with it as there are people. I've known many people with PTSD who are not violent in the least. In fact, they are usually the least violent people I know. It's like any mental illness. They effect everyone differently.

Case in point. They used to believe that people who suffered from Schizophrenia were dangerous. Now, they know that they are not. If Obama does this, this will be very bad for many reasons.

1-He's giving the government too much control/ power, which will and can be used the wrong way.
2-What's next, people with depression can't own guns. Once again, not all depression is the same. Some have seasonal disorders, some have severe depression. But to generalize or lump them all in the same "whoa don't go there category" is just plain idiotic.
3-If we are not smart about this, then we will allow the government to dictate everything. First it would be PTSD, then it would be anxiety, then depression, etc. It would be a slippery slope that would never end.

Bottom line is I disagree with everything that you have said. My father has PTSD and is a hunter. Yet, oddly enough, he's the type that probably wouldn't even shoot at a cute little deer. We (us in the family) laugh because although he has six guns, he rarely ever goes hunting and he never gets anything. We don't think it's in him to be a hunter. He was in Vietnam and suffers from a multitude of mental illnesses. However, he is not a loose canon as how Obama would have you believe. Bottom line, I think that you could take Lily's advice and not laugh at those video's, but be smart enough to be teachable. Nobody knows everything.
You are wrong, superman, EVERYBODY knows everything, especially on city data. LOL

I am here to learn, to discuss things with people, I am not here to argue with know-it-alls lol

Thank you for sharing your dad's story. Actually, I know an older gentleman exactly like your father. I always wonder, "Gee, dude, what is the point of owning all these guns when you cannot even kill a cute little deer? "

I hope your dad is doing good.

and I agree with everything you posted. Cheers!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM

"Only a small fraction of people with mental illness meet the federal standards for inclusion in the gun database. Those standards include a court ruling of insanity. Most, however, enter the database after they have been involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. Further, most people who are involuntarily hospitalized — typically under a 72-hour hold for observation — aren't included in the database, because they cases never received a formal mental health evaluation by a judge."

"Most mentally ill people — including Aaron Alexis, the Navy Yard shooter who apparently showed signs of psychosis — never get treatment or aren't recognized as being in crisis."

"Mental health experts also say the focus on old commitment records is a flawed way of figuring out who shouldn't have a gun — in large part because most people with mental illness aren't violent, or are at risk mostly of hurting themselves."

Keeping guns away from people with mental illness is a complex issue - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Laws/restrictions should only affect peoples ACTIONS.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Yes -- everyone has the exact same symptoms. It's not an a la carte menu where you pick and choose which symptoms you want to have.

If you do not display every single symptom, then you cannot legally be diagnosed with PTSD.

Mircea
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Have I posted "If you don't display every single symptom, then you cannot legally be diagnosed with PTSD?" No, I have not.

I was diagnosed with PTSD five years ago. Some of the symptoms of PTSD include but not limited to

a. Suddenly become angry or irritable.
b. Have a hard time sleeping.
c. Have trouble concentrating.
d. Fear for your safety and always feel on guard.
e. Be very startled when someone surprises you.

I have experienced B, C, and E, but I have never experienced A and D.

So, no, not all PTSD sufferers have the exact same symptoms. Certainly not all PTSD sufferers are violent or suicidal.
You were so wrong about "everyone has the exact same symptoms." This statement is very ignorant. I am no doctor or psychologist, but it doesn't take a professional to figure out mental illness affects each individual differently.

Just a suggestion. I have never been disrespectful towards you. I hope you do the same. Thank you. I would like to believe that everybody is here to learn something, or to discuss things in civilized manner.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Laws/restrictions should only affect peoples ACTIONS.
Yeah, I certainly agree. So it really depends.

Some combat veterans with PTSD should give up on their right to bear arms, if and ONLY if they are dangerous to themselves and others. It all depends on the situation and individual.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
I have to defer to Mircea on this. Personally I have been working with veterans since the late 1990s. In several different capacities, the latest being in an emergency room setting with a mental health unit. See military veterans come in/brought in all of the time. I enjoy speaking with them. The most recent one was Vietnam Veteran that was in Hue around the time of the lunar new year of 1968 (TET). I am still learning about PTSD. My wife is a sexual trauma victim from the military (we are both former military) from a violent sexual assault that occurred back in the early 1980s. She went along until fine for about 20 years until her "trigger" came and then she went off the deep end. She is okay now, except she jumps when startled which she never used to do and she avoids watching/experiencing things that have the potential to re-trigger her episode. One of my current co-workers is a Somolia & Afghanistan vet that suffers from PTSD.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Anyone who is not in control of themselves should not have access to firearms.

That being said, we need to be very careful about making the diagnosis that someone is no longer in control of their emotions and actions.

I do believe that many Vets suffer from PTSD and that we should take that into consideration before giving them jobs like law enforcement where they are likely to over react due to misperception of danger.
I believe that is the reason we have so many police involved shootings and physical abuse.
Well said ! Being a vet does not give you special privileges. But it really bothers me that our government doesn't seem to care about vets with this problem. We can find Billlions to send to countries that wouldn't give us the time of day, but can't find money to treat our vets.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I have to defer to Mircea on this. Personally I have been working with veterans since the late 1990s. In several different capacities, the latest being in an emergency room setting with a mental health unit. See military veterans come in/brought in all of the time. I enjoy speaking with them. The most recent one was Vietnam Veteran that was in Hue around the time of the lunar new year of 1968 (TET). I am still learning about PTSD. My wife is a sexual trauma victim from the military (we are both former military) from a violent sexual assault that occurred back in the early 1980s. She went along until fine for about 20 years until her "trigger" came and then she went off the deep end. She is okay now, except she jumps when startled which she never used to do and she avoids watching/experiencing things that have the potential to re-trigger her episode. One of my current co-workers is a Somolia & Afghanistan vet that suffers from PTSD.
I hope your wife is doing okay.

I didn't need any prescription drugs or therapy to "treat" (for lack of a better word) my PTSD symptoms. It has been five years since my late boyfriend killed himself in front of me.

I don't have any "triggers" anymore. The firsts year, I couldn't sleep with lights off, I couldn't concentrate. That is about it. If I saw a violent movie, I would have to go to the public restroom and cry. But that is about it. I was never suicidal and I never wanted to hurt anybody or was afraid anybody might hurt me.

I have couple friends suffer from PTSD are combat Marines. NONE of them really own a gun (They don't want to) NONE of them are violent or suicidal. The "crazy vet" theory is make belief for the most part.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Well said ! Being a vet does not give you special privileges. But it really bothers me that our government doesn't seem to care about vets with this problem. We can find Billlions to send to countries that wouldn't give us the time of day, but can't find money to treat our vets.
Right, I completely agree with you. It doesn't matter if one is a combat vet, or a vet, if he/she is dangerous to him/herself or others, owning gun is asking for trouble in my opinion.

PTSD is still very much misunderstood. My combat Marine friends have tried a new treatment called EMDR and received good result. But there is no real cure for this condition. Doesn't mean that all of them are dangerous to the society at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies