Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 12:48 AM

778 posts, read 823,608 times

Advertisements

Firsthand experience here: you can sometimes overcome a case of the uglies AND living with your parents if you develop a decent personality.

Got a four year anniversary coming up in a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 12:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
This is one of the few countries where young people are expected to move out once they become adults.

In countries like Italy, it's normal to live at home until marriage.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:49 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Seriously, would you date a guy in his mid-20s still living with his parents? Would you marry one?
Sure I would, depending on the circumstances. If a guy knows that the $800 he would pay to rent a room with roommates would help keep his parents out of foreclosure, then I wouldn't mind dating him if he lives at home (and I know quite a few people in their 20s whose Boomer aged parents lost their jobs in the recession and are making a fraction of their old salary who are in that very boat right now).

If a guy's parents are allowing him to live at home with reduced or no rent and he is saving money for a downpayment or rapidly paying off student loans so that he is not bringing debt to a relationship/marriage, then sure. Starter homes in my area start at $300,000 and it is difficult for a single, young adult on early-career wages to save for a down payment - reducing rent expenses is the best way to do it.

Or if he's trying to get a master's degree on the cheap, is recovering from serious illness, or trying to get out of past debt and save. There are dozens of scenarios where living at home makes sense for the family.

Most people in the Boston area live with roommates until they move in with a significant other or spouse. What's so different about living at home? I mean, how dare a family do something that is mutually advantageous to them all?

Again, not talking about people who are chronically unemployed or underemployed or people who don't value working hard and saving.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
In many cultures t least one child stayed at home to take care of the ageing parents and younger siblings. America is one of the few cultures where families were split up to fill the needs of suburban real estate speculators.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Even returning home AFTER college?! I read marriage is a factor, but, you don't have to be married to move out of your parents house! Not all parents even LET their kids stay at home, some get kicked out when they turn 18. What's with all this staying with mommy and daddy even though I'm an adult crap?! I can understand if its financial, but still by age 21 you should DEFINITELY at least be working on moving out. Life is better on your own so your parents aren't in your business and its more attractive to live on your own.

I may even rather get a little help from the government to live on my own then to stay at home. I mean things ARE expensive especially when you're younger cause you make less, so that's a valid reason for getting a little assistance, IF you REALLY need it. As in you literally can't afford it.

Staying at home is going to make it take longer to grow up. You don't have to wait to be married to move out. It could even be more attractive to already be independent. Also don't you want privacy? Yeah I know everyone wants privacy.
In many non-American cultures adult children continue to live at home until they get married even if they only get married at relatively late age. Although this is opposite of American culture, one can't say that is wrong just different. In the USA nowadays with the high employment and other economic issues, it makes financial sense for some adults to continue living with their parents a bit longer than in the past decades.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Colleges don't generally have "remedial" classes, they have CORE classes which students must take to fulfill GE (General Education) requirements. I had to take a basic math class to graduate, since my major wasn't math, despite the fact that I did well in those high school courses - and got a 610/800 on the math SATs. Furthermore, not everyone can be gifted in every subject. I suck the big one at anything science-related, but that doesn't mean I am unintelligent or uneducated in general, and there are plenty of other areas where I excel above most. Are YOU naturally skilled in every single subject?
Colleges DO in fact have remedial classes. Read the link I have provided and you will see that others also feel the way I do. It is astounding that so many are so ill prepared for college, but of course so many like to say that the educational system is working. What a laugh. If one isn't ready for college then they should attend a local community college and learn what they should have learned in their high schools. Another thing, a good proportion of kids in college should not even be there because they would be better off in a technical college of some kind. The idiots of this country have made people feel that they need college to just get a job. Of course it isn't true, but the banks and the federal government, along with the colleges make a bundle of money and the people of this country just follow along, like the sheep they are.

College Is No Place for Remedial Education - Bloomberg View

Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
The pay for jobs was less also, so you can try again. Another thing, the fact that any college needs to have a remedial class of anything means that there are too many there that should not be there.
The wages compared to the cost of living was also higher so you can try again.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,941 times
Regardless of whether your parents are great or not, regardless of how much you make: it is an invaluable experience to live on your own. There are many ways to get around expenses - you can have roommates, you can rent a room from someone's home.

Using money as a primary reason is a horrible excuse for those that are lazy, scared and just don't want to get out into the real world. The idea that times are tougher today than they have been in our history is laughable. But if you're looking for excuses to defend yourself (or your kids) there are about 50 of them for the taking.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In many cultures t least one child stayed at home to take care of the ageing parents and younger siblings. America is one of the few cultures where families were split up to fill the needs of suburban real estate speculators.
LOL... That's not the reason why families have been "split up" in America. It's because of our traditional values of rugged individualism, independence, and privacy, in addition to psychologists touting the "nuclear family" starting in about the 50s.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
The idiots of this country have made people feel that they need college to just get a job. Of course it isn't true, but the banks and the federal government, along with the colleges make a bundle of money and the people of this country just follow along, like the sheep they are.
Look at how unemployment rates and incomes vary by educational attainment...

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

BTW - as has already been mentioned earlier, young adults with college degrees are less likely to be living with their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies