Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
List any sources (radio, television, internet, books, individuals, etc.) that you get your politics news and education from. For me, it's the following:

MSNBC - Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell
NPR
Huffington Post
Thom Hartmann
Leslie Marshall
Robert Reich
Paul Krugman
The Young Turks
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Nick Hanauer
Michael Moore
you might want to see someone about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:45 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Yep, if you agree with it I'd check it twice as much. Verify, verify, verify. That goes for Chrissy, Rush, Larry, Sean, all of them. Use your head other than as a receptacle for another mans ideas.
I don't like Fox News and have tried to watch it on several occasions.

They use brainwashing tactics that are pretty blatant. They never really go for facts.

Step 1: Define a crisis
-This is the fear factor. People don't think rationally when exposed to fear

Step 2: Bring on the opposition
-They typically go after Democrats or liberals with less confidence who aren't very established

Step 3: Humiliate opposition
-They use deflection, bullying, projection, confusing arguments, and sometimes even shouting to intimidate their guests from the other side

Step 4: Declare themselves the winner
-There is a lot of self-proclamations on Fox News. They also blatantly associate themselves with "the people" constantly

If you can avoid falling for their little formula, you realize Fox News is a very powerful destructive propaganda machine.

My experience on MSNBC was similar, but less authoritarian and more sarcasm.

I avoid both like the plague.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Extremists.

Who can take Rush Limbaugh seriously?
Rush doesnt bill himself as a "news outlet"

Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Various sites on the internet and Democracy Now! mostly. Also rt.com, al jazeera and bbcnews.com.

I also check in to see what the corporate news is pushing-CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,192 times
If there's one thing about this thread it's far less about what news sources people have but their political leanings.

Those on the Left clearly like MSNBC, CNBC, and CNN, along with HuffPost and Mother Jones with Daily Kos showing up in there somewhere.

Those on the Right clearly watch Fox and Breitbart.

Those with rote responses and pre-programmed ideas don't watch anything but the Big Three - ABC, CBS, NBC.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I don't like Fox News and have tried to watch it on several occasions.

They use brainwashing tactics that are pretty blatant. They never really go for facts.
I wouldn't call it brainwashing, more like Propaganda. *whispers* both sides do it!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 AM

You know whats funny? I get a good bit of my news from C-D.... not exactly new persay but discussiona about things going on, that lead in turn to looking at those stories from a wide varity of sources from Fox to CNN to BBC to any number of outlets (internet wise)

i dont watch much TV news. I do listen to the radio for intertainment but Im smart enough to know the difference between someone opinion of events and what ought to be considered news.... most folk that listen to talk radio are like me in that respect.

What is sad to me is that there really are people here who think Young Turks and HuffPo and Media Matters are actually news. i mean seriously people what are you thinking???

Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
You know whats funny? I get a good bit of my news from C-D.... not exactly new persay but discussiona about things going on, that lead in turn to looking at those stories from a wide varity of sources from Fox to CNN to BBC to any number of outlets (internet wise)
Same here, except I'll go flip through my newscaster on Roku to hear what all the commotion is about...
and of course, I love to READ

Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
If there's one thing about this thread it's far less about what news sources people have but their political leanings.

Those on the Left clearly like MSNBC, CNBC, and CNN, along with HuffPost and Mother Jones with Daily Kos showing up in there somewhere.

Those on the Right clearly watch Fox and Breitbart.

Those with rote responses and pre-programmed ideas don't watch anything but the Big Three - ABC, CBS, NBC.
Most posters here call me far left. I singled out Mother Jones, and Fox news as horrible, and warning about MSNBC. Brietbart made my ignore list, Didnt think about the Daily KOS, but its probably somewhere between msnbc and Mother Jones.

So no, people arent as simple as you make out. You have however pretty accurately labeled the extremists on either side however. There will be exceptions.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM

126 posts, read 142,360 times
DRUDGE REPORT 2014®

WND - A Free Press for a Free People
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies