Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times

Advertisements

Well we have an interventionist policy in weak small nations. If any goods that come from a small Latin American nation or African nation become too high we send military to intervene. We have been an imperialist nation really since the Spanish American War. Just as the American people resent people in Washington having too much control over their lives, the populations of other nations resent us for going into their countries and taking their resources.

Watch the documentary Darwin's nightmare. Fish grown in Lake Victoria areso highly priced by european markets that given the currency exchange, the people there can only eat the waste products. How would you feel if you had food growing on a farm across the street, but you had to steal it at night in order to not starvebecause the prices are driven up by exports. Yes the free market causes this.

We have been known to assist dictators that will do what we want instead of look out for the interests of their own people, Batista in Cuba, Saddam in Iraq, the Iran Contra affair in Nicaragua, Pinochet in Chile. Our lack of action in Darfur because they do not have resources we want. Frequently our spreading of freedom includes backing dictators that trade cheap with us in order to give them military power.

Most Americans do not know or recall these items, but they stick with those populations, and the inspire resentment of the U.S. A large number of Americans know little of the politics in other nations other than the French are whiney, and the Mexicans come over here illegally. Listen to the BBC news some time on the radio and compare it to Fox News or CNN or even a daily newspaper. You'd be amazed at what you can learn just by opening up to another venue. I just listened to a report today on how cotton grown in third world countries is picked by people who have no protection for their lungs (masks etc) so they inhale all the filaments and die prematurely. The government does not do anything to require safety standards so people age quicker, have more lung problems and die a lot sooner. I suppose its their fault because they don't work hard enough or go to school at night or something. We get low cost clothes made in these countries, while they work in conditions that we got rid of 100 years ago.

Yes I do lean to the left politically. Please do not call me anti American or a defeatocrat (personally I think the Democrats are sellouts just like the Republicans), I love my country but I believe the only way we will get by in a global market is through peaceful means and I believe we need to do this better. I wish I didn't have to add this paragraph but I am getting called a liberal nutjob and partisan biased is used as an excuse. Yes we do do a lot of good things through peace corps and other organizations, but that is undermined by the rest of oour economic policy and we need to do better in order to not be a target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Where is the "evil" scale? Link??

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

129 posts, read 83,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Where is the "evil" scale? Link??

There ya go;

Evils Scale - Rating the world's good and evil

Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Cute. Here is a better one: home - Transparency International

Old 12-10-2007, 10:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
The only people who truly hate the US are the left-wing wackos. As this thread amply demonstrates. Everyone else wants to either emulate the US, or immigrate to the US and become US citizens.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Like most liberal hysteria, that paragraph was high on hyperbole, low on facts. First off, I'm going to wager you're against the US invasion of Afghanistan. Guess trying to destroy Al-Quida is not on your to do list. If Bush and Co wanted the oil, he could get it for free. After all, he hasn't invaded Saudi Arabia, has he? ****, America has more oil in waiting then the Middle East. All he would have to do is grease some Iraqi/Taliban hands and voila, the oil flows!

So now that we got that tricky "war for oil" question out of the way. Here's another brain twister: Most of those third world citizens that we **** on so much have higher approval ratings of the US than the US itself. Only Europe and the Middle east have their "different opinions". We give the most to charity per capita and American companies have employed millions around the world. Let's see what the rest of the world has done:

-Germany slaghters 12 million people in the Holocuast

-France renders Europe decimated via Napolianic wars.

-Britian colonizes almost a thrid of the globe

-USSR murders 20 million of it's own under Stalin's purges. Another 10 million dead in faminie

-China loses 60 million to faminie, another several million to the "Cultural Revolution".

-India implements chaste system

-African wars kill almost 20 million since WWII

-Latin American death squads kill thousands.

But no, America is evil.
america isn't innocent, we waged a war on ourselves at the cost of nearly a million lives because some of us wanted to own human beings. it wasn't until 50 years ago that black people could drink from the same fountain.

as far as employing millions of people the world over, that's because they work cheaper than americans do, benefiting them is lower on the list than making more money.

as far as colonizing goes, how do you think the united states got so big? ask an Indian, they can be found at any reservation in the country. if the founding of this country alone wasn't even slightly evil, nothing is.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i dont understand your posts. you cannt be describing the relationship with USA and Mexico and China. you need to narrow it down a bit, please. you talk about violence in the mid east, america does not have a monopoly on mideastern violence.
lots of stuff bout evil in america, america does not have a monopoly on evil either. i think not telling us where you are coming from is hurting what could be a very good post.
thanks.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i dont understand your posts. you cannt be describing the relationship with USA and Mexico and China. you need to narrow it down a bit, please. you talk about violence in the mid east, america does not have a monopoly on mideastern violence.
lots of stuff bout evil in america, america does not have a monopoly on evil either. i think not telling us where you are coming from is hurting what could be a very good post.
thanks.
Won't happen. These posters are the ones who truly hate the US, not the rest of the planet. In order to justify their abject hatred they MUST believe that everyone else hates the US as much as they do. To do anything less would be admitting that they can not justify their hatred. So they manufacture these fantasies in order to reinforce their delusions.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:50 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
1. The nazis exterminated 6 million.
2. Europe has recovered well since Napoleon and the two world wars.
3. Britain has departed its former colonies, including Hong Kong. Former colonies belong to the Commonwealth and furiously compete in cricket tournaments.
4. The USSR suffered the heaviest losses, about 50 million in WW 2.
5. China is still China.
6. Internal social system of India.
7. Africa is socially, politically, and economically unstable.
8. Latin America likes America's War on Drugs money. And the top guys can get trained in Georgia. The CIA helped Pinochet into power to kill a sizeable number.
So does that mean these things didn't happen. Are the Nazis any less evil? Why should America pay for slavery when the German government doesn't pay Jews?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Well, well said odinloki. People have got to expand their horizons about other countries so that they understand how the world really is and not limit themselves based upon the so-called "news" we are fed on a daily basis in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies