Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's what you want a civil marriage to be and it will be someday, but for now in most states, it's still between a female and male.
She asked me what my definition was. Though my definition will someday be the definition of civil marriage in all 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If marriage has nothing to do with religion then just use the term, "civil union". But that's not good enough for gay people. That's what it is, right? Oh, but there is significance to the word, marriage, you might say. That's because it has a religious foundation.
Well considering that the state and federal governments have laws and benefits that go with a civil MARRIAGE, and the federal government does not recognize any civil union, no thanks, I will call my marriage a marriage and get a civil marriage license.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I have no problem with things like polygamy and polyandry. Though they are different than a civil marriage between two people because it involves multiple people. There would have to be a clause to address that issue.

So, why do you think it is acceptable to deny same-sex marriage? And try not to say things like it is about having children or anything like that because those excuses you use aren't barrings for two people to get married.

OK, so we now support polyandry and polygamy along with same-sex.

Thank you for the clarification.

The other form of non-traditional marriage in question is marriages between close relatives.

I'm sure you just forgot to comment of these potential marriage arrangements.

Should a brother and sister be married by the state?

How about a brother and a brother or a sister and a sister?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
A Civil Marriage is a union between two people.

What two people could be refused a marriage license in your world?

How about siblings?

Two brothers? y/n

Bother and sister? y/n

Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, so we now support polyandry and polygamy along with same-sex.

Thank you for the clarification.

The other form of non-traditional marriage in question is marriages between close relatives.

I'm sure you just forgot to comment of these potential marriage arrangements.

Should a brother and sister be married by the state?

How about a brother and a brother or a sister and a sister?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What two people could be refused a marriage license in your world?

How about siblings?

Two brothers? y/n

Bother and sister? y/n
And does any of these things effect your own marriage? Or do you just run around throwing straw in the air and hope no one notices what you are doing?

Actually I never said I supported any one of those things, I just said they have no effect on my marriage. I do support same sex marriage.

You however have yet to give a reason why one should be against same sex marriage.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
When challenged laws that prohibit activity, such as same sex marriage, do have to show the activity causes harm. So the real question is, how does allowing those two men to marry cause harm?
So by your frazzled logic, what harm is there in a man marrying his dog, or his car? The answer is that it causes no harm at all, so why don't we endorse it then? Guess we have to allow it then, and allow any other version of marriage, since we passed your test, and the state cannot demonstrate any 'harm.'

Your problem is your do not understand why the people asked government to endorse marriage and create this framework of laws to protect it, in the first place.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM

702 posts, read 726,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So by your frazzled logic, what harm is there in a man marrying his dog, or his car? The answer is that it causes no harm at all, so why don't we endorse it then? Guess we have to allow it then, and allow any other version of marriage, since we passed your test, and the state cannot demonstrate any 'harm.'

Your problem is your do not understand why the people asked government to endorse marriage and create this framework of laws to protect it, in the first place.
A dog or a car can't enter into a contract with another party, stop being ridiculous.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Why do you consider three random women you don't know ***holes? Seems a bit harsh. Also 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce, so you can also say the same thing about those marriages too.
They are making a mockery of what gays have been fighting for, recognition of same-sex marriage. They are a--holes.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
So people you don't know getting married somehow effects your life? I don't follow you here. When my wife and I got married, did that somehow have an effect on you?
Well a single gay couple caused a Christian business owner to lose their business. I better not start a wedding business.

This whole notion that gay ppl just simply want to get married and live their lives with no affect on society is not realistic. Nationwide legalization of gay marriage will bring on a drastic society or cultural shift. And what's next? Look to Canada. Gay ppl are now suing pastors who won't marry them. Religious freedom is thrown out the window. It can happen here too.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM

702 posts, read 726,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well a single gay couple caused a Christian business owner to lose their business. I better not start a wedding business.

This whole notion that gay ppl just simply want to get married and live their lives with no affect on society is not realistic. Nationwide legalization of gay marriage will bring on a drastic society or cultural shift. And what's next? Look to Canada. Gay ppl are now suing pastors who won't marry them. Religious freedom is thrown out the window. It can happen here too.
You're saying Christians would have to treat gay people like they would any other person? Not in my America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies