Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,041,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Who else pays for it? How does Harvard pay their employees? From a tree growing in the backyard?

I dont care if you go there or not. Do you think her pay is acceptable , Yes or No?
So what you are saying is you don't understand how private universities work.

Warren's pay at Harvard is probably on par with other professors that teach there. I really don't concern myself with how much professors at private schools get paid because that isn't the taxpayers' problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,224,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem is the same as what we had with Obamacare. Too many who want to do something only want to address one side of the problem, the financing side, not the cost side.

But, we will note, no link verifying your claim.
Quote:
Which is fine until they figure out that they want taxpayers to pay for it.
Quote:
I explained my position in my first post.
Your position is a bit vague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Who else pays for it? How does Harvard pay their employees? From a tree growing in the backyard?

I dont care if you go there or not. Do you think her pay is acceptable , Yes or No?
Ever hear of endowments? Harvard is a private school and like all private schools the subsidies come from donors. Similarly, Northwestern and the U of Chicago is also private. The average MBA debt at Northwestern is about $90K, U of Chicago it's $70K (thanks to a $300 million donation), and at Harvard it's $78K.

Universities pay their professors what the market demands.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,653,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what you are saying is you don't understand how private universities work.

Warren's pay at Harvard is probably on par with other professors that teach there. I really don't concern myself with how much professors at private schools get paid because that isn't the taxpayers' problem.
Okay

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,952,085 times
Quote:
So you are trying to hunt for unicorns because your position didn't answer my question.
I didn't say a word about her. I noted that there was no link verifying the claim. Like so many things posted here the real story is the bigger story. As far as I know Warren may be willing to address the bigger problem. It would be nice if someone would ask her.

She has a valid point that the government shouldn't be in student loans for the profit. She was correct that it is wrong that those with older higher interest student loans aren't allowed to refinance them at today's lower rates. This also goes way beyond her but is she willing to address every reason people leave college today with so much debt?

U.S. Colleges Raise Tuition 4.8%, Outpacing Inflation - Bloomberg

To address the debt problem the cost side must also be addressed. Hopefully she understand this.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Your position is a bit vague.

Ever hear of endowments? Harvard is a private school and like all private schools the subsidies come from donors. Similarly, Northwestern and the U of Chicago is also private. The average MBA debt at Northwestern is about $90K, U of Chicago it's $70K (thanks to a $300 million donation), and at Harvard it's $78K.

Universities pay their professors what the market demands.

So how much does it cost a student to attend Harvard ?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I didn't say a word about her. I noted that there was no link verifying the claim. Like so many things posted here the real story is the bigger story. As far as I know Warren may be willing to address the bigger problem. It would be nice if someone would ask her.

She has a valid point that the government shouldn't be in student loans for the profit. She was correct that it is wrong that those with older higher interest student loans aren't allowed to refinance them at today's lower rates. This also goes way beyond her but is she willing to address every reason people leave college today with so much debt?

U.S. Colleges Raise Tuition 4.8%, Outpacing Inflation - Bloomberg

To address the debt problem the cost side must also be addressed. Hopefully she understand this.
Yes the rising cost of tuition is an issue, but how much Warren got paid to teach at a private college isn't an issue.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,073,520 times
I was curious of what other professors are paid. Here is an example.

Harvard Salaries by the Numbers | Magazine | The Harvard Crimson

Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,615,080 times
On a related note, CUNY is going to pay Paul Krugman $25,000 a month as a non-teaching professor to help build an income inequality studies program! Yes they're paying him in one month, what some people don't make in a year to research income inequality. He's not even teaching a course. He has to teach 1 seminar per year. By comparison, they pay adjunct professors an average of $3000 per course at CUNY, and they actually have to teach a class.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yes the rising cost of tuition is an issue, but how much Warren got paid to teach at a private college isn't an issue.
Heres an older article but a good read.

Where's all that college tuition money going? - USATODAY.com

The Economist explains: Why do Americans mistrust for-profit universities? | The Economist

It seems like the so called private universities like to shuffle the money around carelessly. They are getting these so called donations and using it to pay themselves a hefty amount of money...

Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
On a related note, CUNY is going to pay Paul Krugman $25,000 a month as a non-teaching professor to help build an income inequality studies program! Yes they're paying him in one month, what some people don't make in a year to research income inequality. He's not even teaching a course. He has to teach 1 seminar per year. By comparison, they pay adjunct professors an average of $3000 per course at CUNY, and they actually have to teach a class.
Okay. I agree, sounds excessive, especially when they could probably use their own economic professors to put together this program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies