Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Are they not Americans too? BTW....What color-blindness? Are you speaking of those that don't get hung up on skin color, view each person as an individual, and judge accordingly?
"I don't see color" is a myth.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, Blink 182 is pop-punk rock.

Musicology is silly.

I think we pretty much agree anyway so let's move on.

There is plenty of African American culture to be proud of, the problem is that it appears the youth look down on the old stuff when most of it is of much higher quality.

Does anyone really think that Jay Z is an artist of the same caliber as Stevie Wonder? Or that Jay Z is even of the caliber of Public Enemy in terms of how innovative and original they were? Not from a sales prespective, from a purely musical or artistic perspective. The problem is that a lot of real black musicians seem to need to pander to the modern rap crowd to be accepted.

No... and.... no.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have never felt any meaningful need to self identify. I'm happy to know who my parents are, and their grandparents.

Compared to getting on with life, self identity is about 100th on my list of things to care about.
why does it upset so many when someone feels the need?

It's like telling someone who is an orphan not to care about who their parents are while you have photo's of your parents on the wall.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
they are an amazing species.. always trying to tell US what to feel
They ridicule and dismiss our yearning to know because THEY KNOW THEIR HERITAGE and take it for granted.

A white man can simply look at his last name and solve 50% of the equation.

I look at my last name and feel NOTHING. It doesn't give a single indicator of who I am and where I'm from. It's just some lousy ass European name handed down from some bum who owned slaves. I resent it bitterly.

So I have no tolerance for white folks running off at the mouth about something they can afford to easily take for granted. Off the internet, it's a discussion I refuse to have with them and I will not entertain their opinions on it. They don't know and can't understand the issue. It's beyond their understanding.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
"I don't see color" is a myth.

Really? So you're telling me that because I'm white, that I don't have the capability to judge folks on an individual level rather than get hung up on stupid s*** like the color of one's skin? I have no reason to lie about who I am, and what I believe. I would think you'd rather align with people thinking as I do in judging people on their character, individuality, and their merits, and how they treat others, as opposed to what race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation that they are. But hey, if you want to continue to make it all about race, and ASSume that I play that game, then go ahead.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM

57 posts, read 65,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, I did not need a geographic listing of countries within Africa.
I listed the various countries, because some people forget that Africa is a vast continent made up of many different countries, cultures and ethnic/tribal groups.

Quote:
To a certain extent, you have made my point for me. Yet I bet you do not even see it based on your position and responses to me.
I am not certain of your background, but I think you have to understand that people have very different experiences in the U.S. based on their ethnic/racial/color composition. I'm sure Clarence Thomas views himself as an American, nevertheless, there are many who would identify him as a hyphenated American, because he is dark in color.

I can share with you that when I travel throughout Asia and parts of Europe, many believe that I am African. But when they speak to my friends and I, some just assume that we are "African Brits" LOL, despite the fact that none of us have English accents. I was told by one European that many will assume this, because they have never met an "African American," since many of the non well off ones, have never actually ventured to America. Their notion of America is largely shaped by Hollywood.

Quote:
Answer this for me. How long does one need to continue to refer to their ethnic background once they decide to make a life for themselves and their future generations?
That's a good question. I do not have any children (yet), but when I do, I will try to ensure that my children maintain the connections that I have established throughout West Africa. I will also try to ensure that they are exposed to a variety of languages (not just English) as well as various cultures (not just an American based identity). It is my hope that my future children will see themselves as an extension of their ancestors.

Quote:
As to the TR comment, I will need some time to read what you have provided.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have never felt any meaningful need to self identify. I'm happy to know who my parents are, and their grandparents.

Compared to getting on with life, self identity is about 100th on my list of things to care about.
You know your heritage, so what you're saying is a load of bull.

The only way your opinion would have any validity is if you didn't know your heritage.

Moreover, African Americans are under no obligation to be as dismissive of their heritage as you are. This is our business, not yours.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
I have no clue where my relatively recent ancestors are from nor do I care. We're all from East Africa anyway until science digs up earlier evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Really? So you're telling me that because I'm white, that I don't have the capability to judge folks on an individual level rather than get hung up on stupid s*** like the color of one's skin? I have no reason to lie about who I am, and what I believe. I would think you'd rather align with people thinking as I do in judging people on their character, individuality, and their merits, and how they treat others, as opposed to what race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation that they are. But hey, if you want to continue to make it all about race, and ASSume that I play that game, then go ahead.
I believe you. Your posts always indicate fairness.

But we have EVERY RIGHT as African-Americans to nurse a very strong and deep yearning for knowledge about who we are and where we're from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They ridicule and dismiss our yearning to know because THEY KNOW THEIR HERITAGE and take it for granted.

A white man can simply look at his last name and solve 50% of the equation.

I look at my last name and feel NOTHING. It doesn't give a single indicator of who I am and where I'm from. It's just some lousy ass European name handed down from some bum who owned slaves. I resent it bitterly.

So I have no tolerance for white folks running off at the mouth about something they can afford to easily take for granted. Off the internet, it's a discussion I refuse to have with them and I will not entertain their opinions on it. They don't know and can't understand the issue. It's beyond their understanding.
my grandmother was half white... so when my grandfather died all these white people showed up. Being 5 years old I naturally asked who the heck were all these white people.

That's your family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies