Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:50 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When they tried to rape them, they would put a few hollow points in them..
That's getting pretty silly. A firearm isn't a magic cloaking device that creates an invincibility shield around you. If it were, we wouldn't have had so many armed soldiers gunned down in Afghanistan by turncoat Afghan trainees.

A woman in a chokehold/strong grab by a stronger man is at his mercy. That is how things have been throughout history. It doesn't matter what sort of armaments she is carrying (except perhaps a suicide vest), since she won't have an opportunity to use them.

Murder rates and crime rates in general (as far as we can tell, since murder is the only truly comparable crime we have) across US states are not related to gun policy. It's simply way down the list of things that actually matter when it comes to crime.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Calling out... Gun-grabber nuts of students being robbed while walking to their cars at the parking lot on campus at night. So why are guns frequently banned on campus, by law?
Because the people who run things at the universities are generally not right-wing idiots and therefore recognize that having a bunch of armed kids partying and drinking is a very stupid idea with the significant probability of much worse outcomes than occasionally getting your car broken into. Typical conservatives, thinking that the solution is always for everyone to be armed to the teeth and walk the streets ready to do some vigilante-style slaughtering at a moment's notice. This is supposed to be civilization, not some mad max post-apocalyptic war zone.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Could you defend yourself without a gun. It's not a bad thing to learn firearms but you have to learn to defend yourself without them. Learn Karate or something.
I already do, A firearm is the best and most effective means of doing so since it remove any inequality of force, size, or numbers..

I am not looking to be in a fight, I am looking to be left alone, maybe they run away, maybe not..I am 23 I am too damn old for a fist fight.

Last edited by gunlover; 04-24-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 11:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
New Georgia Law Will Allow Guns in Schools, Churches, and Courtrooms

Wednesday afternoon, Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed a new gun law that, among other things, will allow Georgians to legally carry firearms into churches, schools, airport common areas, bars, courtrooms, and government buildings.
The Safe Carry Protection Act will prevent the state from keeping a database of licensed gun owners and eliminate the fingerprint requirement for renewing weapons carry licenses.
According to a state analysis obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the new law could also allow felons to use the state's "Stand Your Ground" defense to shoot someone to death.

I guess airports are deemed safe now as well.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
That's getting pretty silly. A firearm isn't a magic cloaking device that creates an invincibility shield around you. If it were, we wouldn't have had so many armed soldiers gunned down in Afghanistan by turncoat Afghan trainees.

A woman in a chokehold/strong grab by a stronger man is at his mercy. That is how things have been throughout history. It doesn't matter what sort of armaments she is carrying (except perhaps a suicide vest), since she won't have an opportunity to use them.

Murder rates and crime rates in general (as far as we can tell, since murder is the only truly comparable crime we have) across US states are not related to gun policy. It's simply way down the list of things that actually matter when it comes to crime.
Did I ever say it was a clocking device..in a choke hold, kick the man in the balls, when he stumbles back, draw and line up your sights and if you have to, use the level of force you view necessary to stop the threat(s)

Who the hell are you to tell someone they might have the ability to defense themselves? Just give up? Be a victim..

Yes they are..

Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because the people who run things at the universities are generally not right-wing idiots and therefore recognize that having a bunch of armed kids partying and drinking is a very stupid idea with the significant probability of much worse outcomes than occasionally getting your car broken into. Typical conservatives, thinking that the solution is always for everyone to be armed to the teeth and walk the streets ready to do some vigilante-style slaughtering at a moment's notice. This is supposed to be civilization, not some mad max post-apocalyptic war zone.
You are are the those who carry are far less likely to get drunk, in fact CCW commit far crimes per 100,000

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL...Report2011.pdf

We a Civilization one based on liberty, freedom and the means and ability to defend it.

I have no idea why leftist like you would make people helpless in the face of violent crime..

Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Who the hell are you to tell someone they might have the ability to defense themselves? Just give up? Be a victim..
I'm saying that if a man really wants to rape a woman, and he lives in a society where women are armed, he's going to take that into account when he attacks and rapes her. Similar to how people who try to kill US soldiers overseas generally use explosives or projectile-firing weapons rather than chariots and spears. Both are weapons of war, but the attack is adapted to the capabilities of the opponent.

The old state-by-state murder rate map of the US shows no clear pattern between state firearms policies and rate of murder:

Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
The 32.6% of "other" weapons, seems interesting. Usually could be domestic violence, and most cases in psychological studies of violent crimes are against a person well known to the victim.

So, the random shooting thing is unusual, despite the hysteria perpetrated by media.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 PM

To use a real-life tactic, let's say you are armed and ready to defend yourself. Then a sack gets tossed on top of your head and pulled tight around your neck, and you can't see anything. Now what? Blindly open fire? Flail around and try to pull it off?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'm saying that if a man really wants to rape a woman, and he lives in a society where women are armed, he's going to take that into account when he attacks and rapes her. Similar to how people who try to kill US soldiers overseas generally use explosives or projectile-firing weapons rather than chariots and spears. Both are weapons of war, but the attack is adapted to the capabilities of the opponent.

The old state-by-state murder rate map of the US shows no clear pattern between state firearms policies and rate of murder:
If we could only break it down in a county by county map..

I now see the point you are making, I thought you were going in a difference direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies