U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM

622 posts, read 2,501,188 times

Advertisements

i like oregon's idea- its all done by mail in that state and people have time to read over the issues before they send it in- seems easy and convenient for all. plus there is a paper trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 04:44 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
i like oregon's idea- its all done by mail in that state and people have time to read over the issues before they send it in- seems easy and convenient for all. plus there is a paper trail.
It was convenient, but we had to wait longer for results, and then there was some issues with the counting, that was fun! I had a week to review, kinda like a cheat sheet!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,056,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ifyou dont have to show ID how would anyone know you are an actual american citizen?
I've never had to show ID once in 18 years.

If the election board stays on top of things and eliminates dead people off the rolls, I don't see how this sort of thing should be a widespread problem.

My point is that our voting system has far bigger problems than people misrepresenting themselves.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,302,425 times
mb919, I think it's the opposite! I think one of the WORST problems is people misrepresenting themselves! There was that whole scandal where people were voting for people in jail, people get fake ss, people are registered in 2 counties so vote twice etc etc!!! It's INSANE!!!

Maria!!! Not only are you considering going vegan, you don't watch tv either???!!! You ROCK!!!
(It's like we're aliens for not watching the all mighty tv! )

I think that's a GREAT idea that OR sends INFO for voters to base their decisions on! That's what I complained about in my first post - it's hard to figure out the "lawyer speak" & hard to gather info on certain candidates/issues.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 PM

311 posts, read 549,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I've never had to show ID once in 18 years.

If the election board stays on top of things and eliminates dead people off the rolls, I don't see how this sort of thing should be a widespread problem.

My point is that our voting system has far bigger problems than people misrepresenting themselves.
We don't have to show ID either, but I think we should. I have only missed voting in one election since I became old enough to vote (LONG ago!). No absentee ballot....I didn't vote, or so I thought. While at the election board later in regards to another matter, a worker there checked the book and told me that I had voted! My passport shows that I was not in the US at that time. My husband had to check for himself since they wouldn't give me his information and guess what? He voted also! Point here is VOTE for yourself or someone else may vote for you!

You are right, if the election board stays on top of things it shouldn't be a problem but as with anything else, things happen.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 PM

454 posts, read 636,986 times
So, how about a simple fix to most of the voting issues. Start over. Delete all of the voting registration rolls. Require people who have proof they are American citizens show up either in person to sign up to vote, or have an authorized agency verify the proof in person.

We have a right as American Citizens to vote. NOBODY else in the world has the right to vote in an American election without being a citizen. I do not want there to be any chance that my vote is canceled out by either a dead person, in illegal alien or some fictional person.

It seems to me that our loose attitude about who can register to vote, a don't ask don't tell policy for some of the motor voter programs for example has contributed to the "my vote does not count" syndrome.

Lets get some backbone America! If your a citizen, If you know the issues, then be a citizen. Vote!

All others need not apply.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,786,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
We don't have to show ID either, but I think we should. I have only missed voting in one election since I became old enough to vote (LONG ago!). No absentee ballot....I didn't vote, or so I thought. While at the election board later in regards to another matter, a worker there checked the book and told me that I had voted! My passport shows that I was not in the US at that time. My husband had to check for himself since they wouldn't give me his information and guess what? He voted also! Point here is VOTE for yourself or someone else may vote for you!

You are right, if the election board stays on top of things it shouldn't be a problem but as with anything else, things happen.

Because we are in AZ the land of illegals we have to show I think at least 2 forms of ID.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 8,012 times
Default you're all sheep

just get herded to one candidate and cast you're vote then you're a good person for voting, NOT. You don't have to vote. I hate this topic ,for example, urging people to vote. Well I hate to tell you this but alot of the people that do vote are misinformed or not informed at all and simply voting b/c of the belief that you're actually doing something when you go and vote. Well ya you're doing something mainly wasting gas, and a couple hours time waiting in line. I'm not a republican and I'm not a democrat. SO answer me this if I'm none of the above then what am I really voting for, to feel good, to feel like I actually did something, well I apologize but I'm not that guy. I'm not that proud little independent party backer that smiles as he casts his vote for nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Why did I just vote, oh yeah I'm easily influenced, that's right. SO hey everyone get out there and vote, it doesn't really matter who what when where or why, just do it. Did you ever stop to think that maybe almost half of americans don't vote, not b/c they don't care, but b/c they just don't have a reason to. I don't vote b/c I'd like to think I have an opinion and that I stick to it. I like to think that I'm not easily swayed by flashy speeches and political campaigns. It's all BS. Is there something that affects you? Do you have a reason to vote, if so then go vote, if not then be free. Nowadays voting is like a prison, they make you feel like you have to do it. You're trapped and you have to decide between really gross dumb old white guy or really gross old dumb black guy(in previous years is was white vs. white, even more boring) niether of which can relate to todays youth, they have to try and buy people which is why they are so rich to begin with. I've lost my train of thought and this will probably be enough to suffice as my answer anyway.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM

145 posts, read 220,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I am sure everyone here is aware that we need to get out and vote, even though most people are aware our voting statistics are horrible. I honestly think we get the government we deserve because we not only do not vote, we do not know what the candidates stand for or what thier record is or if they are new what they are really about. This election is one of the most important, it will determine how the war in Iraq is handled, social security reform, immigration, minimum wage,may be a Supreme court justice ,I could go on and on. The young people of this country have the most at stake and yet they vote the least, please if you are one of the young people who do vote, get as many of your friends to the polls, remember the baby boomers are going to run this country as senior citizens and unless you guys get out thier and care about education, roads, taxes, the space plan, enviroment, all of these may take a second place to the needs of baby boomers because we vote. We need a happy medium, when senior citizens talk the politicians listen because they vote. Lets think about when young people vote politicians listen. Remember you can't complain about the government unless you vote, you lose the right to ***** and what a precious right that is.
Nah, we're at a stage where we need to get out and burn cars and smash windows and throw things at cops and get arrested en masse.

THAT'S the only thing that'll bring about some change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies