Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 01:21 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Maybe. The point is that we don't know.
He mas made millions off of vaccines. That is a fact. Even experts can be corrupt.
Do you have any evidence that Dr. Offit is corrupt? If, not, perhaps you should not imply that he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If this was it wouldn't autism have always been around? Plus why the high rate all of a sudden in the last 25 yrs.

Not sure so sure this is the reason.
Autism has always been with us. The diagnosis has just been renamed, publicized, and now is useful as a means of providing money for services for those who have it.

The diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome is going to completely disappear because it is now classified with all the other varieties of autism. That reclassification has happened in the past with autism. Moving the diagnosis from one page in a book to another alters the prevalence numbers.

My husband's best childhood friend has Asperger's. Sixty years ago he was just a weird kid.

Also, computerization has made it easier to count diagnoses. Sixty years ago there was no reason for a doc to do more than note that a child had "mental retardation" on a paper chart in a filing cabinet. No one collected that information from community doctors. What would be the point when there was not much to offer those children, who were often institutionalized? Also, insurance did not pay for outpatient care, only hospitalization. Over your twenty five year interval, it has become easy to data mine insurance claims for diagnoses. The information that never made it out of the private pediatrician's office is now on every insurance claim filed.

Since there is money at stake, we also have to recognize that over-diagnosis happens, too. Under performing kids with a diagnosis get more help than those who are perceived as just lazy.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have any evidence that Dr. Offit is corrupt? If, not, perhaps you should not imply that he is.
He may or may not be corrupt but he most certainly does have a major conflict of interest in regards to vaccines.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My body does not belong to you or to the state.

I should make MY decisions, you should make YOURS. You can also wear a face mask during flu season if you think your vaccinations didn't work.

I haven't had the flu in many years -- so chances are I'm immune -- not getting vaccines isn't making me contagious anyway -- I haven't even had a cold in a long time.

I would like to see the amount of sick time used this season compared with those who got vaccines and those who didn't. I did not call in one day to work -- many of my coworkers did but most had flu shots and they called in because they had a flu. One guy who said he got the flu vaccine got so sick with a flu that he went to the emergency room, so your changes of being exposed to something bad could be more likely from someone who had the flu shot than from me who didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And as I have stated all along no surprise here, anti-vaxxers don't give a **** about their fellow man. At least you're honest about it I guess.
Your labeling aside, I don't see how his comments can be extrapolated into "not caring about your fellow man". Really?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:21 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I've worked with autistic children, and adults, over many years. One observation I have made is that the overwhelming majority are MALE. I have known families with 4+ children. Some vaccinated their children and other did not. Yet, the vaccinations did not seem to make a difference. They had multiple SONS who were autistic but NONE of their daughters were. If their daughters were being vaccinated, why weren't they autistic as well as their brothers?

Perhaps females might be carriers (like hemophilia), but it will almost always show up in the males. While I am not a gung ho vaccination person myself, from my observations the vaccination doesn't seem to be the factor. Otherwise, why wouldn't the rate be about the same in sons and daughters being vaccinated?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
He may or may not be corrupt but he most certainly does have a major conflict of interest in regards to vaccines.
Vaccines are Offit's area of expertise. He helped develop that rotovirus vaccine! I don't see that as a conflict of interest, I see it as being a leader in the field.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I've worked with autistic children, and adults, over many years. One observation I have made is that the overwhelming majority are MALE. I have known families with 4+ children. Some vaccinated their children and other did not. Yet, the vaccinations did not seem to make a difference. They had multiple SONS who were autistic but NONE of their daughters were. If their daughters were being vaccinated, why weren't they autistic as well as their brothers?

Perhaps females might be carriers (like hemophilia), but it will almost always show up in the males. While I am not a gung ho vaccination person myself, from my observations the vaccination doesn't seem to be the factor. Otherwise, why wouldn't the rate be about the same in sons and daughters being vaccinated?

Why Girls May Be Protected Against Autism | TIME.com

There is interest in the X chromosome as a source for the difference, though it is unlikely to be as simple as the hemophilia example:

Molecular Autism | Full text | An X-chromosome-wide association study in autism families identifies TBL1X as a novel autism spectrum disorder candidate gene in males

And people with Fragile X Syndrome have autistic symptoms:

Fragile X Syndrome - National Fragile X Foundation

Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
I think that genetics play a role, but environment is a huge factor. Twin studies are interesting in this regard. The most recent twin study, the California Autism Twin Study, showed that environment appears to play an even bigger role then previously thought.
Genetic Heritability and Shared Environmental Factors Among Twin Pairs With Autism
I have found identical twins do share same gene and would give genetics reasoning. The reason I question this, my friend had no signs or people on either side of their families that had mental issues.

Well, one exception his mom

Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Vaccines are Offit's area of expertise. He helped develop that rotovirus vaccine! I don't see that as a conflict of interest, I see it as being a leader in the field.
He made millions off of that vaccine that he developed and serves in a position of power to make public policy decisions in regards to the same vaccine that he developed. It's a huge conflict of interest.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-27-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 03:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
He made millions off of that vaccine that he developed and serves in a position of power to make public policy decisions in regards to the same vaccine that he developed. It's a huge conflict of interest.
What is he conflicting with?

Old 04-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

According to recent sources, 1 in 31 school age boys has autism and 1 in 143 school aged girls have autism.
U.S. autism estimates climb to 1 in 50 school-age children | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies