Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, I am well aware of that. If you noticed I said STUDENT LOANS. The person I was responding to thinks student loans are the government giving money to universities.

Research money is extremely important for out country and the advancements we make.
Would the government provide student loans to a university that refuses to admit minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Like it or not when an institution is accepting public money they become "agents" of the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
WOW!!!!

Universities get federal research grants all the time.
Quote:
Yes, I am well aware of that. If you noticed I said STUDENT LOANS. The person I was responding to thinks student loans are the government giving money to universities.

Research money is extremely important for out country and the advancements we make.

Really, pknopp said that. Holy moley! I want those special glasses! It must be a fun world to see.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Would the government provide student loans to a university that refuses to admit minorities?
A university that refuses to admit minorities would have bigger problems to worry about than student loans.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Really, pknopp said that. Holy moley! I want those special glasses! It must be a fun world to see.
It was in another thread. Or do you think your posts in each thread are independent from themselves?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
You still haven't said if this is over any specific event or just a generalized rant that one cannot argue against because there is actually no proof that your statement has any truth to it.
"Rant"? I guess we know where you stand on protecting free speech.

Google is your friend. I'll help you.

Statists Declare War on Free Speech

Hawaii college sued for stopping students from handing out Constitution | Fox News

University Of Hawaii Sued For Restricting Handout Of Constitution : Personal Liberty

Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Does the government give funding to students to go to institutions that violate the students constitutional rights?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
It was in another thread. Or do you think your posts in each thread are independent from themselves?

Axelrod? Is that you? LOL!
You quoted them....

Nice spin, or diverting the thread, which is it? Pick two.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
A university that refuses to admit minorities would have bigger problems to worry about than student loans.
Irregardless we will note that you dodged the question. Don't call people out for things you aren't willing to defend.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Why do we allow colleges to remove the right to free speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This case is not unusual. A number of colleges (and other incidents like the Bundy Cattle fiasco) have designated small, out of the way areas for free speech. This is exactly what the First Amendment protects us from. Speech is not free if you are restricted to a tiny part of a college campus.

The first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, "

And the Supreme Court has correctly ruled that the First Amendment applies to school kids. This is from Wikipedia;

"In Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969), the Supreme Court extended free speech rights to students in school. The case involved several students who were punished for wearing black armbands to protest the Vietnam War. The Court ruled that the school could not restrict symbolic speech that did not "materially and substantially" interrupt school activities. Justice Abe Fortas wrote:

First Amendment rights, applied in light of the special characteristics of the school environment, are available to teachers and students. It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate. [...] [S]chools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students ... are possessed of fundamental rights which the State must respect, just as they themselves must respect their obligations to the State."
---------------------------------
Clearly, handing out a copy of the constitution on a college campus would not "materially and substantially interrupt school activities." And if the constitution would "materially and substantially interrupt school activities", maybe we should evaluate that school's existence.

FYI: from your own post. Colleges are not congress.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Irregardless we will note that you dodged the question. Don't call people out for things you aren't willing to defend.
I didn't dodge your question, I actually answered it. If a university was refusing minorities, they would be hit with so many lawsuits that it wouldn't matter if the US denied student loans to be used at their school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies