Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a monarchist or an anti-monarchist?
Monarchist 9 23.68%
Anti-monarchist 13 34.21%
I am indifferent to this 16 42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
That would depend upon the Monarchy. I would have no interest in seeing one in the USA as we already have our established elitists. I know that some Monarchy's are loved by their people, revered even and for good reason. There are also some that rule through a bit of intimidation.
That is true, there are some in Europe that seem to do well and are quite liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 07:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is true, there are some in Europe that seem to do well and are quite liked.
The royal family in Thailand is revered, loved even. The King is loved as one might love their own father.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Whoops. I voted monarchist even though I meant to vote indifferent, so mentally change the results when you look at them . The entire concept of monarchy implies an elitist ideology of government superiority over the common man, which is inimical to human freedom and the equality all people deserve. Monarchs also usually hold substantial powers without any accountability to the people government is there to serve, usually referred to as reserve powers. So I am certainly opposed to creating new monarchies no matter what their powers are, with the rare exception of a country where it would be a definite benefit to the government's legitimacy in the eyes of the people.

It's a bit different in a country that has a tradition of a monarchy or royalty of some sort; they have a unique and distinctive cultural heritage that I would strongly prefer to be preserved and cherished, the various German royals being a great example. In these cases I prefer a separation of the crown and political power; such a system currently exists in Japan and Sweden. You have the historical and cultural link and distinctiveness, but without any of the elitist ideology or risk of abusing powers.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
By "right of arms", do you mean a monarch which comes to power through a coup or something similar?
Sure. Or a formal tournament. I was kind of being tongue-in-cheek, but my point was that monarchies are not necessarily hereditary.

Anyway, I am not entirely against any type of monarchy, per se, but some of them are less justifiable than others. If they serve a purpose and don't incur undue costs to the tax payer for what they may provide, then I don't have a problem with them. There are a lot of jobs that take more than they provide.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I literally cannot understand how anyone, especially an American, can give the slightest credence to the idea that some people are entitled to great power and wealth due solely to an accident of birth. It is literally un-American.

I also can't understand how an American can stand to refer to someone as "Sir" this or that, given that our founding document declares the inherent illegitimacy of royalty.
Doesn´t americans call unknown people sir and ma´am?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Thoughts?
insofar as "other" countries are concerned, i don't care.

i live in a republic, and i'm happy with that setup.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I also can't understand how an American can stand to refer to someone as "Sir" this or that, given that our founding document declares the inherent illegitimacy of royalty.
in america, at least, "Sir" has no connection with royalty. it is just a polite or respectful way of addressing a man.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Doesn´t americans call unknown people sir and ma´am?
Some do, but I'm talking about people who refer to Paul McCartney as "Sir Paul" and stuff like that.

The way I think of it, since our American principles declare that monarchies are inherently illegitimate so is any title conveyed by a monarch.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It's one of those things that can't possibly work on paper, but seems to do fairly well in reality. I grew up in a monarchy and while I would never argue for abolishing it in Denmark, I certainly wouldn't go the monarchy route if I were to write a constitution from scratch.

One great feature is that head of states and head of government is on two different people. You can happily take pride in the Queen representing your country while flipping the bird at the embarrassment of a PM and his parody of a cabinet.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
I don't see all that much difference in a person being "declared king" due to bloodline and a person being "declared king" due to party line. Both can be good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies