Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times

Advertisements

For those of you who honestly say that this country is more divided than it has ever been, please tell me... HOW? It's a simple question.

How in the hell is this country more divided now than it was during the Revolutionary War when there were many people still loyal to the British crown? How is it more divided than it was during the Civil War? How is it more divided than it was during the tumultuous times of the 1960's? Even just 20 years ago with the Rodney King verdict and OJ Trial, you mean to tell me that it's more divided NOW?

Seriously.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-27-2014 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Seriously? That was just trolling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
For those of you who honestly say that this country is more divided than it has ever been, please tell me... HOW? It's a simple question.

How in the hell is this country more divided now than it was during the Revolutionary War when there were many people still loyal to the British crown? How is it more divided than it was during the Civil War? How is it more divided than it was during the tumultuous times of the 1960's? Even just 20 years ago with the Rodney King verdict and OJ Trial, you mean to tell me that it's more divided NOW?

Seriously.
Yes. Seriously. Most people are referring to within their lifetimes, or their parents. Not going as far back as the civil war. We are more divided now then we were during Rodney King or OJ. And most are referring to the current politics which to be honest have gotten pretty bitter and partisan.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes. Seriously. Most people are referring to within their lifetimes, or their parents. Not going as far back as the civil war. We are more divided now then we were during Rodney King or OJ. And most are referring to the current politics which to be honest have gotten pretty bitter and partisan.
That's b.s.

There's no way in hell this country is any more divided than it has been...

Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't see people getting as worked up as they do now over two people of the same sex picking up marriage licenses as they did over two black boys jumping in the wrong pool during the 1960s.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
That's b.s.

Im 43, in my lifetime this is the worst I have seen it. Thats just my opinion. Like most who say the statement referred its based on their opinion...however here is some research on it saying the congress is the most divided ever, and its a good representation of the people as well in my opinion.

Sooo yeah I'd say in the last 50 years its probably at its worst.

Report Finds 113th Congress Most Divided in History | IVN.us

Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
That's b.s.

I agree. A lot of people don't remember the Vietnam War and the deadly demonstrations that caused as in Kent State. No one is dying in the streets now over demonstrating against ObamaCare.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sorry, I don't see people getting as worked up as they do now over two people of the same sex picking up marriage licenses as they did over two black boys jumping in the wrong pool during the 1960s.
The ACA.

And trust me, lots ARE upset about that too

Bundy is a recent event

The 99% protests

Shrug...and its getting worse.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
The ACA.

Bundy is a recent event

The 99% protests

Shrug...and its getting worse.
Animals, not people have died over the Bundy problem.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,587,955 times
Quote:

Seriously.
Yes, I am telling you that the country is more divided now than it ever has been. Even during the civil war most everyone identified themselves as Americans... sure we had two sides but both sides believed themselves to be American. During the revolutionary war both sides still considered themselves coming from the same background with different ideas about how they should be governed.

Today the majority of the nation does not identify themselves as American. Everyone has a class, category, race, sexual orientation, or religion that they call themselves and for some reason that is the only thing they consider themselves to be. The other day while teaching my class, one of my students made the statement that I was the only American in the classroom since I was the only white person. These kids truly believe that because they are not white they CAN'T be Americans..... who the hell taught them this?

America use to be the great melting pot, now we just look like an explosion in a fast food restaurant.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Yes, I am telling you that the country is more divided now than it ever has been. Even during the civil war most everyone identified themselves as Americans... sure we had two sides but both sides believed themselves to be American. During the revolutionary war both sides still considered themselves coming from the same background with different ideas about how they should be governed.

Today the majority of the nation does not identify themselves as American. Everyone has a class, category, race, sexual orientation, or religion that they call themselves and for some reason that is the only thing they consider themselves to be. The other day while teaching my class, one of my students made the statement that I was the only American in the classroom since I was the only white person. These kids truly believe that because they are not white they CAN'T be Americans..... who the hell taught them this?

America use to be the great melting pot, now we just look like an explosion in a fast food restaurant.
It feels like you who are saying that are just completely oblivious to other people's feelings and thoughts of what they experience here everyday.

During the Civil War, there was a large population of people who weren't even considered to be human beings, so how exactly could they identify themselves as American? During the Revolution, there were spies and people who were completely against separating themselves from Britain.

And I'm pretty damn sure that most people actually do identify themselves as Americans as it is the country they are living in. Whether people refer to themselves as African American, Native American, White American, Asian Americans, Gay Americans... notice how all of those labels still have "AMERICAN" in them. As for one of your kids believing that you can only be considered an American if you're white... that's nothing new. That way of thinking has BEEN around for decades. Centuries, even. It's not true, but because of where they grew up, who raised them, and what they saw in their surroundings, yeah, they're going to believe that.

America is still a melting pot. We've made MUCH more progress than regress, whether you want to believe that or not. If I was here in 1950's Texas as a black male, if I so much as looked at a white woman in a certain way, there was a pretty good chance I could lose my life. If you ask me, I'd think we're not nearly as divided now as we were then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies