Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

The petitioner will fail IMO

As he should

Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 AM

626 posts, read 992,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Maybe you should call him Doctor Michael Newdow. He is a graduate of the UCLA Medical School (1978) and practiced as an emergency room physician for many years. Or perhaps you could call him Michael Newdow, Esq., as he is also a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School (1988), and has argued before the US Supreme Court.
Look, I'm not a Christian and don't really care for the references to "God", but this pursuit is an obsession. Where did this man go wrong? He used to be relevant, and this is an attempt to make himself relevant once more. Honestly, of all the problems this country has, he's chosen one of the most meaningless and superficial to make his cause.

The reason I objected the label of "atheist" for the man is because that makes atheists look like a group of zealots, and the truth is that most aren't. There are just a few loudmouthed idiots, like Newdow.

Last edited by Aqualung; 12-10-2007 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 AM

756 posts, read 1,999,921 times
Posted by" saganista
What sort of message is that to send to our children? Work hard...get both a medical degree and a law degree...then you'll be a LOSER. Sheesh!!!

I guess it tells our children not to judge people by what kind of degree they hold but maybe by his humanity and did he embrace the all people no matter what they believe in.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Posted by" saganista
What sort of message is that to send to our children? Work hard...get both a medical degree and a law degree...then you'll be a LOSER. Sheesh!!!

I guess it tells our children not to judge people by what kind of degree they hold but maybe by his humanity and did he embrace the all people no matter what they believe in.
Thank you for this excellent post

Old 12-10-2007, 07:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I have always been annoyed by having to say a “pledge of allegiance” in the first place and by having to say “under god’ in the second. Requiring children to pledge their allegiance is stateism at it’s most blatant and just a form of indoctrination. I always thought “I’ll damn well pledge my allegiance to something that will return the favor”. I was raised as an atheist, since become an agnostic, and just didn’t say the under god part. I still find it annoying that this form of forced group think is pushed on everyone at the most inopportune times. Besides I think the words are a great hypocrisy at best – ‘With Freedom and Justice for All”. Yeah, right. Great idea, but I’ll join in when this is the reality.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have always been annoyed by having to say a “pledge of allegiance” in the first place and by having to say “under god’ in the second. Requiring children to pledge their allegiance is stateism at it’s most blatant and just a form of indoctrination. I always thought “I’ll damn well pledge my allegiance to something that will return the favor”. I was raised as an atheist, since become an agnostic, and just didn’t say the under god part. I still find it annoying that this form of forced group think is pushed on everyone at the most inopportune times. Besides I think the words are a great hypocrisy at best – ‘With Freedom and Justice for All”. Yeah, right. Great idea, but I’ll join in when this is the reality.
Sorry you feel this way Greg

How do you feel about our National Anthem? Or, other Patriotic songs?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,622 times
So according to this thread, the majority rules and the heck with the minority then? Mmmm.

was not our country founded on freedom? Forcing people to do something is not real freedom, is it?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
So according to this thread, the majority rules and the heck with the minority then? Mmmm.

was not our country founded on freedom? Forcing people to do something is not real freedom, is it?
Are you forced to say the Pledge of Alligence?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I believe when I went to school it was mandatory to say the Pledge of Allegiance and there was a severe punishment if one did not stand with the class when it was announced, or in the auditorium once per week.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
In the last forty years I have felt that my country has become a mutated monster that is more like our enemies than like I was brought up to expect. We are no longer the champions of individual rights and the rule of law but have become an supporter of whichever totalitarian thug will allow their country to be looted by the international banking system. We are the enforcement thugs for a gang of thieves.

I believe we have lost our way and are loosing our Republic. I am quite frightened by the direction we are heading. I can only hope we can change course and again be the bright and shining light to the world. I hope and work for this to happen but I do not expect it to change until we are completely morally, financially and politically bankrupt.

I will not pledge my allegiance to an international analog of the Soprano’s. I already pledged my allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies