U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 01:19 AM

28,208 posts, read 47,606,329 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO - Atheist Michael Newdow is asking a federal appeals court to rule again that the words "under God" should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Atheist asks court to rule again against Pledge of Allegiance (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)

Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 AM

625 posts, read 899,355 times
Instead of calling "Atheist Michael Newdow", he should be called "Loser Michael Newdow". The guy obviously has nothing better to do with his time.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,075,734 times
This is America. It is based on freedom of religion and the majority of Americans still believe in that. Let Newdow go to some completely Godless country and he won't have to worry about "In God we Trust." He probably won't have any other freedoms either.
By the way, everytime he pays for a purchase with American money he passes along the message of In God we Trust. Is He going to throw all his money away? if he truly doesn't like that phrase he should start by cleansing his own house. Including shredding or burning his money.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 AM

1,572 posts, read 3,684,590 times
Wheather or not atheists are a minority has nothing to do with their right to object to the Pledge of Allegiance's wording, which currently affirms a deity. Why don't we just change it to "One nation under Jesus/Pat Robertson" and get it over with?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 AM

12,014 posts, read 16,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
This is America. It is based on freedom of religion and the majority of Americans still believe in that. Let Newdow go to some completely Godless country and he won't have to worry about "In God we Trust." He probably won't have any other freedoms either.
How is it freedom of religion when the state essentially is supporting a monotheistic belief?

Ever since I was old enough to realize that the pledge means nothing because it is forced upon children too young to realize what they are pledging too (which is wrong IMO- they should understand the meaning and not just say it), I have sat through the pledge. At the time, I was very religion and saying G-d was offensive to me in the pledge. It was only added to make us seem all tough and religion in the red scare and has no importance now. My grandparents didn't say "under God" in their pledge, why should I?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,376,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Instead of calling "Atheist Michael Newdow", he should be called "Loser Michael Newdow". The guy obviously has nothing better to do with his time.
Maybe you should call him Doctor Michael Newdow. He is a graduate of the UCLA Medical School (1978) and practiced as an emergency room physician for many years. Or perhaps you could call him Michael Newdow, Esq., as he is also a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School (1988), and has argued before the US Supreme Court.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
By the way, everytime he pays for a purchase with American money he passes along the message of In God we Trust. Is He going to throw all his money away? if he truly doesn't like that phrase he should start by cleansing his own house. Including shredding or burning his money.
Actually, many atheists and other non-religious folks strike out the text on bills they handle and replace it with something more suitable. You can even order little stamps for this purpose on the internet. They obliterate In God We Trust, and imprint E Pluribus Unum, or Atheist Money, or some such appropriate alternative...

Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 AM

756 posts, read 1,794,324 times
He is still a loser!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Wheather or not atheists are a minority has nothing to do with their right to object to the Pledge of Allegiance's wording, which currently affirms a deity. Why don't we just change it to "One nation under Jesus/Pat Robertson" and get it over with?
Given that In God We Trust is nothing more than free advertising space for Christianity, and given the terrible situation that the Bushie budgets are in, I really think we ought to open this thing up to competitive bidding. Sort of a stadium naming-rights kind of thing. Then we could have The New Dodge Durango -- Ram Tough on our money and help reduce the budget deficit all at the same time. Sounds like a win-win situation to me...

Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
He is still a loser!!!!
What sort of message is that to send to our children? Work hard...get both a medical degree and a law degree...then you'll be a LOSER. Sheesh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.