Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,983,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because the vast majority wanted it that way, and are paying for some services? Because it helped manage the ranges better?

Who knows why people might want something other then anarchy.
Who is this "vast majority" you speak of. I never got to vote on what land the feds have taken.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I never got to vote on what land the feds have taken.........
Would you rather the feds had not taken it from Mexico?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM

34,271 posts, read 19,338,663 times
Quote:
Who is this "vast majority" you speak of. I never got to vote on what land the feds have taken.........
Because maybe it happened before you were born?

Unless you happen to be really really really old....

Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,308,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
From the looks of his cows, his bulls were nothing special. I didn't see any of his cattle that were purebreds. They all looked light for the amount of time they've been on the BLM range, which is not at it's best for the year.

Obviously, Bundy takes much greater care of is melons than his cattle. His melons have an excellent reputation and are, according to what I read, are all certified organic. The cows are just an excuse to get on a horse once in a while.

Range bulls don't cost any more than a couple of good cows. These days, all the best bulls never go to the range.
The prize bulls lead very pampered lives in barns and are never allowed to breed naturally because it is too dangerous to them. They are used as semen factories, and their semen is sold in artificial insemination straws that are used by humans to inseminate the cattle a dozen or so at a time in chutes, one after another.

The process is only done by ranchers who are serious about improving the quality of their herds. Artificial insemination comes with a guarantee a cow will conceive and 'settle' into pregnancy. No conception, no money changes hands. The semen is frozen in nitrogen, so it can be sent any time until a cow conceives.

It's all in the numbers; these days, the very best mother cows, who need not be purebred, are more valuable as surrogate mothers to implanted embryos than bulls, as they produce more consistently viable calves. Cattlemen will pay more for very feminine cows who have good mothering records than for bulls.
Cattle cloning done this way has been going on for decades now, in both meat and dairy cattle.

Range bulls left on their own, like Bundy's, often become become buddies and only breed a few heifers, taking turns, and ignore all the other cows. Half a herd that's fallow can drive a cattleman out of business in a year's time.

A fallow cow is a loss for the year. Deciding to keep a fallow cow is something that must be weighed very carefully. Not so with a bull. A good cow can live to be 10 or more, but a good bull usually doesn't live longer than 4-5 years at most. They aren't allowed to become too old, or too heavy or too lazy.

Responsible cattlemen who use range bulls manage their bulls closely during the breeding season, and bulls have to earn their keep. One who doesn't perform ends up in the same hamburger a steer or a cow does.

A bull's purpose in life begins and ends within about 6-9 weeks. For the rest of the year, he's just a lazy hay burner, so he has to do his job well or he's down the road.
I just have to ask....

Is your stance only animals with a high dollar value deserve to be treated with kindness and respect as much as possible???

So what if Bundy's cattle were NOT prize winners???

That means it is OK to abuse them....OMG!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Would you rather the feds had not taken it from Mexico?
Yes I know we should all leave............not the point. We take like all others. What wars are about.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because maybe it happened before you were born?

Unless you happen to be really really really old....
Exactly..............and you continue to scream...........why?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Yes I know we should all leave............not the point.
What is your point then? The only time the Feds took this land was in 1848 from Mexico.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 PM

So it is our land then..............is the point.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So it is our land then..............is the point.
So? I agree it's public land. Are you trying to argue that because of that, all 314,000,000 American citizens can go use this land at anytime for any purpose he or she wants?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 PM

34,271 posts, read 19,338,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I just have to ask....

Is your stance only animals with a high dollar value deserve to be treated with kindness and respect as much as possible???

So what if Bundy's cattle were NOT prize winners???

That means it is OK to abuse them....OMG!!!
Sigh. Animals are put down all the time for various reasons. Theres nothing indicating these were put down inhumanely, but lets be honest, they were put down. I know its not a nice thought, but thats what we do to cattle. This one involved gunfire I suspect due to the situation.

I love steak, and I know that the steak I am eating used to be an animal, and it was in fact killed for my food. If you can't handle the reality of cattle then you should probably be a vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies