Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What is a soldier's order of loyalty? What should it be?
Is it religion first - before country and family or should it be country first?
Mission first.

You do want me to show up to support you in the right place at the right time with all the air and fire I can give you, right?

'Cause if not, we could be having a square dance or something.

Operationally...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times
God
Family
Country
Army
Unit
myself

This was the priority I learned.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was vehemently anti the Vietnam war. They drafted me anyway and sent me there. Really during my time there, it was about buddies and trying not to get yourself killed. The whole right and wrong of it disappeared. Certainly NO ONE I met ever thought it was about freedom, country or any of that BS they feed you. Going back to the world was all that mattered. There were a few who got a rush out of it. Not many. I was Army. Marines may have been different. After I got back I was even more anti-war than I had been. I still am.
Everyone should be anti war.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
The British Oath of allegiance reflects the fact that the Armed Forces serve the sovereign (Queen Elizabeth II) and not Parliament or Politicians.

Quote:
I... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me.
Each Regiment also has it's own Colonel in Chief, often a member of the British Royal Family or in certain cases a member of a foreign Royal Family such as the The Light Dragoons whose Colonel in Chief is The King of Jordan or the The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment whose Colonel in Chief is Margrethe II of Denmark (The Queen of Denmark).

Colonel-in-Chief - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does make me laugh is when tourists in London or Windsor get in the way of the Guards (who are professional soldiers carrying out Guard Duty and who have served in places such as Iraq and Afghanistan). The Tourists don't exoect the Guards to suddenly scream at them, as contrary to myth the Guards don't always just stand around mute, and they don't always take kindly to tourists getting in their way or misbehaving - LOL.

Last edited by Bamford; 04-29-2014 at 04:52 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
What is a soldier's order of loyalty?
The oath is to uphold the constitution.

Quote:
What should it be?
There is no state religion so I'd take out or demote the God part.

When did it change???
"When I was in the Corps, loyalty was to God Corps and then country (and still is for me). We swore to uphold and protect the Constitution and abide by LAWFUL orders. Marines swore loyalty to the Corps first in order to protect the Constitution and our Country from all enemies foreign and domestic which is why Corps came before country. That key word "domestic" was put there for a reason. Swearing to country before Corps makes the domestic part of our oath invalid. "

Clearly, this bozo didn't grasp the oath he swore to.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
For me, there are two lists:

List one: Why I would volunteer to serve:
  1. To defend my personal freedom
  2. To defend the freedom of my family and friends
  3. To defend my country from tyranny
  4. To defend the world from tyranny insofar as it would accomplish the first 3
List two: What would guide my actions on the battlefield:
  1. My faith
  2. My conscience
  3. Self-preservation
  4. Preservation of fellow soldiers
  5. Preservation of the innocent
  6. Only engage in war that has been declared by the Congress
  7. Follow orders of Commander-in-Chief
  8. Follow orders of superiors of lesser rank
I did not serve, in part because I don't believe in blindly following orders.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:

When did it change???
"When I was in the Corps, loyalty was to God Corps and then country (and still is for me). We swore to uphold and protect the Constitution and abide by LAWFUL orders. Marines swore loyalty to the Corps first in order to protect the Constitution and our Country from all enemies foreign and domestic which is why Corps came before country. That key word "domestic" was put there for a reason. Swearing to country before Corps makes the domestic part of our oath invalid. "
What possible need would a god have for the Marine Corps?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
There are military services other than the Marine Corps.

This really isn't all that complicated. The oath you take upon entering military service is spelled out. If from that one can't figure out what loyalty is or how to interpret it, then maybe they shouldn't be in the military.

A soldier's order of loyalty? It figures, only a Marine would ask, everyone else already figured it out.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:

When did it change???

To the best of my memory, when I entered the military we were taught Country, unit, family. That was the USAF order in 1976. Religion and God did not enter into it. And looking out for your unit automatically fulfilled the first. We were also taught not to die for our country but to make sure the other SOB died for his. Sometimes levity eased the cold war stresses.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh is that why you bubble heads were always odd ducks? Too much time underwater in close quarters?

When I was in the Marine Corps, I would say it was first my unit, and then the Corps, country, etc. Really, it was primarily the people that served right alongside me though.
That's what it boils down to, isn't it? The old instruction movies always stressed that if you did something wrong, you might be in danger of life and limb, but you'd also be separated form your outfit - the latter being the ultimate threat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies