Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times

Advertisements

"On Tuesday 4/29, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in two cases testing the authority of police to conduct a warrantless search of an arrested person's cell phone.

For the most part, the justices' rulings in cases dealing with the Fourth Amendment go largely unnoticed by the public. Most citizens are not interested in these cases the way they are in issues like same-sex marriage or gun control. On the whole, Americans don't worry too much about search-and-seizure issues because they think these cases don't apply to them."

Taken from: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/28/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t4

If you are arrested should police have the right to look through your phone without a warrant?

.....and discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I'd have no problem letting them look at my phone record...I have nothing to hide.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically its just another test case of a new item. They will be deciding if you have a reason expectation of privacy . But not many will search it if your under arrest and they control they phone. Basically they have time to get a warrant which controls many searches when under arrest versus detained with probable cause to search. Like vehicle search it can be different under different situations. Regardless must show probable cause to search to get admitted as evidence. in court. The basic governing factor is reasonableness depending on circumstances and probable cause regardless.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:27 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,907 times
If you are doing nothing illegal there's nothing to worry about, however, I do think they should need a warrant simply because there may be corrupt officers who just want to have a little fun at your expense. Obtaining a warrant would put more stock in what they are doing.
As far as privacy, we're being watched by cameras probably 90% of the time anyway. Sadly privacy was washed out to sea thanks to technology.
So yes, cops should be able to search your phone, in this day and age it's the same as in the old days them looking through your file cabinets for clues.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I believe cell phones should be treated the same as a car or residence. Most of the time a warrant is required, but there are exceptions. So if you are arrested for public intoxication, as an example, the cop should NOT be allowed to do anything with your phone except secure it with the rest of your property to ensure you receive it back after you are released.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times
They can search my phone, but must promise not to drop it. Dang screen fractures if dropped.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
The question also comes up in that what appears on your phone might not actually be on the phone but stored elsewhere and only displayed on the phone's screen. At that point, the police are also searching other locations where you have that data stored. It could also be that the data is stored in a location that you do not own or is shared by another person or owned by a company. In that case the police are searching though the data owned by others in locations owned by others.

For example, you have a remote access app on your phone that loads the user credentials and password to access the remote system. On that remote system is an email application that has as it's source, data located on yet another remote server. The police would in effect not only be accessing the first remote source but a 2nd one as well and that one could be a shared resource the same as the first one.

They would then in effect be searching the property of other people or companies for which there is no reasonable cause to believe they had violated any laws whatsoever. That then becomes guilt by association or a presumption of guilt.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically its just another test case of a new item. They will be deciding if you have a reason expectation of privacy . But not many will search it if your under arrest and they control they phone. Basically they have time to get a warrant which controls many searches when under arrest versus detained with probable cause to search. Like vehicle search it can be different under different situations. Regardless must show probable cause to search to get admitted as evidence. in court. The basic governing factor is reasonableness depending on circumstances and probable cause regardless.
Whoa, whoa, whoa--the question is whether they can search the phone without a warrant when a person is arrested. Most people carry phones with them, which means that anyone arrested could be (and maybe will be) subject to a phone search. And this is not a "probable cause" search, but an incidental to arrest search--more like an impounded car than anything. So it's a bigger deal than you make it out to be. The Court, fortunately, has a decent record of 4th Amendment protectiveness and seems critical of allowing routine phone searches on arrest. Here's to hoping they follow through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
If you are doing nothing illegal there's nothing to worry about, however, I do think they should need a warrant simply because there may be corrupt officers who just want to have a little fun at your expense. Obtaining a warrant would put more stock in what they are doing.
As far as privacy, we're being watched by cameras probably 90% of the time anyway. Sadly privacy was washed out to sea thanks to technology.
So yes, cops should be able to search your phone, in this day and age it's the same as in the old days them looking through your file cabinets for clues.
There is that pesky 4th Amendment to worry about, that people bled and continue to bleed for. Keep in mind, this is a warrentless phone search case. I don't intend to share the data on my phone (or accessed through my phone) with law enforcement or anyone else by virtue of having the device one me. Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I believe cell phones should be treated the same as a car or residence. Most of the time a warrant is required, but there are exceptions. So if you are arrested for public intoxication, as an example, the cop should NOT be allowed to do anything with your phone except secure it with the rest of your property to ensure you receive it back after you are released.
I think that the usual rule should be that your phone should just be secured. I see no reason not to require a warrant to search a phone when someone has been arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The question also comes up in that what appears on your phone might not actually be on the phone but stored elsewhere and only displayed on the phone's screen. At that point, the police are also searching other locations where you have that data stored. It could also be that the data is stored in a location that you do not own or is shared by another person or owned by a company. In that case the police are searching though the data owned by others in locations owned by others.

For example, you have a remote access app on your phone that loads the user credentials and password to access the remote system. On that remote system is an email application that has as it's source, data located on yet another remote server. The police would in effect not only be accessing the first remote source but a 2nd one as well and that one could be a shared resource the same as the first one.

They would then in effect be searching the property of other people or companies for which there is no reasonable cause to believe they had violated any laws whatsoever. That then becomes guilt by association or a presumption of guilt.
Agreed. Our 4th Amendment jurisprudence is probably ill-fitted to the internet age. That's how the NSA's 3-steps to a terrorist rule seems likely to capture an unknown but massive set of data including information about massive swaths of the planet.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post

You're right, a smart phone is much like the file cabinet of old....but I'd hope the cops couldn't search my file cabinet without a warrant either.

I agree we're watched a large percent of the time anyway by various electronic (and other) means, but it just seems that every new invasion of our 4 amendment (and other rights too) rights is predicated on the logic of "oh, we already to this or that, so this new thing is more or less the same thing, so why not allow that too. I'm not ready to give into that way of thinking.

It's like the cops installing a GPS monitor on your car while it's parked in public. They say you're parked in public, and they could simply have a cop follow you everwhere for a month. Trouble is, they don't have enough officers to follow everyone they think may be guilty of something or another, so it's not the same thing. They are using tecniques that allow them to be essentially everwhere at the same time all the time if they choose to do so on a whim with no search warrant needed. That's far to much power to put in their hands on a whim of "we think he/she might be doing something wrong". If you're sure enough that I am doing something wrong (probable cause), then get a search warrant and do it the right way. Same thing applies to my phone. It's just like my file cabinet in my home office, if you want to see the contents and have probable cause, then get a warrant and do it. If you're on a fishing expedition of "I think he may have done something wrong, but we don't have probable cause, but if we can search his file cabinet we might find probable cause, that's just flat out a violation of the 4th amendment as I see it.

Personally, whether I am guilty of anything or not matters not, I'd still make them get a search warrant even if I knew I had done nothing wrong....because it's how it supposed to work. Would be kind of satisfying in a way to know you'd put them through their paces and find out after all that work you really weren't guilty of anything. Might make them think twice before doing that again to the next guy.....which is exactly what our rights are supposed to do. Make law enforcement think first and then jump through the proper hoops before tearing through your private things.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
If the decision is made to allow the police to search your phone without a warrant, expect a whole new set of apps that allow one to wipe their phones immediately (not like the relatively show process now) yet return it to fully functioning order after it is no longer in police custody.

I bet the apps are already in the works if they aren't out already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies