Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting. LA Daily News - New database links guns, criminal histories

"Aided by a new database that matches criminal histories with gun owners, state and local law enforcement agents have begun rounding up California's most violent gun-toting felons.

"The state Department of Justice and the LAPD have identified 110 fugitives, ex-convicts and other offenders who legally purchased guns then later were convicted of violent crimes. Some 890 others have been identified across the state."

(bolding is mine)

I wonder if other states will start doing this too? It seems like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I thought this was interesting. LA Daily News - New database links guns, criminal histories

"Aided by a new database that matches criminal histories with gun owners, state and local law enforcement agents have begun rounding up California's most violent gun-toting felons.

"The state Department of Justice and the LAPD have identified 110 fugitives, ex-convicts and other offenders who legally purchased guns then later were convicted of violent crimes. Some 890 others have been identified across the state."

(bolding is mine)

I wonder if other states will start doing this too? It seems like a good idea.
Felons are not allowed to purchase guns.. they were not purchased legally.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How can you guarantee that. People aren't allowed to drive drunk, but they do. An unscrupulous pawn shop could be an excellent place to find a gun and have no checking. What about fake IDs?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
If you read the story, they purchased the guns while they were not criminals (which totally blows the idea away that good guys never use guns for illegal purposes). Later, they were convicted of a crime.

California now has a database to tie newly convicted criminals to past gun purchases.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
How can you guarantee that. People aren't allowed to drive drunk, but they do. An unscrupulous pawn shop could be an excellent place to find a gun and have no checking. What about fake IDs?
Thank you for making my point.. unscrupulous pawn shops, fake id's are all ILLEGAL..

Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
If you read the story, they purchased the guns while they were not criminals (which totally blows the idea away that good guys never use guns for illegal purposes). Later, they were convicted of a crime.

California now has a database to tie newly convicted criminals to past gun purchases.
And once they are convicted of a felon, they are legally required to turn over any guns in their posession. By not turning them over, after they are convicted of a felony, they are guilty of violating yet another law.

United States Vs Bean (Dec 2002) unanimously affirmed that felons are not entitled to seek restoration of their gun rights.. Personally, I might disagree with the decision, but until its overruled in a court of law, felons can not own a gun legally.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Quote:
The purchases may not have been legal. But they were purchases nonetheless.

Those guns ultimately made to the hands of people who should never have gotten them. We've got to tighten this up.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The purchases may not have been legal. But they were purchases nonetheless.

Those guns ultimately made to the hands of people who should never have gotten them. We've got to tighten this up.
only 2 scenarios possible.
1) They purchased them after they were released from prison and/or convicted.. which is a crime.
2) They never turned their guns in after they were convicted, and legally required to.. which would be a totally different crime.

For the life of me, I cant figure out why they were convicted of a felony, and then a check to see if they owned a gun didnt take place. Why the search after the fact? The news story is valid because it points out that these checks did not take place before the felons were released from prison.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM

According to the article:

"The bill granted the legal authority to cross-reference criminal history and firearms possession information. Prior to the passage of the bill, the state did not have legal authority or technological means to cross-reference this information and investigate people who acquired firearms and subsequently became prohibited from owning them."

So the state had no legal authority to cross reference information and investigate people.

I'll bet this bill sure bothers those who don't want gun registration.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If they used FAKE ID's how could the police be tracking them down ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies