Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,265,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
I am so sick of the word "homophobic"

being phobic is about being afraid

TRUST ME - I am not afraid ... I am simply repulsed

if that bothers you - GOOD!

because being labeled homophobic bothers me.

You can't put everyone in the SAME CAN just because you think that your values are worth more than mine
You're right ... homophobic isn't the correct term. I believe ***hole would be the correct term.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,244,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
To the moderators. Are these constant inane threads really belong in the Current Events section? Perhaps there can be a seperate inane thread section that this can be moved to.
Have you ever made a sexist/homophobic remark? Really and this is worthy of a thread? Give me a break!

^^^^^Totally agree.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,322,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You're right ... homophobic isn't the correct term. I believe ***hole would be the correct term.
Truly...I do not like naming calling at all.

I just support the right.

When I read or, hear it I discredit the users stance.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,588,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
With hurtful comments being the current event of the moment, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever made a racist/sexist/homophobic/hurtful remark (or even had the thought)? Do you know many people that have?
Have I made a racist remark? Yes. Lots of times. The majority have been in regards to racist jokes. A few out of anger looking for the most hurtful things to say.

Have I made a sexist remark? Yes. Lots of times. The majority have been in regards to sexist jokes. A few out of anger looking for the most hurtful things to say.

Have I made a homophobic remark? Yes. Lots of times. The majority have been in regards to jokes. A few out of anger looking for the most hurtful things to say.

Have I made a hurtful remark? Yes. A few out of anger looking for the most hurtful things to say.

Some of the racist, hurtful, things I've said have included calling people "white trash" or "trailer trash". Don't get me wrong, I have also directed racial remarks towards black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, etc. The key is that it always comes back to looking for something hurtful. If the person is overweight, it would be a remark about their weight. So, even though I might have thrown out a racial slur in anger, it wasn't about the race in my remark, it was strictly looking for something that the person would take as offensive.

The good thing, if you will, is that it's pretty dang rare, but since I am nearly 50, over the years a comment, even every couple of years, turns into "lots of times". Additionally, the majority of them would have been when I was in that 17 - 30 bracket.

Now, would I not hire someone or be friends with someone due to their race, sex or sexual orientation? No. Would it bother me if my daughter started dating a person of a different race or even turned out to be gay? No, for the most part. As far as my daughter ending up being gay, it would bother me that there would be an increased chance that she wouldn't have children.

If you looked at my current group of friends, you're going to find almost exclusively white people. Why? It's quite simple, the area I live is dominated by mostly white people and the hobbies I have are dominated by mostly white people. In suburban Houston on the lake, you don't run into many other races wakesurfing. I only have 1 black friend who lives in LA. I only have 1 gay friend (who is more of an acquaintance - but with whom I'm having lunch with next week). I do have a couple of Hispanic friends and a couple of Middle Eastern friends, but the majority are white.

I believe the number of people who never make any hurtful remarks dealing with race, sexual orientation, weight, etc are going to be EXTREMELY small. However, I think most of the time they are made is for the hurt factor and not the prejudice factor.

Obviously, there are racists out there, and the owner of the Clippers is a racist.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM

552 posts, read 834,239 times
LMFAO, the better question is, Do I ever stop making racist/sexist/homo remarks?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,060,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
I am so sick of the word "homophobic"

being phobic is about being afraid

TRUST ME - I am not afraid ... I am simply repulsed

if that bothers you - GOOD!

because being labeled homophobic bothers me.

You can't put everyone in the SAME CAN just because you think that your values are worth more than mine
This has to be the BEST post I have ever read on CD.

Its so true.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,679,640 times
I dont think gay people think their values are worth more. They simply want their values to be respected. Personally id say that if any type people think their values are worth more it would be heterosexuals.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM

29,393 posts, read 14,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
With hurtful comments being the current event of the moment, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever made a racist/sexist/homophobic/hurtful remark (or even had the thought)? Do you know many people that have?

Assuming you now own a sports team and your comment/thought was somehow secretly recorded, would you be banned from your team's league?
Yes, yes quite a few and yes... such is life. I don't believe a single person that says they never have.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,322,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont think gay people think their values are worth more. They simply want their values to be respected. Personally id say that if any type people think their values are worth more it would be heterosexuals.
"Type of people"????

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM

13,396 posts, read 28,706,787 times
I hardly think there is a person on this planet that at one time or another has not at least once made or thought a sexist, racist or homophobic remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.