Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Neither groundwater nor air are confined by a dotted line on a map.

Anyway, who's talking about drilling here other than in the context that there is an increased demand for natural gas because it's cheap due to a glut from a lot of drilling?
No it is not a dotted line.

Our isolation distance from an oil well is 600 foot to drill a water well.

So, only the derricks within 600 foot of the border would be relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM

1,245 posts, read 921,596 times
Quote:
I think the Daily Caller and many posters here forgets the time before widespread fracking (less than 7 years ago) when residential natural gas was 200% the current cost.
A 150% increase in cost of over 26 years due to increasing demand from it being so cheap compared to other forms of energy is hardly going to cause people to freeze to death. But facts be damned right?

I just pulled a few gas bills, the reading for 1/13/14 to 2/11/14 the charge for just the natural gas was 110.04 the per therm charge was 0.64805

The next reading from 2/11/14 to 3/12/14 was 116.64 the per therm charge jumped to 0.83496

On to the next reading of 3/12/14 to 4/10/14 the per therm cost went up to 0.84906 the natural gas cost to me was 82.61

So basically natural gas has jumped substantially, and the per therm cost is nearly a dollar! I also did not include all the annoying other fees that inflate the cost on the bill, I just wanted to focus on just the per therm natural gas cost. So basically your claims are just that, claims.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:14 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,950,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
I just pulled a few gas bills, the reading for 1/13/14 to 2/11/14 the charge for just the natural gas was 110.04 the per therm charge was 0.64805

The next reading from 2/11/14 to 3/12/14 was 116.64 the per therm charge jumped to 0.83496

On to the next reading of 3/12/14 to 4/10/14 the per therm cost went up to 0.84906 the natural gas cost to me was 82.61

So basically natural gas has jumped substantially, and the per therm cost is nearly a dollar! I also did not include all the annoying other fees that inflate the cost on the bill, I just wanted to focus on just the per therm natural gas cost. So basically your claims are just that, claims.
It has jumped in the short term due to increased demand. Demand that mostly due the fact that it's still cheap compared to just a few years ago.
Natural Gas Price Charts 10 Year - GIS

Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 921,596 times
Quote:
It has jumped in the short term due to increased demand. Demand that mostly due the fact that it's still cheap compared to just a few years ago.
Natural Gas Price Charts 10 Year - GIS

I guess we will see if the per therm charge goes up or down this upcoming billing period. However, the past costs of natural gas isn't a reliable indicator of what future costs will be. Statistics aren't reliable either. My bets are since the costs of food and gas, etc are going up, other things will follow.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
That's part of it but the supply is another, since 2008 the gas companies were tripping over themselves trying to get this product to market and that resulted in a substantial glut in the market. That glut has been erased and then some.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

741 posts, read 762,502 times
Quote:

In its arguments before the court, the E.P.A. said the rules were necessary
to protect the health and the environment of downwind states. East Coast states
in particular are vulnerable to pollution blown by the prevailing west-to-east
winds of the United States. The soot and smog produced by coal plants are linked
to asthma, lung disease and premature death.

The East Coast governors have long criticized the Appalachian and Rust Belt
states for their more lenient rules on pollution from coal plants, factories and
tailpipes — allowing those state economies to profit from cheap energy while
their smog and soot have been carried eastward by prevailing winds.

In a dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia, joined by Justice Clarence Thomas, said
the regulation was unwieldy and suggested it was Marxist.
I see that the lunatic wing of the Court expressed itself. No response is needed, however. Each day, and in every way ... they dig a deeper and deeper hole distancing them from America and our values.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/us...ules.html?_r=0

Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,003,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Memo to environmentalist whackos - solar panels on your roof do not work when the sun doesn't shine. Windmills don't work when there is no wind. Hydro is great, but cannot be expanded to any extent.
Another words:

Folks will be flapping their arms under the clouds and sinking into a kiddy pool to
cool off

or

Hiding out in ice shacks smelt fishing because it will be warmer than their house.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,730,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
- EPA
But don't expect right-wingers to actually care about people's lives and health more than money (and especially when the lives and health we're talking about improving are more so that of minorities poor people). Any moral sense of human decency is an anathema to right-wingers. And it would be even more ridiculous to try to get them to acknowledge that this is a compromise (since the standards could have been a lot more restrictive).
hese new standards will avert up to 11,000 premature deaths, 4,700 heart attacks and 130,000 asthma attacks every year.
The value of the air quality improvements for people's health alone totals $37 billion to $90 billion each year. That means that for every dollar spent to reduce this pollution, Americans get $3-9 in health benefits.
The benefits are widely distributed and are especially important to minority and low income populations who are disproportionately impacted by asthma and other debilitating health conditions.
Up to 540,000 missed work or "sick" days will be avoided each year, enhancing productivity and lowering health care costs for American families.

Proof that those deaths and injuries are directly caused by coal.

What millions of Americans should have to pay more for less due to baseless acquisitions?

bUU play the morality card all you want, we will play the fact, logic, reason, and reality cards...

Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,712,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
hese new standards will avert up to 11,000 premature deaths, 4,700 heart attacks and 130,000 asthma attacks every year.
The value of the air quality improvements for people's health alone totals $37 billion to $90 billion each year. That means that for every dollar spent to reduce this pollution, Americans get $3-9 in health benefits.
The benefits are widely distributed and are especially important to minority and low income populations who are disproportionately impacted by asthma and other debilitating health conditions.
Up to 540,000 missed work or "sick" days will be avoided each year, enhancing productivity and lowering health care costs for American families.

Proof that those deaths and injuries are directly caused by coal.

What millions of Americans should have to pay more for less due to baseless acquisitions?

bUU play the morality card all you want, we will play the fact, logic, reason, and reality cards...
Sometimes I wish that people who dont want clean air standards would have to spend 24 hours sucking through a straw getting all their air through that straw. They would survive ok...but would they still say to the people who have asthma and copd...********* and the horse you rode in on. Thats what the Tea Party types are saying...the hell with clean air lets bring back the good old days.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,808,149 times
I blame Obama for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies