Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times

Advertisements

When bush took office we were reminded that the "adults" were back in power. Shouldn't knowledge of U.S. History be a requisite for a press secretary? Maybe it's a good thing not to have too much knowledge in this administration.

washingtonpost.com
Clips:
Appearing on National Public Radio's light-hearted quiz show "Wait, Wait . . . Don't Tell Me," which aired over the weekend, Perino got into the spirit of things and told a story about herself that she had previously shared only in private: During a White House briefing, a reporter referred to the Cuban Missile Crisis -- and she didn't know what it was.

I was panicked a bit because I really don't know about . . . the Cuban Missile Crisis," said Perino, who at 35 was born about a decade after the 1962 U.S.-Soviet nuclear showdown. "It had to do with Cuba and missiles, I'm pretty sure."

So she consulted her best source. "I came home and I asked my husband," she recalled. "I said, 'Wasn't that like the Bay of Pigs thing?' And he said, 'Oh, Dana.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
That is a bit surprising.

I remember it clearly, even though I was only in elementary school at the time. The teachers, the crossing guards and the parents, all looked like we might be facing the end of the world any day now. We even had Civil Defense drills twice a day for a few days.

Scary stuff, still a pretty vivid memory.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
I was in the Army when this happened and all of the military went on high stand by.
We were ready to go at a moments notice to where ever we were needed.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I heard this on NPR and read it at C&L this morning. She was rather sheepish about it all, but I remember it vividly.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
I also remember those 13 days in October 1962. Like NewToCA, I was also in grade school at the time. I wasn't aware of the details until years later, but what I remember at the time were the "Duck & Cover" exercises at school and my parents being very afraid. I had no idea why they were so afraid at the time.

I can't imagine that the Cuban Missile Crisis would not be taught in High School history class, after all, it was as near to nuclear war as we have ever come. Maybe Dana Perino missed that day in class.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I don't know about it being taught in school, but I have a daughter Dana Perino's age, and I might ask her if she learned about it in school. It will be interesting to hear what she and her husband say; both moderately to very interested/involved in politics and political science.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I don't know about it being taught in school, but I have a daughter Dana Perino's age, and I might ask her if she learned about it in school. It will be interesting to hear what she and her husband say; both moderately to very interested/involved in politics and political science.
I have a son Dana's age and I remember we talked about the crisis although I don't remember if it was taught in school. I remember my parents talking about building a bomb shelter in case we were attacked.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:23 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I also remember those 13 days in October 1962. Like NewToCA, I was also in grade school at the time. I wasn't aware of the details until years later, but what I remember at the time were the "Duck & Cover" exercises at school and my parents being very afraid. I had no idea why they were so afraid at the time.

I can't imagine that the Cuban Missile Crisis would not be taught in High School history class, after all, it was as near to nuclear war as we have ever come. Maybe Dana Perino missed that day in class.
Tell you what. Since all this NCLB BS was enacted, student are barely taught history anymore. My kid is in the eighth grade and has yet to be taught about the Civil War or Revolutionary War. Many schools are just dropping history as a luxury that can no longer be afforded.

Now it is all reading and math aptitude, all year long. Test, prepare for next test, retest. Kids are not learning a darned thing, and are not taught how to learn anymore.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
The Cuban Missile Crisis occurred because Castro was willing to nuke the United States with Russian warheads. President Kennedy agreed not to put US nukes in Turkey if the Soviets would withdraw theirs from Cuba. They did, and the close call was averted.

Next time someone tells you how great Castro is, and starts yammering about free health care and all those grreat old DeSotos prowling the streets of Havana, remember that the Cubans were eady and willing to murder millions of Americans with Russian nukes.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Tell you what. Since all this NCLB BS was enacted, student are barely taught history anymore. My kid is in the eighth grade and has yet to be taught about the Civil War or Revolutionary War. Many schools are just dropping history as a luxury that can no longer be afforded.

Now it is all reading and math aptitude, all year long. Test, prepare for next test, retest. Kids are not learning a darned thing, and are not taught how to learn anymore.

Bingo. Kids aren't tested as much for history- it's all reading and math. The first time I heard about the Cuban Missile Crisis in school was in 11th grade AP history. Thankfully my parents were big on history and I read voraciously so it wasn't something that slipped through my knowledge bank, but plenty of people have never studied it. Heck, in my college American Presidency class we just finished an optional session watching 13 Days because so many students claimed they only had a hazy idea of what the Cuban Missile Crisis was. So much of history is lost on students today because it's all about math and reading- many high schools only require 2 years of history to graduate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies