Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,239,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
It all depends on who's money is being spent. Our close friend always eats at the finest restaurants on business even local business meetings....because their employer pays for it. All of it.

So it's easy to spend money when it's not your money.
That is good.....it helps the economy....it is good for his business.....and a write off.

One of our salesman for drilling supplies has problems finding buyers wanting to out to eat.

In the summer......we just do not have time.....his boss wants to see a number of all three meals on his charge accounts for clients.....and one major outing each year per client......we always take the Red Wing package in Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 AM

17,388 posts, read 11,913,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Winco isn't a great example. They were in business, owned by private folks, for almost 20 years before they became company owned. Those individuals took the risk. The employees came in with little risk and no capital investment.

Most people don't have what it takes to start or revive a business. They talk a big game, but when they have to cough up cash or put in more time, they don't want to do it.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Looks like Seattle is planning on making a bold statement. This still has to go to vote for an approval with the City Council, but it has moved closer to becoming reality.

"Under the terms of the plan, small businesses with fewer than 500 workers must raise wages to a minimum of $15 per hour over the next seven years. Those with more than 500 workers must meet that level within three years.

Once the $15 level is reached, further rises will be linked to cost of living increases, said Murray, a Democrat who took office in January with a $15 minimum-wage law as one of his administration's objectives."
Seattle mayor plans to raise minimum wage to $15 over three to seven years | Reuters
This is a good start and I hope once it spreads to the rest of the nation it will be up to $22 an hour. Get the country back to reality.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
This is a good start and I hope once it spreads to the rest of the nation it will be up to $22 an hour. Get the country back to reality.
People will be paid what they are worth....if they insist on it.

But, many will sit back and wait for others to pass laws.

Just keep waiting......

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,041,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Perfectly example right there. Hard to sell things that are easier on the budget when you are being forced to pay your employees more than they are worth.
The mark up that most restaurants do make them anything but affordable. Also, the cafe will be easier on the budget for their customers.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
People will be paid what they are worth....if they insist on it.

But, many will sit back and wait for others to pass laws.

Just keep waiting......
What someone is worth is a subjective term. I have yet to see anyone who says people should get paid what their worth give me a mathematical equation that figures out what someone is worth.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What someone is worth is a subjective term. I have yet to see anyone who says people should get paid what their worth give me a mathematical equation that figures out what someone is worth.
That is up to them.....not me.

I can tell you there are two guys working for me.....nether graduated HS.

They do very well....because they are worth it.

Then the other end.....those who settle....and what they settle for is what they are worth.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
That is up to them.....not me.

I can tell you there are two guys working for me.....nether graduated HS.

They do very well....because they are worth it.

Then the other end.....those who settle....and what they settle for is what they are worth.
Because worth is a subjective term and not something to base a minimum wage off of. One can be worth their pay as long as it is at or above minimum wage.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Because worth is a subjective term and not something to base a minimum wage off of. One can be worth their pay as long as it is at or above minimum wage.
That is why the minimum wage is harmful.

It gives the employer an easy out.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
That is why the minimum wage is harmful.

It gives the employer an easy out.
Ah, you would rather it be harmful to employees who would be working much lower than minimum wage because it would be much easier for employers to get together and figure workers aren't worth much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies