Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,462,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Since the Constitution seems to be a right wing policy these days, let's start with that.
Huh? The Constitution was the most progressive article created of its time. And no, the Constitution as it stands today is not right wing policy. Nor is it left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 AM

924 posts, read 664,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
CCW laws
Lower taxes
Securing the border will do even more.

The New Deal and The Great Society just spent money we do not have to buy votes...
Money we don't have because Reagan, Nixon, and both Bushs slashed taxes.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,248,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
We have jobs......or, at least we did.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,982,546 times
Quote:
Yes, people got to keep more of their own money. Tragic. Truthfully, I've lived well under both Democrat and Republican Presidents. Often the market forces are somewhat independent of Presidents. That being said, to me, it was a quality of life issue as a business owner. Did I have more work, more headaches, more onerous regulations or not? Those are the things I have seen change from one President to the next and generally, Republican Presidents have been better for me as a business owner.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,248,003 times
Quote:
Do you think that money would still be in the budget???

Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do you think that money would still be in the budget???
It's hard to say.

Look at total tax revenue, and multiply it by the difference of tax rates between Reagan and FDR and see how astronomically smaller the deficit would be.

Either way our current fiscal predicament would be much less daunting, if it all, if our "government is the problem" administrations didn't slash tax rates in half.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,982,546 times
Quote:
It's hard to say.

Look at total tax revenue, and multiply it by the difference of tax rates between Reagan and FDR and see how astronomically smaller the deficit would be.

Either way our current fiscal predicament would be much less daunting, if it all, if our "government is the problem" administrations didn't slash tax rates in half.
That is an opinion that is countered by a number of economists, much like you can find economists to support your position. Thus, at the end of the day, it boils down to what you, personally, think is the right thing for this country or not. For me, I support Republican policies, including cutting taxes.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That is an opinion that is countered by a number of economists, much like you can find economists to support your position. Thus, at the end of the day, it boils down to what you, personally, think is the right thing for this country or not. For me, I support Republican policies, including cutting taxes.
I applaud your willingness to admit that there are two sides to the coin.

That said, I think with the way automation is taking over jobs, were going to need a robust social system within government in the coming decades, and (despite corruption and greed) at the end of the day the government works for us and corporations do not. So I've, hesitantly, tied my rope to the people of the nation, rather than a handful of board room members.

Edit: Let me clarify: the democrats are doing a pathetic job of what I think should happen in government, but they aren't quite as destructive as the GOP.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
We have large deficits because rich folks like Ronnie Raygun would rather loan money to the government than pay taxes.

FWIW - Social Security and Medicare could be made solvent by placing the taxes on all income from all sources, with a 80th percentile deduction, and adjusting the rate so current taxes completely support current expenses.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well I thought this thread would be a list of Republican accomplishments, like ending Jim Crow, the interstate highway system, ending the cold war, welfare reform, etc. Not really sure what this thread is about now though.
Republican != Right Wing. Well, at least didn't used to.

Quote:
They support fiber but not to have the government pay for it. They support rail but not to have government pay for it. Their stance on water right issues generally follow property rights. So, again, it's who to pay for it that is the fundamental difference. Those things they see as inherently better funded by private enterprise are supported as such. However, roads are something the two both agree should be the purview of the government and then it's just a matter of which public funds to use and how to raise those public funds (e.g. through increased taxes or cutting spending).
Unfortunately there are some things that the private sector cannot and will not provide. Basic infrastructure is one of those things. The capital costs are too high and the return is through the economic activity it enables. Heck, we have the best freight rail system in the world because the Federal Government GAVE the right-of-ways to the railroads. Just imagine the regional passenger rail system this country would have if we'd done the same today.

In France and Japan the government builds the roads and the trains are run by private operators like airlines. Governments in Africa are doing the same with 4G networks and internet. While here in the US we're passing laws to prohibit local governments from building their own broadband networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies