Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,800 times

Advertisements

You don't understand much about our political system, do you? Lol

Just one thing, you become subject to American laws when you are born or otherwise entered the American soil. No agreement on your part is required lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Sorry, but I'm a citizen of the United States, not a co-owner. They are not synonymous terms. There is no contract anywhere with my signature on it agreeing to be held personally responsible for even one penny of the federal government's debt. And I voted for my congressman to represent the interests of the people living in my area, not me personally, and I did not give that person power of attorney for me nor did he consult with me on any of his decisions or votes for my approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:43 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well I thought this thread would be a list of Republican accomplishments, like ending Jim Crow, the interstate highway system, ending the cold war, welfare reform, etc. Not really sure what this thread is about now though.
Really?

Name ONE "right winger" who supported the end of Jim Crow!

You, like so many, confuse ideology with political party. It is true that liberal and moderate republicans joined liberal and moderate democrats to end Jim Crow. But it was conservative democrats and republicans who fought against the expansion of personal liberty.

Thus it was regarding slavery, women's suffrage, voting rights, and interracial marriage. We see the argument today regarding gay rights and gay marriage.

Conservatives, by definition practically oppose the expansion of personal liberty. Liberals seek to expand personal liberty.

Not all democrats are and were liberal, and not all republicans are and especially were conservative. Look at the slaveholder democrats of pre civil war America and the republicans of post civil war America.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:29 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
The left wing has the GI bill, the new deal, social security. What about the right wing?
Social Security a good deal? You've got to be kidding.

Tell you what, give me 14.6 % of your salary and I will hold it until you are 65 with NO GUARANTEE you will get it back. And by the way, I will give you 2 % interest, maybe.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
But it wasn't and isn't unanimous. The right supports them more than the left.
The then Senate Majority Leader, Tom Dashele a DEM CO-SPONSORED the bill. He could have killed the bill just as Ole harry has killed over 30 bills. The DEM MINORITY LEADER in the House ALSO co-sponsored the bill.

MOST major dem Senators voted for the bill.

It is always amazing when 1 or 2 repubs vote with the dems many of you scream, "It was passed by a bi-partisan Congress". Yet time and time again you deny just how much the dems supported the wars and it is Bush's fault alone.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
It's working everywhere and these countries have less debt than we do. You're grossly misinformed.
Really? Which countries that have big government running things are "working"?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
No it's the debt of the country and unless you're don't consider yourself part of this country, you have your own share of it.
Because the crooks in Washington DC made a ton of bad decisions, helped along by the progressives, we the people should have to pay for it?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Maybe you haven't looked hard enough? Here:

Blame FDR and LBJ for

Yeah, it's the most populous state, but it California still contributes more than it receives from the federal government....
Explain to me why welfare recipiants vote Democratic and prove me wrong..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Really?

You, like so many, confuse ideology with political party. It is true that liberal and moderate republicans joined liberal and moderate democrats to end Jim Crow. But it was conservative democrats and republicans who fought against the expansion of personal liberty.

Thus it was regarding slavery, women's suffrage, voting rights, and interracial marriage. We see the argument today regarding gay rights and gay marriage.

Conservatives, by definition practically oppose the expansion of personal liberty. Liberals seek to expand personal liberty.

Not all democrats are and were liberal, and not all republicans are and especially were conservative. Look at the slaveholder democrats of pre civil war America and the republicans of post civil war America.
Really? It was conservative ideology that ended Jim Crow. Less government=conservative.

You can put any spin on it that you want, it doesn't make it true.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
No it's the debt of the country and unless you're don't consider yourself part of this country, you have your own share of it.
no, no we dont. We might have to deal with the ramifications of the debt, but that doesnt make it ours no more than your kids debt is yours. Its not..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:21 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Really?

Did you see me write conservative or even right winger in my response? I know the OP meant extreme right wing, which I am not so I limited my answer to Republicans because the right wing is a huge spectrum. To ignore the Republican's role in Civil Rights in this country is a revision of history that has gained popularity in recent years. And yes, Republicans at that time were also right wing. They believed in protection of rights as their primary platform and thus, if you get out of the context of thinking every single Republican is some super extreme right-winger, you could see why it made sense that the Republicans were on the side of Civil Rights. Slavery, Jim Crow laws, and women's suffrage were all about protecting the rights of the affected people. I can understand, perfectly, why Republicans supported those movements. You need to get out of the mindset of what MSNBC defines a Republican to be and actually look at the platform and the history of our party to understand what being 'right wing' and a Republican actually means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies