Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
This is absolutely stupid to get upset about. It is a translation, the word "God" in Arabic is "Allah". Would these same parents be upset about a translation of the pledge in German that used the word "Gott"? Some kids from the multicultural club wanted to lead the pledge in other languages, they did one in Arabic. The religious paranoia in this country often borders on insanity.

Good grief!
-NoCapo
This.

Arab Christians in, for example, Egypt (which has over 8 million Christians) and who speak Arabic refer to the deity of their Christian religion as ... 'Allah'. Just like you say.

It is constitutionally inappropriate in public schools (just as is the word 'God') in a pledge in which the students are led by faculty. Of course, the hypocrisy of the OP shines brightly through as he whines (and ignorantly, at that) about one but not about the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
Allah = God in Arabic. Christian Arabs say Allah too.
Those American Christians should be able to say God and Muslims say Allah. They shouldn't make either group conform to what others want. There is nothing wrong with having their own belief or name for the one they pledge allegiance to.

This is all getting so weird!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
The point of the recitation is not to pledge one's allegiance to a spiritual being.

Quote:
I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the republic...

Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I have a question about this.

As a Christian, you probably believe there is exactly one god, right? The one that you call "God"? And there is nothing else that exists that is a god. and your god is the person who created the universe, gave the Ten Commandments to Moses, and has lots of stories about him in the Bible, right?

A Muslim would say that he believes in exactly one god, whose name is Allah (the Arabic word for god). In the Muslim's view, Allah is the person who created the universe, gave the Ten Commandments to Moses (whom he calls Musa), and has lots of stories about him in the Bible.

If you say that Allah is not the Christian god, are you saying that Allah is a different god, but is not the one that you Christians believe in? Or are you saying that Allah, even though Muslims would say he has a lot of the same characteristics as your god, doesn't exist? Or are you saying that they don't understand the true nature of God: that the only god is your god, and anyone who doesn't understand that isn't understanding what god is all about?

Could you explain, please?
I think this would be better addressed in the Religious forum. I would not be joining you there.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's funny how some people believe being Arabic and Muslim are one in the same.
Funny how people can't see the difference between Islam and Muslim.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Just as Christians are go into the world and tell of Jesus. Islam is the same, except they don't take NO to Allah for an answer.

The Muslim Brotherhood front group CAIR chimed in saying, “Obviously in Arabic, you would use the word Allah, but Christian Arabs would use the word Allah.” Their spokesperson, Ibrahim Hooper, claimed use of the word Allah is “not necessarily specific to Islam and Muslims.” From an American point of view, it is, whether he is technically correct or not, to Americans, in America, it’s a specific Muslim and Islamic

Do Christians in the Middle East use Allah or God? Seems Christians of any culture would say God.......
Arabic is the first language in Middle East countries. To Christians and Muslims Allah happens to translate to God. In China it's "Shen". In South America it's "Dio". In Hebrew it's "YHVH". There is a "foreign" word that translates to God in all languages. Why do you think referring to "God" there is only one word - "God"?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:24 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Funny how people can't see the difference between Islam and Muslim.
Isn't that like saying people can't see the difference between Christianity and Christians?

On the other hand, people can be Arabic and be Christian, atheist, or Buddhist.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was taught that an Arab is a person, while Arabic is a language.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Not for all, but don't try and tell Christians what we know is not true! Allah is not the Christian God. One thing for Muslims and non-believers to say this. If my kid was there Allah would NOT be the chosen word! I would have my child do as non-believers hand down and just stand there in respect of others. All the while looking in ahhh how they easily put aside God and pledge their heart to another God.
So according to you there is only one true God - the Christian God? If that's Christianity thinking then Christians discount ALL religions that believe in God and pray to God because there is only one true God and he belongs to Christians who say "God". Where does that leave the Pope who refers to God in Italian as "Dio"? And you wonder why Christianity is under attack?

Last edited by softblueyz; 05-04-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Um, Muslims are monotheists who share a common heritage with Christians and Jews. It's all spelled out in the Old Testament. Same God, shared by three religious peoples, all arising in the Fertile Crescent of the Middle East. That said, I will agree that it gets a little messy with the introduction of the Trinity concept, which I always found nonsensical. In any case, I think this thread is getting side-tracked. If we want to continue in this vein, I think the discussion should be moved to the Religion forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies