Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Well, since dope was legalized in some states, maybe the liberals will be too stoned to turn out for the election.
Yes, because people from Washington and Colorado are going to vote in Oregon...

Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Then why are lots of people in leftist states moving to them?
Because they're much less populated, and thus much cheaper due to lack of demand. And people aren't flocking to all red states, they're flocking to a select few (Florida, North Carolina, Texas).

The vast majority of red states are places people don't want to live, which is why they're dirt cheap.

And guess what, as people flock to those few red states, they will drive up demand, which will make those places more expensive to live, pushing out the typical conservative demographic.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I gotta tell you. If you guys are trying to turn Oregon red, you have really taken your eye off the ball.

Your big problem over the next ten years is going to be keeping Texas from turning blue. The demographic trends in Texas are identical to (but about 15 years behind) those that have turned Colorado irredeemably blue. And if Texas goes as Colorado went, Republicans overnight become the new Whigs.
I live in Texas and trust me, you don't have to worry about this place turning blue...

Old 05-03-2014, 03:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I live in Texas and trust me, you don't have to worry about this place turning blue...
Yes, there's been no Democratic trend whatsoever in TX.

In addition, Colorado is still pretty purple.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because they're much less populated, and thus much cheaper due to lack of demand. And people aren't flocking to all red states, they're flocking to a select few (Florida, North Carolina, Texas).

The vast majority of red states are places people don't want to live, which is why they're dirt cheap.

And guess what, as people flock to those few red states, they will drive up demand, which will make those places more expensive to live, pushing out the typical conservative demographic.
Actually, they'd be more likely to push out the typical Democrats' demographic (scroll down to income):

President Exit Polls - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I just look at a lot of past elections. For example, Bush losing by like 6000 votes in 2000. Gordon Smith winning by a margin of 16% in 2002, Chris Dudley came close as well. Outright, the GOP can't win a statewide election, but when you throw in a few factors (i.e. this being a midterm election where Dems traditionally dont turn out for, the lack of enthusiasm for Kitzhaber because of CoverOregon, and the fact that the leading GOP candidates aren't religious nuts) leads me to believe these can be competitive elections.
Bush was close in 2000, but Oregon being one of Nader 's best states had a lot to do with it. Not to mention the state has become more liberal since. Also Smith is a bit to the left of anyone on the GOP aide running

Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Well, since dope was legalized in some states, maybe the liberals will be too stoned to turn out for the election.
Yes, because only liberals smoke marijuana. You do not seem to be aware of Republicans in favor of marijuana legalization, unless they are blatant liars trying to get liberal votes (by your logic). Why do extreme right-wingers need to make everything a partisan issue?

“What is the law against marijuana if it isn’t the Nanny State telling you what you can do and what you can’t do to your body and with your body?” asked Tancredo, a former Republican congressman from suburban Denver who briefly ran for president in 2008 and endorsed the measure on the steps of the state capitol."

“Proponents of big government have duped us into supporting a similar prohibition of marijuana — even though it can be used safely and responsibly by adults,” Tancredo said.

List of Republicans who Smoked Marijuana

‘States’ Rights! States’ Rights!’: These Pro-Marijuana Conservatives Make the Case for Legalizing Pot (Poll) | Video | TheBlaze.com

Up in Smoke: Why the GOP’s Views on Pot are Showing Signs of a Shift | TIME.com

Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The Republicans here in Colorado thought so too,

Old 05-03-2014, 04:18 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Colorado is anything but blue, the libs will lose come 2014..
So... we have a Democratic Governor. 2 Democratic Senators. 3 out of seven Congressmen are Democrats. Our State Senate is Democrat controlled. Our State House is Democrat Controlled.

We're "anything but blue"?

Old 05-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So... we have a Democratic Governor. 2 Democratic Senators. 3 out of seven Congressmen are Democrats. Out State Senate is Democrat controlled. Our State House is Democrat Controlled.

We're "anything but blue"?

3 out of 7 = less than 50%. Obama did worse in 2012 than in 2008 in CO. He only ran 2% or so above his national margin in the state. Not a blue state. 2010 gubernatorial and Senate elections would've gone red (even you would probably admit it if you were being honest) without the third party mess and a nutcase candidate, respectively.

But, hey, believe what you want. Maybe you think Democrats don't need to campaign this year in CO. Polling says otherwise...or are those polls skewed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies