Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't agree with the ruling, but it's not the end of the world. I'm mildly embarrassed for Christians that their faith is so insecure that it needs to be trotted out in public constantly.
It was not a Christian, or Christians, who brought this lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
There's social pressure to consider as well. No one at a concert is later going to ostracize you because you walk in after the opening act went off.

If you're well-known in your community or frequently walk in late to a city hall meeting, you're probably going to draw more attention.

So here's an idea: have an opening prayer a half hour before the meeting.

At home or in your private office.
I don't think you go to many concerts or public meetings. Concerts usually have special seating times for late-comers. You don't just blow in. Public meetings, OTOH, have people coming in and out at random, at least in my community. It is not common for meetings to start with prayer in Colorado, I'll add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:58 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The poster was referring to the fact that it's only Christians who feel the burning need to trot out their religion at the drop of a hat, not to the people who brought the lawsuit.

Quote:
I don't think you go to many concerts or public meetings. Concerts usually have special seating times for late-comers. You don't just blow in. Public meetings, OTOH, have people coming in and out at random, at least in my community. It is not common for meetings to start with prayer in Colorado, I'll add.
It is rather startling to know how many Christians are incapable of managing a single thing without praying for divine help.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM

778 posts, read 823,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I haven't been to many concerts or public meetings, no, but the ones I have been to were just the opposite.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
The poster was referring to the fact that it's only Christians who feel the burning need to trot out their religion at the drop of a hat, not to the people who brought the lawsuit.

It is rather startling to know how many Christians are incapable of managing a single thing without praying for divine help.
It's not just Christians, IME. How about the Muslims with the women's distinctive dress, the Hasidic Jews with their distinctive clothing and accessories, probably others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I haven't been to many concerts or public meetings, no, but the ones I have been to were just the opposite.
I'm not talking about rock concerts, BTW. I'm talking, say, the Colorado Symphony.

I couldn't find a video of my city council's meetings, but I found Boulder's. Note the meeting starts with roll call. I don't care to watch the whole 3+ hours, but you can if you want and see if people come and go. Back in the day, I monitored council meetings for the League of Women Voters (have to say I'm speaking as my own person here) and also testified, as my own person, about recreation issues, and people, including me, wandered in and out at will. Many speakers will show up to speak and then leave.
https://bouldercolorado.gov/channel8...er-and-archive

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-06-2014 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies