Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the shooting justified?
Not Justified 32 57.14%
Justified 24 42.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Disinformation.

Stepping onto the property with any intent other than good is trespass.
The shooter has admitted to firing at the sound, so I rather doubt he could discern the intruder's intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The shooter has admitted to firing at the sound, so I rather doubt he could discern the intruder's intent.
Intent was pre established by the perp being in the garage.

Maybe I should keep a questionnaire on hand for the intruder to fill out before I shoot them.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep....more times than not it could just be a neighbor noticing your door is open or heck...a police officer who noticed the door open, knew about recent thefts and was about to knock on the guys door.

You don't blindly shoot into your garage not knowing what the person was actually doing there.

That's why it's 100% indeffensible.

That's how people get shot seeking help after car accidents, or going to the wrong address, or coming home from college to surprise mom and dad or any host of other things.

People in MT tend to be a pretty common sense group. Gun ownership is rampant but incidents like this are fairly rare and when they happen, they tend to do the right thing with the village idiot.
Exactly... total flipping stupidity on the homeowner's part... geez.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Except that wasn't the decision made. Not knowing the kid's motives, does that warrant a death sentence?
Yep.

Only a complete fool would wait around to find out the kid's motives.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Intent was pre established by the perp being in the garage.
Oh, really? Mr. Trigger-happy knew the sounds weren't from somebody looking for a lost pet, say? How?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yep.

Only a complete fool would wait around to find out the kid's motives.
So... just shoot at sounds in your garage or random people on your property you don't know?

I'm not saying the guy should have walked out unarmed and had a friendly chat with the punk, but come on - "oh no - I heard a sound! Quick, fill it full of lead!" is exactly the type of irresponsible behavior and/or murder fantasy crap that gives ammo to people who hate guns and self defense.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe I should keep a questionnaire on hand for the intruder to fill out before I shoot them.
I thought "make sure of your target" was considered very, very basic as regards responsible gun use, but I guess not.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I thought "make sure of your target" was considered very, very basic as regards responsible gun use, but I guess not.
That only applies when the target isn't one of "those people" or "somebody who needs killing... I think... I mean, I'm assuming it's somebody who needs killing because I heard a sound and shot at it..."

Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Oh, really? Mr. Trigger-happy knew the sounds weren't from somebody looking for a lost pet, say? How?
You would enter someone else's property uninvited, in the middle of the night to look for a cat? That is some serious love of a cat to take such a risk. How about the normal person would knock on the owners door and ask permission.
In this case. The owner was a lunatic. The teen was a prowler looking to steal from someone. Theft can be a dangerous business. The owner will face due consequences.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Because they didn't ring the doorbell like a normal person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies