Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Criminals will still be criminals, they'll move onto something else. As far as they go some of the crime such as murders related to turf may be eliminated since control of an area doesn't produce profits. The biggest impact on crime will be to help eliminate crimes like the addict knocking the little old lady over for her purse. Many of those people are not criminal by nature but a product of addiction. By lowering the costs of the drugs they have less reason to commit crimes.
When pot was legalized in Colorado prices didn't come down. From what I understand heroin is fairly inexpensive. The addict is still committing crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
He said a doctor proscribed him 8 ounces of weed a day ....
8 ounces? Do you know how much 8 ounces is? It's probably 8 grams.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When pot was legalized in Colorado prices didn't come down.
That's my understanding too however I would assume you can now legally grow you own. I'd give it a few years and see where the prices go, it has to come down some as more companies become involved. Certainly if the government is going to tax it at some ridiculous amount and there is no lowering of the costs then the crime would continue for the harder drugs like heroin.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
I'm convinced that the vast majority of crime in the US would go away if drugs were legalized
Holland and Portugal have experimented with legalization/decriminalization, but crime did not go up, it skyrocketed.

The Holland (Dutch) Experiment

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

The Portuguese Experiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).

Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You don't think the price would come down as more legit businesses compete ( government stores are not legit businesses or free market)?

Yes. I do. As history has shown, prohibition does not work.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Holland and Portugal have experimented with legalization/decriminalization, but crime did not go up, it skyrocketed.

The Holland (Dutch) Experiment

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

The Portuguese Experiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).

That is because decriminalization is NOT legalization. Decriminalization is a band aid, and while folks may not get locked up for possession, decriminalization still allows the black market to flourish.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's my understanding too however I would assume you can now legally grow you own.
I'm not sure but I don't believe you can.

Quote:
I'd give it a few years and see where the prices go, it has to come down some as more companies become involved. Certainly if the government is going to tax it at some ridiculous amount and there is no lowering of the costs then the crime would continue for the harder drugs like heroin.
You can't just get involved. You have to get licensed and approved by the state and they will limit that. From what I've read the crime of selling out of state cigarettes is only increasing in place like NY.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That is because decriminalization is NOT legalization. Decriminalization is a band aid, and while folks may not get locked up for possession, decriminalization still allows the black market to flourish.
Very high taxes allow the black market to flourish.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Lightbulb I'm convinced that the vast majority of crime in the US would go away if drugs were legalized

Majority?

Doubtful.

The crime rate would probably decrease, but the criminal element would simply move to another activity. The gutter trash wouldn't suddenly "see the light" and mend their ways.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,381,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You need to try marijuana.

That is really all you need.
Why would anyone "need" to do drugs. And don't bring up medical reasons, the vast majority of smokers out there do not have any kind of sickness that warrants them getting stoned.

My solution to drug crimes : death penalty for all drug dealers. No exception. Like they do in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies