Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Second Amendment says plainly, "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged." That is not a "notion." That is the Constitution.
Hope Hillary doesn't plan on running in 2016. If she is, she just made a very serious mistake. Witness the blue state residents' recent overall refusal to register their guns in CT and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Probably because for a long time Chicago had stricter gun laws and yet their murder rates was still 5x higher than the rest of the state.

The real irony is that Chicago pols and gun control advocates always blame "other states" or "the rest of the state" for their gun woes.

The non-Chicago part of Illinois has a murder rate comparable to Canada.

The real issue in Chicago is that most of the murders are gang related (75%) and involve minorities. The city has found that they can basically get away with not addressing the problem because they are politically immune and they don't want to spend the money on diversion programs etc.
Why would Chicago have the same murder rate as a bunch of corn fields?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 AM

94 posts, read 76,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Why would Chicago have the same murder rate as a bunch of corn fields?
You completely missed the point. There's still people living out in those corn fields, or non-Chicago part of Illinois.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
She is right.

Not everyone should have a gun and guns shouldn't be allowed in certain places.

Can you imagine all of the fans having a gun on their hip at football games?
First of all, when Florida decided to pass a CCW back in the late 1980's, many a person said it would be the wild west all over again. Every one of those people, including some prominent local reporters had to eat crow, because the overwhelming majority of CCW holders have never broken the law, and crime went down.

As to Hillary's comment, she must think she can win if she runs without the 2nd Amendment supporters vote, since Obama did.
Both she and Jeb Bush have hurt themselves in recent weeks, assuming either are running.
For this countries sake, I hope we can do better than another Bush or Clinton as POTUS.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, when Florida decided to pass a CCW back in the late 1980's, many a person said it would be the wild west all over again. Every one of those people, including some prominent local reporters had to eat crow, because the overwhelming majority of CCW holders have never broken the law, and crime went down.

As to Hillary's comment, she must think she can win if she runs without the 2nd Amendment supporters vote, since Obama did.
Both she and Jeb Bush have hurt themselves in recent weeks, assuming either are running.
For this countries sake, I hope we can do better than another Bush or Clinton as POTUS.
Amen!! Its gotten to be a dynasty in DC. Neither of the big 2 have anything worth a hoot though. We have had to vote the lesser evil for far to long. Not since Reagan have I been sure in my vote, and there were still qualms there.
It would be nice if regular citizens had an easier time running for office. Its a rich mans game, they have money, now its about power. Nothing more. And We the People get the shaft.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:00 PM

338 posts, read 384,924 times
I say good for her.

At least she is honest and upfront who she is and what she stands for.

Yeah, don't vote for that broad@! lol lol

Old 05-10-2014, 01:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Clinton is wrong.

It's not the gun culture that's out of balance.

It's the lack of mental health care and services that's out of balance. All the of mass shootings we've had lately have been perpetrated by mentally unstable people. The real questions is - how do we prevent mentally unstable people access to guns? Why aren't these people getting the help and medication they need? Why don't we institutionalize dangerous folks like we used to?

She used to be all about health care. What happened?

Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think the left really are "drama queens" when they think or hear gun.....football people are not carrying guns, maybe a few, but to think all those type of people are CW holders, is hard to believe. Heck, I've been to plenty of NRA events and very few are carrying, although you never know who is........... I feel very safe.
I mentioned football fans not because they are more likely to carry a gun, I mentioned them because so many sports fans, not just football, have lost their minds and rioted, trampled/killed people, smashed windows, turned over cars, set fires, destroyed property, etc., just because their team didn't/did win or they didn't like a ref's call.

I wouldn't feel comfortable if people like that just happened to have a loaded gun on them, would you?

Sports riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notable sports riots - FOX Sports Photo Gallery | FOX Sports on MSN

People have been killed, just imagine the body count if they were all armed.

So, I agree with Hillary, there are some places where people should not be allowed to carry loaded guns.

There are some venues where normal, law abiding, average Joes can turn into stark, raving mad, lunatics.

I am on the left, I am hardly a drama queen about guns. I am also not so paranoid that I feel the need to carry a loaded gun everywhere I go. I own guns......and I am for sensible laws pertaining to guns and I am not afraid that Hillary, or any other Democrat, is going to try to take them from me.

Last edited by Annie53; 05-11-2014 at 01:43 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Honestly I can't take any politician seriously when it comes to gun control. It's just something politicians and lobbyists don't really care about once these laws pass because they will be further away from where all the shootings take place. It is just a game they play to divert themselves from the real issues.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:47 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Honestly I can't take any politician seriously when it comes to gun control. It's just something politicians and lobbyists don't really care about once these laws pass because they will be further away from where all the shootings take place. It is just a game they play to divert themselves from the real issues.
I don't think it is a game they play......it's a response to what their constituents scream for every time there is another mass shooting.

"Someone should do something." "Something has to be done about these people getting guns so easily."

Well, that someone is the government and that something is stricter gun control.

How do people think politicians are going to respond?

People wanted the government to do something about 911......make sure it can't happen again.

So you get TSA and more government snooping into people's phone conversations, e-mails, purchases, etc.

Then everyone complains that the government DID SOMETHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies