Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, since everything Malcolm said is now the gospel truth...we may as well pour it on:
Unlike you .. I choose to listen to a kinder, gentler Malcolm .. The one who left the Nation of Islam.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Why stop now? Malcolm said it...so it MUST be the truth, right? Well how about more "truths."

Quote:
LOMAX: I have heard you say that a thousand times, but it always jolts me. Why do you call the white man a devil?

MALCOLM X: Because that’s what he is. What do you want me to call him, a saint? Anybody who rapes, and plunders, and enslaves, and steals, and drops hell bombs on people… anybody who does these things is nothing but a devil.

Look, Lomax, history rewards all research. And history fails to record one single instance in which the white man –as a people–did good. They have always been devils; they always will be devils, and they are about to be destroyed. The final proof that they are devils lies in the fact that they are about to destroy themselves. Only a devil–and a stupid devil at that–would destroy himself!

Now why would I want to integrate with somebody marked for destruction?
Is that stuff true also?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I'm sorry, did you address my actual comments? I fully understand who the far right represents and I also recognize that their objectives do not align with the objectives of most blacks (or other minorities). Additionally, I am not impressed or moved by the incendiary rhetoric typically used by the Republican party (eg, Democratic plantation). Now perhaps I missed it, so if I did, please feel free to provide me with the SPECIFIC economic plans that the Republicans have proposed that will specifically target economically disadvantaged black communities.
When you learn to organize your posts in a meaningful manner, I might be able to respond in a reasonable way!?

Until then .. not so much!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
I can't wait for Republicans to try and claim Malcolm X. Well, he was in favor of gun ownership...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Unlike you .. I choose to listen to a kinder, gentler Malcolm .. The one who left the Nation of Islam.
Oh....we're gonna play THAT game, huh? The "I'm gonna pick and choose which Malcolm to quote so that I can belittle black people."

Let's forget the totality of the man and just grab a convenient sliver of his life...just so you can denigrate black people.

That's ok...You play your game Mr. Close and I'll play mine.

You wanna validate Malcolm's words? Then let's not go halfass.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Ooooh...another oldie but goodie:

That Malcolm guy...dropping truth all over the place, huh?
You always look for the worst huh?

Quote:
Malcolm’s early attitude toward whites is characterized by a wary coexistence that hardened into hatred. His father was killed by whites; three of his uncles were killed by whites; and Malcolm’s family were driven from their home by the terrorism of the Ku Klux Klan.<--(Demmies ) (A. Haley, Autobiography of Malcolm X, Ballantine Books, 1987, pgs. 3-4) Even after moving to Lansing, Malcolm existed in a world of unofficial segregation and oppression in which blacks remained in positions of servitude and poverty. Malcolm’s time in prison and his conversion to the Nation of Islam did not soften his vision of white America.

Malcolm recalled having a conversation with an unnamed reporter sometime around 1963, in which the two men discussed Christianity in light of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The conversation seems to have been a surprise to Malcolm, as the white journalist spoke with him as a peer, as an intelligent man, and on a subject that was only marginally related to racial politics. (Haley, 346) So Malcolm’s conception of whites as “devils,” with no exceptions, seems to have softened even before his voyages abroad.

Malcolm’s experiences traveling in the Middle East in 1964 astonished him, as one would expect given his voracious, auto-didactic mind, and the trip caused a major shift in his thinking, as he experienced hospitality and spiritual kinship with many light-complexioned Muslims. He says of his realization at this time that he came to see humanity with “color-blind” eyes, and as a “brotherhood… all races, colors…together as one.” (ibid. 385-388) In Africa, Malcolm felt at home amidst the energetic nationalism and politics of the region, though his interactions with whites there were more mixed than they had been in the Mid-East. Though Malcolm expressed a certain kinship for some of the white Peace Corps volunteers he met in Africa, his disgust with the white businessmen who had come from abroad to exploit African natural resources was perhaps the more powerful impression. (403-405)

On his return, Malcolm proclaimed the change in mind he had undergone to an amazed press: “In the past, yes, I have been guilty of sweeping indictments of all white people. I will never be guilty of that again.”
Now you've been schooled .. again.

Go post your hatred elsewhere!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Oh....we're gonna play THAT game, huh? The "I'm gonna pick and choose which Malcolm to quote so that I can belittle black people."

Let's forget the totality of the man and just grab a convenient sliver of his life...just so you can denigrate black people.

That's ok...You play your game Mr. Close and I'll play mine.

You wanna validate Malcolm's words? Then let's not go halfass.
As I said above .. You want to pick out the man who was influenced by the radical white hating blacks such as Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam!

I choose the man who eventually became enlightened to the motives of those folks and abandoned them.

Read the last sentence of my last post.

Bye

Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I am trying to understand the logic. So European weren't responsible for sailing ships to a continent and picking up slaves because the people on that continent had slaves?
I don't understand why you can't get my simple post? Who said Europeans weren't responsible? How can you miss this part of my post? who sold them to slave traders who were white.

Quote:
And those same Europeans weren't responsible for slavery in America because of.......
Who said they weren't responsible? I didn't

Quote:
I really don't get these black people owned slaves posts. What do you think people are going to ignore history?
You don't understand the fact that blacks owned slaves too? Are YOU going to ignore history?

Quote:
And say well because some black people owned slaves then what slavery on this continent wasn't a tool of oppression and violence and racial hatred? Really?
Who said it wasn't a tool of oppression and violence and racial hatred? Where do you get these crazy notions?

Quote:
Wow so in your mind, what William Ellison changes the whole understanding of American slavery.
Wow in your mind you added 1+1 and got 7. That is your short coming, not mine. Who says the fact that Ellison owned slaves changes the whole understanding of American slavery? You're all over the place with your misinterpretations.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
And his slaves were said to be the district's worst fed and clothed.

Ellison and his family lived frugally; he was even more tightfisted about providing food, clothes, and housing for his slaves.

His harsh treatment may have come from the fact that his slaves were very bitter, because the men and women had seen their daughters sold away into slavery.

Also, the harsh treatment could have been from Ellison’s need to prove to the whites that he was not soft on slaves, because of his color. Sometimes his slaves ran away, and on at least one occasion he hired a slave catcher.

The man who started out life as a slave achieved financial success.

His wealth was 90 percent greater than his white neighbors in Sumter district. In the entire state, only five percent owned as much real estate as Ellison.

His wealth was fifteen times greater than that of the state’s average for whites, and Ellison owned more than 99 percent of the South’s slaveholders.

He never achieved a monopoly in Stateburg, but was the highest producing slave owner in the county.
A despicable human being for sure.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
As I said above .. You want to pick out the man who was influenced by the radical white hating blacks such as Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam!

I choose the man who eventually became enlightened to the motives of those folks and abandoned them.

Read the last sentence of my last post.

Bye
Bull. A gentle man that refers to black Democrats as "chumps?" That's kind and gentle to you?

You thought it was so funny...as long as he's discussing blacks.

But when it's time to talk about his thoughts on white people, well, now we've gotta talk about nuance, Mecca, Farrakhan, the NOI...:and all that stuff. We can't just throw quotes out there anymore, huh. Not without context.

But for quotes about blacks, no context needed.

What happened to the comedic tone of your thread? I thought we were all laughing around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies