Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

The Six Principles of the New Populism (and the Establishment's Nightmare)*|*Robert Reich

Quote:
More Americans than ever believe the economy is rigged in favor of Wall Street and big business and their enablers in Washington. We're five years into a so-called recovery that's been a bonanza for the rich but a bust for the middle class. "The game is rigged and the American people know that. They get it right down to their toes," says Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Which is fueling a new populism on both the left and the right. While still far apart, neo-populists on both sides are bending toward one another and against the establishment.
What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Six Principles of the New Populism (and the Establishment's Nightmare)*|*Robert Reich
Quote:
More Americans than ever believe the economy is rigged in favor of Wall Street and big business and their enablers in Washington. We're five years into a so-called recovery that's been a bonanza for the rich but a bust for the middle class. "The game is rigged and the American people know that. They get it right down to their toes," says Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Which is fueling a new populism on both the left and the right. While still far apart, neo-populists on both sides are bending toward one another and against the establishment.
What say you?
Wasn't Mr. "Hope and Change" supposed to change all that? Instead, he's made it worse. What happened, Mr. "I won" (who then cut off all cooperation with the other side of the aisle)?

Obama To GOP: "I Won"

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What say you?
i'm extremely skeptical that someone like Ted Cruz - or the bulk of republicans -- are going to implement a populist agenda

Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm extremely skeptical that someone like Ted Cruz - or the bulk of republicans -- are going to implement a populist agenda
Well, we already know Obama and the Dems didn't, even though that was what was promised.

I agree, the R's probably will be no better, but no way in hell can anyone claim the Dems are the solution when it's a fact that Obama, et al, have actually made things worse.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well "most Americans" voted for the same man twice to run the country.
And "most Americans" also voted for those politicians in Congress who are beholden to those that have deep pockets.

And yet "most Americans" don't like what is happening ?

I have no sympathy. You reap what you sow.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
If the left and the right ever stop bickering about politics and get together to fight what we have in common, which is being left with an increasingly small slice of the economic pie while most of the wealth is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, we would be a force to be reckoned with. Which is exactly why those holding all the wealth make sure to keep us at each other's throats. They are like magicians keeping our attention diverted so we don't feel their hands in our pockets, stealing what little we have left.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
If the left and the right ever stop bickering about politics and get together to fight what we have in common, which is being left with an increasingly small slice of the economic pie while most of the wealth is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, we would be a force to be reckoned with. Which is exactly why those holding all the wealth make sure to keep us at each other's throats. They are like magicians keeping our attention diverted so we don't feel their hands in our pockets, stealing what little we have left.
Obama's "I won" attitude has to go. By insulating himself and the Dems in that manner, he has actually managed to make things worse.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, we already know Obama and the Dems didn't, even though that was what was promised.

I agree, the R's probably will be no better, but no way in hell can anyone claim the Dems are the solution when it's a fact that Obama, et al, have actually made things worse.
Is Obama beholden to Wall Street interests? Yes.
Are Tea-Party and mainstream Republican policies of "moar tax cuts!" for the wealthy and fewer regulations on bankers and Wall Street going to address the problem? Talk about making things worse....

Populism can be very, very dangerous. And unless current Republicans and Democratic leaders can come together and pass some meaningful tax reform (including raising taxes for pretty much everyone), and some reasonable restrictions on Wall Street we may find ourselves in for some rough times and social upheaval as the millennials age into positions of power. Because to put it mildly we are not happy with the state of the country we are being handed by the Boomers.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Obama's "I won" attitude has to go. By insulating himself and the Dems in that manner, he has actually managed to make things worse.
Thank you for making my point for me. I'm talking about what we on the left and right have in common, which is a shrinking portion of the overall wealth, and how we are kept at each other's throats with political bickering so we don't join together and fight, and you respond with political posturing. This is how we all lose.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Is Obama beholden to Wall Street interests? Yes.
Are Tea-Party and mainstream Republican policies of "moar tax cuts!" for the wealthy and fewer regulations on bankers and Wall Street going to address the problem? Talk about making things worse....
Fewer regulations, but less funneling money to Wall Street. Or have you forgotten about all of the QE to date under the Obama Admin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies