Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So this will be where Darwin's theory is put to the test then, no? We're all big on Darwin. So there shouldn't be a problem. Just unnatural natural selection in action.

As an aside, I applaud you for understanding that the earth's climate cycles naturally. Most AGW followers don't even realize that.
So wait-- you're accepting manmade global warming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Have you ever read where a credible scientist cut to the center of a cancerous lung tumor and unequivocally stated "SEE HERE? This is PROOF that tobacco smoke caused this tumor!"
If so, please give a link to the peer-reviewed paper that presented the findings.
Again, I have to say; DO NOT try to read between the lines. Read ONLY what is actually written!
While it is commonly accepted that smoking tobacco probably causes lung cancer, I doubt that it has ever been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Talk to your doctor, and see if he is willing to state that there is no doubt about it. then ask him to explain those people who get lung cancer who have never smoked or been around anybody who did.
If you have irrefutable proof, I would like to see a reference to it.
It's human nature to rationalize EVERYTHING, and some have this need more than others. AGW/MMGW extremists are simply expressing their chronophobia. They fear the future and science is their sucking blanket.

Think about it for a moment. If it's the Sun, they know they would be doomed because there's nothing they could do about that... BUT, if it's a man made problem WE CAN FIX THAT! They decided throwing money at it and making everyone change their evil ways will fix the earth's overheating problem.

Read it aloud if it doesn't light a bulb.

Last edited by steven_h; 05-08-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Oh really?

Of course you don't realize how ignorant you appear, as you have no concept of scientific principles. Please disprove the null hypothesis- that global warming is not happening.

So far, in the history of this farce, NO ONE has disproven the null hypothesis. Therefore, this hypothesis would be considered speculative conjecture at best. The extrapolation of "CO2 effects" is an extension of this absurdity and dismissal of the principles of sound science.

The global warming cult is the enemy of actual science and its principles. Unfortunately, most of its disciples have no clue about what constitutes valid science, and thus are influenced by junk science and journalistic propaganda.
The 'null hypothesis' has been disproven countless times. It is literally a simple matter of checking wikipedia for a list of scientific organizations that support/do not support AGW:

Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, there are some (mostly Americans, and zero valid organizations) who say they don't know/can't be sure, and some who don't agree:

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the overwhelming majority of institutions and people within those institutions agree with AGW and support the IPCC.

And I'm really not sure how you can say AGW is the 'enemy of science'... forming an opinion about AGW before you understand it is pretty unscientific if you ask me.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM

33,534 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So this will be where Darwin's theory is put to the test then, no? We're all big on Darwin. So there shouldn't be a problem. Just unnatural natural selection in action.

As an aside, I applaud you for understanding that the earth's climate cycles naturally. Most AGW followers don't even realize that.
We realize that the earth has undergone many changes over it's history, mainly because we read and understand the science....You deniers should try that sometime instead of depending on repeating what you find on denialist blogs....

By the way, you don't seem to understand how evolution works either, if you think species can adapt over such a short time period.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Have you ever read where a credible scientist cut to the center of a cancerous lung tumor and unequivocally stated "SEE HERE? This is PROOF that tobacco smoke caused this tumor!"
If so, please give a link to the peer-reviewed paper that presented the findings.
Again, I have to say; DO NOT try to read between the lines. Read ONLY what is actually written!
While it is commonly accepted that smoking tobacco probably causes lung cancer, I doubt that it has ever been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Talk to your doctor, and see if he is willing to state that there is no doubt about it. then ask him to explain those people who get lung cancer who have never smoked or been around anybody who did.
If you have irrefutable proof, I would like to see a reference to it.
Are you seriously doubting that smoking causes lung cancer? You have to be the denialists's poster boy....

Studies have shown that lung cancer risk is greatest among those who smoke the most cigarettes over the longest period of time. The length of time spent smoking seems to be the more important of these two factors. The British Doctors’ Study found that people who had smoked for 45 years had 100 times the lung cancer risk of people who had smoked for 15 years. Tobacco, smoking and cancer: the evidence : Cancer Research UK

Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Listen up! No one in their right mind wants a carbon tax, PERIOD! Lets call "climate change" a conspiracy theory, and your "climate change doomsday scenarios" conspiracy theories as well. You can't change weather by throwing money at, wild fires, floods, and for heaven sakes stop building houses 3 feet from the ocean!!!
Oh and leaving a pile of quarters for a tornado thats coming will NOT make the tornado stop and think, "what am I doing!!??" "Maybe I should stop tornadoing!
I'm in my right mind and not only want it, but I love my provinces carbon tax....It has decreased my income taxes.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Listen up! No one in their right mind wants a carbon tax, PERIOD! Lets call "climate change" a conspiracy theory, and your "climate change doomsday scenarios" conspiracy theories as well. You can't change weather by throwing money at, wild fires, floods, and for heaven sakes stop building houses 3 feet from the ocean!!!
Oh and leaving a pile of quarters for a tornado thats coming will NOT make the tornado stop and think, "what am I doing!!??" "Maybe I should stop tornadoing!
It's not a conspiracy theory that's idiotic.

Conspiracy usually involves human beings conspiring, not forces of nature reacting to human activities.

A conspiracy theory is more like 'they're trying to convince us that AGW is real so they can tax us and take away our freedoms'-- in this scenario, you believe that the government is conspiring to take away your freedoms.

Conspiracy theories thrive on your distrust of others, authority, government, science, etc... which is why the Heartland Institute and right wingers like Alex Jones use them-- because certain Americans are extremely paranoid about their 'freedoms', and it is easy to make money/win votes by exploiting that.

And in your last sentence, you're describing superstition-- the belief that you can control things that are probably beyond your control. AGWs do NOT think that they can control the weather, only lessen the impact of destructive human activities by not doing them so much.

Taxation is a strategy for decreasing destructive activities... it isn't the ONLY strategy, just one that seems relatively easy to implement. But if you have any other ideas, you should share them.

Please learn what these terms mean before you start throwing them around... you'll be more persuasive and appear more intelligent.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post

Conspiracy usually involves human beings conspiring, not forces of nature reacting to human activities.

A conspiracy theory is more like 'they're trying to convince us that AGW is real so they can tax us and take away our freedoms'-- in this scenario, you believe that the government is conspiring to take away your freedoms.

Conspiracy theories thrive on your distrust of others, authority, government, science, etc... which is why the Heartland Institute and right wingers like Alex Jones use them-- because certain Americans are extremely paranoid about their 'freedoms', and it is easy to make money/win votes by exploiting that.

And in your last sentence, you're describing superstition-- the belief that you can control things that are probably beyond your control. AGWs do NOT think that they can control the weather, only lessen the impact of destructive human activities by not doing them so much.

Taxation is a strategy for decreasing destructive activities... it isn't the ONLY strategy, just one that seems relatively easy to implement. But if you have any other ideas, you should share them.

Please learn what these terms mean before you start throwing them around... you'll be more persuasive and appear more intelligent.
I never mentioned anything about alex jones. These are my own thoughts, unlike you, climate alarmists like you are preying on low information people. Please learn to read and comprehend better, your personal attack on me, discredits the whole climate change religion/movement.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post

Actually there is human beings conspiring, they're the corrupt ones that are pushing the climate change agenda.

White House Preps Carbon Tax - Let's Call It 'ObamaAir' - Forbes

Then again, I know how you left-wingers hate facts, and will ignore them when someone presents them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4

Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Actually there is human beings conspiring, they're the corrupt ones that are pushing the climate change agenda.

White House Preps Carbon Tax - Let's Call It 'ObamaAir' - Forbes

Then again, I know how you left-wingers hate facts, and will ignore them when someone presents them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4
Yes, this is a perfect example of a conspiracy theory.
Well done.

A+
10/10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies