Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet
No one is trying to take away an old lady's self defense.

Why is she being called an 'old lady'? She's the same age as that hot, gun-toting MILF, Sarah Palin, and they're both grannies.
I never heard anyone call Bible Spice an old lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why is she being called an 'old lady'?
One of our kids closing in on the big 5-0. If Ms. Ainsworth is an old lady I'm a stegosaurus.

In any event, I'm glad she successfully defended herself.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Your example of strutting through a park or Walmart brandishing a weapon is idiotic at best.
You think?

Armed man at Forsyth County park concerns parents

Open Carry Walmart. They freaked!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzw8jW0aCys

Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's easy enough to cherry pick a handful of examples to fit your meme. This particular person went with the purpose of getting the response he got. While he wasn't breaking the law, Walmart has a firearm policy dependent on the state law the store is in. They also do not allow video taping inside their stores. So it was a clash of public rights verses private rights. Walmart had every right to throw him out, and he complied. On the other hand Walmart does allow customers to enter all of their stores armed with a concealed weapon with a permit.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Firearm-policy
Seems quite a few people open carry in Walmart without issue.

As I said before, if your prerogative is to rarely arm yourself that is your right. It just doesn't make much sense to apply for and get a CCP, only to rarely pack. If the time comes, God forbid, you need to be armed and you aren't...

Quote:
One of our kids closing in on the big 5-0. If Ms. Ainsworth is an old lady I'm a stegosaurus.
It hints at the average age of people in here when at 51 she is called a "little old lady" I'll take 51 again.

I'm jumping off now

Last edited by steven_h; 05-09-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
So... Grandma gets shot four times and fires back but misses. I'm glad she's gonna make it. Unlike this kid, or this kid, or this kid, or this kid.

I don't know the intimacies of some of these statistics but if this paper is right, and I have no reason to believe it is inaccurate, in 2010 there were 230 justifiable homicides involving a gun. From 2006 to 2010, there were 1,013.

Whereas, according to this paper from the CDC, there were 62 accidental deaths of a child between the ages of 1-14 involving a firearm and 72 accidental deaths of a young person between the ages of 15-19. By accidental, I presume it's meant to be stated as accidental discharge either by "playing" with guns or something to that effect. The statistics cited do a good job of breaking down whether it was accidental, intentional, etc...

That means in 2010, there was a ratio of 1.65 justifiable homicides per accidental child death.

So, basically, it's like that old movie where the little girl says "Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings."

Only, in this case, it's really more like "Every time Bubba kills an intruder, a child dies."

Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
I'll accept it but I don't like it.
Fine. Fair enough. You don't have to like it. You've said countless times that you would rather the people who've defended themselves with guns be victims rather than have a gun to protect themselves. We get it.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So... Grandma gets shot four times and fires back but misses.
She didn't miss, she hit the thugs in the legs. Hopefully she crippled them for life.

Quote:
Only, in this case, it's really more like "Every time Bubba kills an intruder, a child dies."
So what you're really saying here, is that guns protect people just as much they harm people in the context of accidental shootings? We knew this already.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You've said countless times that you would rather the people who've defended themselves with guns be victims rather than have a gun to protect themselves. We get it.
Ridiculous. I've not said any such thing.

But I guess diversion is the stock response.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:

You are just hiding your true opinions and intent.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:

You have repeatedly said that you are not in favor of people carrying guns in their daily lives. That means that by default, you don't think the people who've protected themselves with guns outside the home should have ever had those guns to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies